Replacement for lost Golf key

Started by boxdog, February 18, 2017, 12:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxdog

Hey

So I have a 2010 Golf TSI mk6 (nothing ...sporty I know but this is the only VW related forum I could find in NZ). We recently imported it from Japan and it came with one keyfob, I assume the other is sitting a drawer of junk along with some old chopsticks and a pair of forgotten schoolgirl panties from a vending machine somewhere in Osaka.

Apparently replacing this lost keyfob requires a huge amount of anal shafting and a heavy load lifting from my wallet, somewhere in the vicinity of $500-700 according to a Mr Minit guy my partner spoke to the other day.  Does anyone know how to get the replacement keyfob and the required services done a little more reasonably than VW themselves?  I'm in Wellington.  Thanks!

NZDoug

The wife lost her fob when the driveway was concreted.
2009 VWCC v6 4 motion.
Lost in a rush to save plants before the digger went through.
$697.45 from Giltrap AKL.
Our contents covered $397.45 and we paid $400.00 as per AMI agreement.
:(
HEY! HO! LETS GO!

slowmo

VW in Wellington quoted me $425+GST to get a key ordered, security coded and cut + $109+GSt to get it coded to the car.

You might save money if you buy a blank from overseas and get it cut here then pay VW for the coding.

There might be cheaper alternatives in Auckland - check with member GLIDN
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Sidbajaj

Quote from: boxdog on February 18, 2017, 12:30:07 PM
Hey

So I have a 2010 Golf TSI mk6 (nothing ...sporty I know but this is the only VW related forum I could find in NZ). We recently imported it from Japan and it came with one keyfob, I assume the other is sitting a drawer of junk along with some old chopsticks and a pair of forgotten schoolgirl panties from a vending machine somewhere in Osaka.

Apparently replacing this lost keyfob requires a huge amount of anal shafting and a heavy load lifting from my wallet, somewhere in the vicinity of $500-700 according to a Mr Minit guy my partner spoke to the other day.  Does anyone know how to get the replacement keyfob and the required services done a little more reasonably than VW themselves?  I'm in Wellington.  Thanks!

Hi Boxdog, Sorry for posting on such an old thread, I got exactly the same type of car Mk6 Golf, 118tsi, Jap import, and the same problem, did you manage to find a replacement cheaper that the VW quoted price?

vwlova

Quote from: Sidbajaj on September 24, 2018, 01:16:56 PM
Hi Boxdog, Sorry for posting on such an old thread, I got exactly the same type of car Mk6 Golf, 118tsi, Jap import, and the same problem, did you manage to find a replacement cheaper that the VW quoted price?

You'll be hard pressed to, a lot of the Chinese keys struggle to code up and are pretty unreliable. Wouldn't recommend it

schattenblau

definitely don't recommend a third party key/coding in a modern car !

recently went through the experience and it rooted my megane

:'(

brian

Quote from: schattenblau on January 09, 2019, 11:21:33 AM

What did it do?
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

schattenblau

the new cheapo key worked  ;D

but the coding used buggered the stop/start software - made the car think it had auto transmission instead of manual, so car had t be in neutral with brake on to start,
in turn that also screwed up the climate control software,
and the esc system, sport mode was no longer sporty   :'(

to their credit, the security company that did the key came to the party and covered costs to get my car back to original.

don't trust 3rd party diagnostics either, they do not have access to the latest factory files, and often not for specific models.

maxmax

If you have full insurance you might be able to claim it. My policy with Prestigio covers the cost of replacement keys (with a $250 excess), up to $2,500 in a given year.
Mk5 GTI, E30 M325i

Naekyr

Quote from: schattenblau on January 09, 2019, 11:21:33 AM

Yep I've had this happen too - but on a Nissan - car came with 2 keys but one did not work. Bought a replacement and coding from a third party store
Afterwards the car had issues starting and after another 2 weeks it had issues unlocking the doors and after another week the new key just died

It's back to normal now after taking the car to the nissan dealer, the third party covered the costs