B5 S4 owners, need your advice!

Started by yordady, February 06, 2017, 02:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yordady

Hi, new to the forum a non Audi owner yet, need convincing.

So I've recently been looking at 8L S3s and B5 S4s, I've come across one of each I'm fairly close to considering of purchase, there is a big BUT for each car. They both have around 170k kms and I will list what I know about each car in terms of maitainance.

S4: 2000, manual, tidy, well maintainaned and has a good service history. Probably needs a new cambelt. Owner is the secind NZ owner from a sigapore import, has owned it for 5 Years. Replaced the O2 sensors, has had a gasket replacement, seals, valves, and every other small engine parts replaced. Still running stock turbos but seem to be in decent condition(this is the BUT). Drives well but has the 1st to 2nd gear thing that S4s have.

S3: fully rebuilt engine back in 2012, caused by a blown rod or piston(can't remember what owner said but something blew). Cambelt done in 2012 having only done 40k km, has been tuned in june 2015 with some upgrades. Drove it but the lower end felt weaker than a standard s3, but the boost kicked in at high mid range. There's an engine leak at the bottom front(could be cambelt seals), the CV joint will need replacing, and the oil was dirty even with constant oil changes while tuning in 2015. A fews buts = a big BUT

My question is, I know that S4s need a lot of maitainance but if I go for the S4, are there any other issues I need to watch out for?

Where is the best place in terms of price and reliability for cambelts changed in these cars and around what price?

They both are around the same price range, be good to get a market value estimate of the 2 as well.

le mans

Both of those cars sound like a maintenance nightmare. And that's from someone who owns 2 cars with over 200,000km.

Brett

Have owned 2x B5 S4 now. Both purchased at 200km. The first yellow sedan is now at 270km and still going strong tuned to stage 2. My current wagon is 210kms and goes well too on stage 1. Cambelt will set you back 1200-1500ish. Leave the S3. Underwhelming car when compared to an S4 and especially with the issues you listed. Advice would be either get the s4 you are looking at for damn cheap or wait for a well sorted one to pop up. My wagon might be for sale in a couple months if you are still looking then.
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

yordady

Quote from: Brett on February 07, 2017, 08:43:35 AM
Have owned 2x B5 S4 now. Both purchased at 200km. The first yellow sedan is now at 270km and still going strong tuned to stage 2. My current wagon is 210kms and goes well too on stage 1. Cambelt will set you back 1200-1500ish. Leave the S3. Underwhelming car when compared to an S4 and especially with the issues you listed. Advice would be either get the s4 you are looking at for damn cheap or wait for a well sorted one to pop up. My wagon might be for sale in a couple months if you are still looking then.
what would you say damn cheap is? Stage 2 on original turbos?

Brett

Depends on spec. 5-6k for a prefacelift silver sedan. Yep original turbos to 270k. I think one has blown now but the owner was trying to blow it as is going big turbo.
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car

yordady

Quote from: Brett on February 07, 2017, 07:40:56 PM
Depends on spec. 5-6k for a prefacelift silver sedan. Yep original turbos to 270k. I think one has blown now but the owner was trying to blow it as is going big turbo.

5-6k for one at 170k kms? That is dam cheap I was thinking of offering 7k....

Brett

It is cheap but when you factor in the work needed is it still so cheap?

Current:
Company car

yordady

Yeah not too bad. So you think I should offer around $5-6k?

Brett

Current:
Company car