Four Wheeler Magazine, August 1982

Started by WRURQ, February 23, 2017, 07:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WRURQ

"I hope that I will soon forget the Audi Quattro. Until I do, I shall continue to worship that bitch goddess Success at the expense of friends, family, honesty and decency - anything to be in a position to have one. The Quattro is evil, an insidious witch in the guise of state-of-the-art engineering, a circe who commands your obedience every waking moment and a succubus who haunts every dream. She's the seductress who recreates That First Time all over again, who snips all your tethers to innocence and changes your life forever."  - Four Wheeler Magazine, August 1982

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

schattenblau

if i may add another quote, from the pen of the inimitable LJK Setright, CAR magazine October 1992

the complete piece can be read at
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/car-culture/ljk-setrights-favourite-cars-revealed-car-archive-october-1992/

QuoteThe car which gave us most furiously cause to think was Jensen?s 1966 prodigy, the FF. Was ever a car more eloquent in its demonstration of more things than it set out to show?  The staggering improvements offered by its sensitively modulated four-wheel-drive system in handling, in roadholding, in traction, in anti-lock braking and in overall safety, were comprehensively proved. The conventional two-wheel-drive Interceptor was by contrast a rotten car, but it looked almost identical to the FF and no less handsome, and was a lot cheaper ? so people brought the Interceptor, which should never have been put on the market at all, and we had to wait 13 agonising years before the proper virtues of 4wd were once again presented by the magnificent Audi Quattro.

What the Quattro could do was beyond any but academic argument. What it led to remains beyond any but prophetic vision, for its influence is still spreading. There have been very few truly great cars in the past 30 years, but the Quattro is one of them.

brian

It also get a bit  of  an enthusiastic mention in Setright's book 'Drive On'
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

snowtyres

This quote taken from old 2001 Autocar magazine article sums up the Audi quattro 20V very well.

" There may be faster cars in a straight line, ones that can pull more lateral g on smooth, dry tarmac. But few despatch real roads and uncertain conditions with such confidence....No, make that distain. Okay, the Audi does understeer a little too much by contemporary standards. And it's anchors are good rather than great. But has Audi built a better driver's car? We think not.

(refer?.Article  ?TOP 10 performance cars of all time? published in the Christmas 2001 issue of the UK Autocar collector?s special ?World?s fastest cars?)

Audidude

Rarity, iconic game-changer - does it get any better?
How many other production cars have accumulated such accolades?

I feel a huge responsibility to look after mine...
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior