Replace wife's Craptiva for a Tiguan.

Started by Arr32, January 07, 2017, 07:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arr32

Wanting to replace the wifes Craptiva and thinking about a Tiguan. Either a 2014/5 R-line or go with a the newer MQB Highline TSI. The other option is to pre-order a new 2017 R-line, but they reckon May time @ the earliest.

The alternative is wait and see the new Peugeot 3008 SUV.

Its going to be the wife's daily... and the car we take on family ski and holiday road trips.

Yes - Quite a variation in budget but thoughts/experience on the following appreciated.
2006 MY07 NZ Black Magic .:R32 - (Manual)
2013 MY13 NZ Candy White Tiguan R-line - (DSG) - (Sold)
2019 MY20 NZ White Tiguan R-Line with Black pack

schattenblau

pass on the pug, they are still persisting with that stupid interior design language with the tiny steering wheel.

tiguan it is.

2017 gti on stilts if you have the coin.

14/15 looks better though.

what about a used audi q5 ?

Arr32

Quote from: schattenblau on January 07, 2017, 09:56:27 PM
pass on the pug, they are still persisting with that stupid interior design language with the tiny steering wheel.

tiguan it is.

2017 gti on stilts if you have the coin.

14/15 looks better though.

what about a used audi q5 ?

Thanks - Thought about the Q5 but think the shape is getting dated and don't really want a diesel. Too much delay at the lights.

Trofeo

Quote from: Arr32 on January 07, 2017, 10:47:24 PM
Thanks - Thought about the Q5 but think the shape is getting dated and don't really want a diesel. Too much delay at the lights.
what do you mean re too much delay? Diesels are Damn quick these days, especially the Q5 3.0L models
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Arr32

Quote from: Trofeo on January 08, 2017, 04:14:27 AM
what do you mean re too much delay? Diesels are Damn quick these days, especially the Q5 3.0L models

Test drove a Tiguan 2013 TDI and thought there was 'sometimes' a half sec delay at take off. Same feeling with the newer TDI, but not as much tho. Don't get me wrong, love diesel Nm of torque going up hills and fuel efficiency...just not convinced with standing starts with the two I test drove.

schattenblau

^ agree with that

diesel grunt is best appreciated on the move.

petrol for traffic light grand prix 

;D

a used audi sq5 is still mighty tempting ...

or
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/auction-1226905597.htm

slowmo

Nice to see you trying to get the wife into a VAG bro!

The older R-line's seem likegood value, specially being AWD and having the same engine as a GTI.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volkswagen/auction-1219038236.htm
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

The Red Warrior

Quote from: slowmo on January 08, 2017, 10:14:01 PM
Nice to see you trying to get the wife into a VAG bro!

Oh, how I want to re-write this line  :o

slowmo

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

GLIDN

Quote from: Arr32 on January 08, 2017, 07:55:24 AM
Test drove a Tiguan 2013 TDI and thought there was 'sometimes' a half sec delay at take off. Same feeling with the newer TDI, but not as much tho. Don't get me wrong, love diesel Nm of torque going up hills and fuel efficiency...just not convinced with standing starts with the two I test drove.

Thankfully, that delay is completely gone when the ECU and TCU are tuned. I know it's an additional cost?
But well worth it.

I have been looking at tiguans off and on for a few years now. Never finding the spec I wanted.
do yourself a favour and get the R-line of either sort in the 2011/12 facelift only.

The non R-line you will eventually find yourself being car sick. That's driving it too.
Never once in my years was I car sick till I drove a the tiguan 2012 diesel to the airport and back.
The R-line is simply superb indeed.

The petrol version even the new 2017 version have the GTI engine. So if you went down the rout of tuning?
They respond very well to tuning indeed. Magical 50kw increase with a mere software remap. Also much better fuel consumption to boot.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Arr32

Thanks all - I'm close to buying a 2012 or 2013 Tiguan R-line TSI. I was pleasantly suprised, the TSI power is really nice and sits quite firm!

Last question - Is the Tiguan 2012/3 TSI engine similar to the 2012/3 golf R? I know the Tiguan is rated at 132Kw only!

The ones I'm looking at don't seem to have the LED headlights  >:( Is there such a thing as a cheap conversion?

GLIDN

Tiguan engine based off of the mk6 Gti engine not the golf R.
In your case looking at the 132kw 2.0TSI

I have tuned a fair few of these tiguan's, a simple remap nothing else will take them to approx 200kw.
Best of all typically see a 15% improvement in fuel efficiency also if you don't drive it like you stole it.

Regarding headlights, you can retrofit OEM LED lights.
With some coding etc. if you wanted to go down that route.

