GTI DYI DRL

Started by Naekyr, March 19, 2017, 09:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naekyr

Has anyone instaled DRL themselves, have any tips or an online guide?

The GTI just has the Xenon lamps with no DRL at the moment

Done some enquiries and can get the job done for around $300-350 but unsure about the quality of the work.

For placement I'm thiking next to the fod lamps seems like a great spot

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

That looks nice and clean,

I quite like these I found on google image search, but I'm not really an electrical guy and dont have much clue on how to wire these up

McDoof

Those look like the same as mine just in a different arrangement.
Firstly I should say that if you are not confident with simple 12V wiring, then doing a DYI DRL install is maybe not for you. However if you can handle a soldering iron and some basics then it's pretty simple.

You need 3 things.
  1. A set of LED lights. I got mine off Aliexpress. Search for LED Eagle Eye
These are the ones I got. I will probably replace the ones I have with Yellow ones because I think the "white" ones are a bit too blue for me https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-9W-LED-White-Eagle-Eye-Car-Light-High-Power-Car-Daytime-Running-Light-parking-light/32457071968.html
  2. You need a DRL controller box.
Ideally you want one that turns the DRL lights off when you turn the headlights on. The one I got only dims them. Have a hunt around. They are cheap.
I got this one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-5A-Car-LED-DRL-Relay-Daytime-Running-Light-Relay-Harness-Auto-Car-Controller-On-Off/32448381355.html
  3. Some insulating shrink wrap.
Some people would tape things, but it will fail eventually so just get some heat shrink stuff. I don't remember what thickness I used, but a basic kit like this will see you through https://www.jaycar.co.nz/assorted-heatshrink-pack-1-5-10mm/p/WH5525

Installation:
Drill out the holes where you want to install the LED lights. Screw them in. Join up the ends of the cables. All the reds together and all the blacks together. