How many Urquattros in New Zealand?

Started by RobClubley, February 20, 2017, 10:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

I keep wondering how many are around? Maybe a dozen? Or are there more hidden away?
About 60% of the 11,000 urquattros made were RHD. In the UK there are a few hundred left.
Should we start a register? :D
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RS ZWEI

I did start a bit of a registered. I think a couple of other forum members have a better idea than me.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

WRURQ

Agree would be great to know numbers by type & location.

RS ZWEI

I would say around 50?

As for RR's, there are 5, the 3 NZ new cars (Red, White & Black), plus two UK imports (White & Black).
I think MB's will be the rarest?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

WRURQ

Quote from: RS ZWEI on February 20, 2017, 11:53:55 AM
I would say around 50?

As for RR's, there are 5, the 3 NZ new cars (Red, White & Black), plus two UK imports (White & Black).
I think MB's will be the rarest?

Yes agree MB rarest here and UK too, is the Black one you refer to Rex's RR?

Horch

At one point 6x RR spec units with two since exported from NZ leaving 4 remaining

MB - 5 total.  Imports 2x Pearl 2x Tornado  NZ new 1x Zermatt. 

The rarest 857 Quattro being WR engine with Alloy block installed randomly prior to sport quattro 859 production. Only know of one '83 MY version in NZ
2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

John Stone

I've never heard how many WR quattro's are still alive here. I can think of around 15/20 of the top of my head and as I live in Northland, it's rare to see one up here - saw mine being driven through Whangarei by the previous owner about 16 years ago and then another WR owned by an ex-forum member a couple of years later - we passed each other in the main street through Whangarei one afternoon 8)
Some, like the ultra rare alloy block 857 quattro are not being driven much i suspect.
One was turned into a rally car although i cannot find what happened to it - going back a few years too.
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

WRURQ

Quote from: Horch on February 20, 2017, 08:39:58 PM
At one point 6x RR spec units with two since exported from NZ leaving 4 remaining

MB - 5 total.  Imports 2x Pearl 2x Tornado  NZ new 1x Zermatt. 

The rarest 857 Quattro being WR engine with Alloy block installed randomly prior to sport quattro 859 production. Only know of one '83 MY version in NZ

Good to see/know there are a few more MB's than I thought, especially in my favourite Pearl.... and a NZ new too in Zermatt ...

Horch

A count was in the high fifties some years ago of all engine variants.
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

RobClubley

I've never seen an urquattro on the road in NZ in 11 years!
1985 ur quattro

FFS

They're certainly not a car that you start seeing everywhere once you've bought one. I've only seen other ones driving on three occasions that I can recall, and only saw them the one time each. All many years ago now and only once when I were actually driving an urq myself.

I don't think there's 50 in NZ, maybe 25? But I don't know. At the end of the day there could be a good few peppered around the country I suppose, owned by people who have no interest nor acquaintances in Vask and so we don't hear about them or see them.       

RS ZWEI

Quote from: FFS on February 21, 2017, 10:06:45 AM
They're certainly not a car that you start seeing everywhere once you've bought one. I've only seen other ones driving on three occasions that I can recall, and only saw them the one time each. All many years ago now and only once when I were actually driving an urq myself.

I don't think there's 50 in NZ, maybe 25? But I don't know. At the end of the day there could be a good few peppered around the country I suppose, owned by people who have no interest nor acquaintances in Vask and so we don't hear about them or see them.     

Quote from: Horch on February 20, 2017, 09:51:07 PM
A count was in the high fifties some years ago of all engine variants.

FFS, I don't think they would have been exported?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

FFS

No, not in that volume. There must be a good few of them in hiding. Les, were those figures from a search on a partial chassis number or such, or was it a count up from known urquattros?

Horch

Count is based on confirmed vin against NZ reg number.

The model count spans from 1983 -1991. As this market is open the majority are ex UK sourced cars. During their life many had damage, with a number to write off status, however the lure to own a quattro meant many have been returned to the fleet.

One '86 quattro was torched and the centre of an insurance investigation. That didn't make it but from what I gather the rest have.  A couple have under gone gender reassignment to mock rally quattro's or repowered.

Enthusiasm to restore these cars is great but fact is they are very costly to rebuild even given they were primarily made up from parts bins from assorted models of the era.

Without question I am convinced there are a good number of stalled projects in man caves throughout NZ.

1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

RobClubley

Sounds like you might have a list? :D

If any of the projects are like mine I'm not surprised they stalled, the car just wants more and more money thrown at it! I'll get there though. Need another job.
1985 ur quattro

slowburn

i know of a definite 1 in palmy but i think he has another....i have seen the one and he doesn't drive it,he is a semi retired panel beater and has many 100/200s
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

FFS

Another was a white one in Tauranga with a broken motor which popped up on Trademe about 2007/8, or thereabouts. Does anyone remember that one, and know whether it was recommissioned or where it went to? Is it the pearl MB from Tauranga that's been at some of the Ellerslie shows?

Re the likelihood of a few tucked away, hopefully there are some parts hordes awaiting future discovery then!

I'm not allowed to wreck the WR, my 18 yr old daughter has pinched it from me and has started a savings account for its refurb, bless her. She's a cunning one, and I'm stupid, so when I tried to buy her out by getting her a different car, it didn't work.

John Stone

Quote from: FFS on February 22, 2017, 05:53:34 PM
I'm not allowed to wreck the WR, my 18 yr old daughter has pinched it from me and has started a savings account for its refurb, bless her. She's a cunning one, and I'm stupid, so when I tried to buy her out by getting her a different car, it didn't work.
John how about just buying another one.......
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

WRURQ

Your daughter is very smart... lol The Pearl MB in Tauranga that shows at Ellerslie has had one family ownership pretty much from new and passed from father to son, came from UK originally and moved to NZ with current owner, beautiful example that has been restored.