Last thing is these motors are good to support 265-280kw
With simply a downpipe, K04 turbo, intake and some software.

The best left to last?
The Tiguan handles better and also has a better weight balance then a Golf R.

Arr32

Quote from: GLIDN on January 10, 2017, 07:35:36 AM
Tiguan engine based off of the mk6 Gti engine not the golf R.
In your case looking at the 132kw 2.0TSI

I have tuned a fair few of these tiguan's, a simple remap nothing else will take them to approx 200kw.
Best of all typically see a 15% improvement in fuel efficiency also if you don't drive it like you stole it.

Regarding headlights, you can retrofit OEM LED lights.
With some coding etc. if you wanted to go down that route.

Last thing is these motors are good to support 265-280kw
With simply a downpipe, K04 turbo, intake and some software.

The best left to last?

Thanks Hennie. I'm very keen on the simple remap. Lets see how I go this week with the deal. Can you PM costs for the simple remap and costs for the OEM LEDs

schattenblau

Quote from: GLIDN on January 10, 2017, 07:35:36 AM
The best left to last?

interesting...
better than which R ?
mk5 ? mk6 ?
mk7 ?

GLIDN

Quote from: schattenblau on January 10, 2017, 02:09:28 PM
interesting...
better than which R ?
mk5 ? mk6 ?
mk7 ?

Well I would not add the mk5 R32 in the equation. Mk5 R32 as nice of a car as they are, they have a lot that needs to be upgraded to make them handle as well as they should.

I was providing a direct comparison between 2011-2014 Tiguan R-Line vs MK6R.
Track numbers and corner weights don't lie.

new Tiguan has not been around long enough for many tuners to go to town with and do comparison etc. between the different models such as Passat, golf, tiguan etc.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: GLIDN on January 10, 2017, 05:21:17 PM
Well I would not add the mk5 R32 in the equation. Mk5 R32 as nice of a car as they are, they have a lot that needs to be upgraded to make them handle as well as they should.

I was providing a direct comparison between 2011-2014 Tiguan R-Line vs MK6R.
Track numbers and corner weights don't lie.

Can you provide us with that info? I would have thought that the centre of gravity on the Golf would be way better.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Filx

Quote from: RS ZWEI on January 11, 2017, 01:54:11 PM
Can you provide us with that info? I would have thought that the centre of gravity on the Golf would be way better.

Tiguan 4Mo is 70 odd KG heavier than a Golf R as well right? Not sure how a heavier, higher riding compact SUV can handle better than a Golf R but also interested to see that info.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

GLIDN

Quote from: Filx on January 11, 2017, 02:24:51 PM
Tiguan 4Mo is 70 odd KG heavier than a Golf R as well right? Not sure how a heavier, higher riding compact SUV can handle better than a Golf R but also interested to see that info.

Never said it's faster, but did say it handled better. Seeing it posts almost the identical times or less than 1 second than a golf R with less power.

Engine sits a little further back and lower as well as doing corner weight. The Tiguan is more neutral.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f177/stage-3-tiguan-build-87730.html
happy reading. It's all explained in the above thread. Even within the first paragraph of the thread.

You will need to drive them to actually feel how much nicer they handle.
The Golf GTI and Scirocco/Audi TT are perfect examples.

The Audi TT/Scirocco all thou have the identical engine, actually sit a little further in the engine bay. Hence both handle better than the Golf GTI.
But with less rear room and lower headspace. Not to mention wider wheel base to add to handling.

Here is a video of the hot tuners challenge taking Harding Performance Tiguan up against a customers Golf R (been driven by a race car driver, all of the cars). Where by Guy harding also explains it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebLJ9fhNRrc

Arr32

Thanks Hennie. That you tube clip made me buy the Tiguan today. Great spec too! Doesn't have Xenons/LEDs but noticed the middle headlights come on when driving...even when the headlight switch is set to off. Is this normal and the DRL equivalent?

GLIDN

Quote from: Arr32 on January 12, 2017, 11:01:06 PM
Thanks Hennie. That you tube clip made me buy the Tiguan today. Great spec too! Doesn't have Xenons/LEDs but noticed the middle headlights come on when driving...even when the headlight switch is set to off. Is this normal and the DRL equivalent?

Indeed, that is referred to as the DRL indeed. It can easily be decoded if you don't want that on all the time?
The Tiguan I posted about, I was fortunate to drive a few years ago, along with their Golf R and Mk6 GTI Stage 3 cars.
As soon as I left, the Tiguan was going to be my choice.

Only once in 3 years did I find the right specs but with the 2.0TDI and not the 2.0TSI.