RNS 510 code

Started by JaseNZ, February 22, 2017, 09:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaseNZ

Hey guys my RNS 510 turned up today. I purchased it off of Ebay from Aussie and it was going cheap because it would show the splash screen then not go any further. I have flashed a new firmware onto it and all now appears to be good except its asking for a security pin code. I am assuming this is because its from a different car and does not know mine.
Would a dealer be able to give me the pin code for it if I provide the serial number and vin off of it ??.

I would also assume that if they can do this (I hope they can) the unit would have to be coded to the car ??

Jase
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

JaseNZ

OK so got the code from the dealer and now everything is bang on. Loaded in maps so that all works now as well just waiting on the nav ariel to arrive so it fully operational.

Is anybody able to point me in the direction of a blue tooth module , I am looking for a 9W7 module if at all possible.

Jase.

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

slowmo

Do you need VAGCOM/VCDS when you replace the bluetooth module? Or is it just remove and replace?

I still have the old 9w2 or whatever and I really want BT streaming which the 9w7 offers.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

JaseNZ

Quote from: McDoof on February 23, 2017, 01:58:21 PM
Quite a few on ebay for around $100 delivered from China
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Interface-Handsfree-9W2-Bluetooth-for-Tiguan-Golf-Jetta-VW-RNS-RCD-510-/272299428516
or you can go Aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20170222165644&SearchText=9w2+bluetooth

Thanks for that but they are all the 9W2's which don't have phone book functionality, that came into force with the 9W3's which is what I am after.

JaseNZ

Quote from: slowmo on February 23, 2017, 02:14:36 PM
Do you need VAGCOM/VCDS when you replace the bluetooth module? Or is it just remove and replace?

I still have the old 9w2 or whatever and I really want BT streaming which the 9w7 offers.
Really good write up here, everything you could ever want to know :-)

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/bluetooth-faq-for-vw-golf-jetta-jsw-9w2-9w3-9w7-modules/

McDoof

I just have a Chinese Android unit that does pretty much everything you could ever want. Problem solved.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

slowmo

Quote from: McDoof on February 23, 2017, 03:24:53 PM
I just have a Chinese Android unit that does pretty much everything you could ever want. Problem solved.

I guess the question is whether that integrates with the other systems, in my case I have the A/C, parking sensors, steering wheel controls hooked up to the unit.

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

JaseNZ

Quote from: McDoof on February 23, 2017, 03:24:53 PM

I know what you are saying I had one in by bmw before I bought this. Now I have the RNS510 I might as well just get the Bluetooth module then everything is integrated into the mfd

Naekyr

Quote from: slowmo on February 23, 2017, 04:10:01 PM
I guess the question is whether that integrates with the other systems, in my case I have the A/C, parking sensors, steering wheel controls hooked up to the unit.

I too have an aftermarket unit (probably built in china), It's got GPS navigation (which works), Bluetooth (which works, love playing music off my phone onto it), picks up all nz radios on fm & am, can watch dvd movies on it and has SD and USB connections. It accepts input correctly from the steering wheel controls too and also works perfectly with a reversing camera. The only thing the unit doesnt have is apple carplay but I guess neither does the RNS510 either

The Red Warrior

No VCDS not needed. Literally unplug your 9W2 module and plug in your 9W7 module.
I did this a few months back.
No need to change the wiring harness

GLIDN

can get you a 9w2 which does have BT streaming.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

GLIDN

Quote from: The Red Warrior on February 23, 2017, 06:48:47 PM
No VCDS not needed. Literally unplug your 9W2 module and plug in your 9W7 module.
I did this a few months back.
No need to change the wiring harness

careful. his car is OEM 9w2. so he will have missing wiring and most likely incorrectly wired loom for the change over from 9w2 to 9w7. so will need to redo or replace the BT loom.

your original loom you got was the 9w7 loom..

GLIDN

Quote from: jasegti on February 23, 2017, 02:25:40 PM
Thanks for that but they are all the 9W2's which don't have phone book functionality, that came into force with the 9W3's which is what I am after.

9W3 has no Bluetooth. streaming..
also very uncommon and also clunky unit.
hence people only ever talk about 9w2 or 9w7.
as a Bluetooth kit is a must for audio streaming now.

GLIDN

Quote from: Naekyr on February 23, 2017, 05:03:59 PM
I too have an aftermarket unit (probably built in china), It's got GPS navigation (which works), Bluetooth (which works, love playing music off my phone onto it), picks up all nz radios on fm & am, can watch dvd movies on it and has SD and USB connections. It accepts input correctly from the steering wheel controls too and also works perfectly with a reversing camera. The only thing the unit doesnt have is apple carplay but I guess neither does the RNS510 either

yes I can get the RNS510 with full apple car play and Android auto etc. genuine VW parts also.

Naekyr

Quote from: GLIDN on February 24, 2017, 07:24:42 AM
yes I can get the RNS510 with full apple car play and Android auto etc. genuine VW parts also.

Ok fair enough I stand corrected. Happy enough with my unit though cost $400 new

McDoof

Quote from: slowmo on February 23, 2017, 04:10:01 PM

Yes it has 2 way CANBUS integration. So it works with VW Reverese cameras, parking sensors and the later model Sonar systems. If I had a full height MFD it would also show radio etc on there. Steering wheel controls work too.
It's surprisingly good. I mostly run Spotify on it for music so even though it will stream from my phone, I just don't have to. Google maps works perfectly too and if you want you can load up tomtom or something like that.

The only 2 gripes I have are that it takes about 30 seconds to boot when I start the car (Reverse camera still works before) and the Voice control is a bit average. I think it uses the pinhole mic on the radio rather than the voice mic that I have mounted up high.

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

slowmo

Cool, thanks for the feedback mCdoof and TRW.

I'll check my version - pretty sure it is 9w3 as I have BT phone and phone book integration. But if i'm to keep the car longer I really want BT audio streaming or CarPlay as the MDI connection only charges my iphone but doesn't allow me to stream music from it.

The Red Warrior

Quote from: GLIDN on February 24, 2017, 07:21:21 AM
careful. his car is OEM 9w2. so he will have missing wiring and most likely incorrectly wired loom for the change over from 9w2 to 9w7. so will need to redo or replace the BT loom.

your original loom you got was the 9w7 loom..

Ah, okay then. Happy to be corrected by the guru that you are.  ;)

I just plugged mine in to see and it was all good. Didn't realize you fitted the 9W7 loom.
I have an extra 9W7 loom still sitting in the garage as I never needed it when I upgraded to 9W7. Still have the 9W2 module as well though I doubt there is much demand for them these days.

JaseNZ

9W7 module is on its way  :) :)