urq review

Started by WRURQ, February 15, 2017, 07:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schattenblau

RobClubley

Bit dramatic on the music but pretty good!

Man I am itching to drive mine. :D
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

Quote from: schattenblau on February 15, 2017, 12:04:20 PM
fire up the  quack-troh !

;D

I recently spoke to a German bloke who corrected my pronunciation to "orr-di quat-ro" with the a sounding like in "apple".
1985 ur quattro

McDoof

The owner of that car does not deserve it. He clearly does not care about it.....
Triangle Tyres!!! Really?
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

FFS

It's amazing the interest these cars can generate. Many of the times when I go out in the quattro, anywhere, someone will come speak to me about the car, or there're people who pull up alongside and toot, wave. Over the weekend when I called into BP on the South Ak Motorway to grab a coffee a guy came back into the shop to find the owner and talk, he had never seen an ur-quattro in person and didn't realise there were any in NZ, he was very chuffed. As was I, it's good chatting to people who are so driven to come say something, who have that passion for cars.

WRURQ

When I took my car in to Stu's trim shop last year a mechanic saw the car and popped over to have a look, turns out he was from Scotland and used to work on quattro's in UK, he apparently had some brand new bushes never used in his workshop that he brought back over and gave Stu to pass on to me which was awesome.

Horch

low rent poorly produced article in my view with an old and tired looking early Mars red example. Love the electrical insulation tape around the steering wheel.

As for DCI Gene Hunt assisted in making the original Audi quattro famous...I hope Rohl,mouton, Blomquist, mikkola, Ferdinand Piech and Roland Gumpet all proudly watch  ashes to ashes on Netflix.   

His repeated model name reference of U-R  quattro is another disgrace. Its 'Ur' pronounced 'oo-a' the German word for original or first.

Was this guy clarksons caterer ?
2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

John Stone

Quote from: Horch on February 16, 2017, 12:34:31 AM
low rent poorly produced article in my view with an old and tired looking early Mars red example. Love the electrical insulation tape around the steering wheel.

As for DCI Gene Hunt assisted in making the original Audi quattro famous...I hope Rohl,mouton, Blomquist, mikkola, Ferdinand Piech and Roland Gumpet all proudly watch  ashes to ashes on Netflix.   

His repeated model name reference of U-R  quattro is another disgrace. Its 'Ur' pronounced 'oo-a' the German word for original or first.

Was this guy clarksons caterer ?

What he said......
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

WRURQ

lol changed title to remove the word "great"  ;)

FFS

I actually enjoyed it, shame on me. Yes, the car is a bit tired in places and there are plenty of better examples in Britain which could have featured in lieu of this one (I would have thought if anything was done to make it better for the show, the steering wheel could have at least had a new cover stitched on).

I for one am glad he is out there promoting the ur-quattro, (albeit in what I presume is just one epsiode of a series from someone I've never heard of before) and I think he's right in expressing surprise the ur-quattro has not been more popular- it is a car somewhat left behind in time and is probably undervalued given its contribution to motoring history. Articles like this should help with that, at least a little.

I agree, he should have pronounced ur correctly, but he didn't, I was mildly surprised, surely it's forgiveable. For years the correct title outside of Germany was Audi quattro Turbo Coupe wasn't it? Not ur-quattro. I remember for years here in NZ Audi was pronounced Ordi. Like Audrey without the r. Things change over time, I'm sure he'll get plenty of correcting advice on his pronunciation of ur.

Probably like the owner of the one in the article, I would love for mine to be perfect but it's not. I use it plenty and so the engine bay is grimey-ish, there's usually dust on the carpets, it's 308,000km, sometimes there's birdcrap on it, I don't seek out the latest car cleaning products (the other day I even took it through wash world *sound of everyones air sucking in through teeth*) and it's no show-pony. Maybe one day. Does that mean its rubbish and should be looked down on? I hope not. But like the car in the article it has blemishes but it still looks damn good, and gets serviced. At the moment it's for my driving and visual enjoyment so I guess I don't deserve it either 😛.

Horch

Again.... in my view.... I saw this ill informed rooster promoting himself as a well informed motoring journo  who was far from inspiring and did the car an injustice ... I felt.  To much camera time on the presenter and his juvenile spiel while the stationary quattro was out of focus metres to the rear or half out of shot.  Wasn't much footage without Justin Bieber in the frame is my criticism. Am I just getting old ?.

Anyway yes I agree it was common for Audi to be incorrectly pronounced, by non German speakers, as if it was audio without the 'o'.  Its no surprise then that Audi means to listen in Latin.... As the founder Horch was in German.

I consider the cause of the reference to Audi quattro turbo coupe was the LTSA of the day needing to have a full description on the antiquated registration label.  This was irrespective of its actual manufacturers designated model name.

Survey: What is on quattro owners label ? ....  Currently within my museum I have labels reading Audi quattro (nice) and Audi turbo quattro  (WTF)

Ur quattro or urquattro evolved in the market following the sundown of the 11 year production to signify its provenance as the genesis of quattro development.  Audi made no reference to the term  'urquattro' in any documentation in the day.

1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

WRURQ

Mine shows "Audi quattro Turbo"

FFS

Mine both read "Audi quattro".

FFS

Just carjammed the '84 (funnily enough Mars Red) WR urquattro I had back in the 90's, its rego reads "Audi quattro coupe turbo".

RobClubley

Mine just says QUATTRO
1985 ur quattro

Audidude

Not sure what's on mine (I'm at work) but I thought the original model name was Audi Turbo Quattro Coupe.
But happy to defer to Horch's knowledge base, which is very sound, and some of the original articles and advertisements do call it "Audi Quattro".

If the original model name was Audi Quattro (with capital "Q"), how was the later released non-turbo Coupe Quattro described?

'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Horch

Quote from: Audidude on March 01, 2017, 07:23:36 PM
If the original model name was Audi Quattro (with capital "Q"), how was the later released non-turbo Coupe Quattro described?

Always a small 'q' on the spelling of quattro. It was required due to a patent held by another company I recall, probably an Italian corporate. As such a large Q was never used or quoted in any format of the model name.

Non turbo was as you stated Audi Coupe quattro .

1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

slowburn

i love my coupe quattro,it is understated and never gonna be as famous,but she keeps a smile on my face and rarely lets me down and always gets attention. driven and dirty,wouldn't have it any other way

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Audidude

Quote from: slowburn on March 01, 2017, 10:21:36 PM
i love my coupe quattro,it is understated and never gonna be as famous,but she keeps a smile on my face and rarely lets me down and always gets attention. driven and dirty,wouldn't have it any other way

Must be damn near as rare as a ur? Or more.
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior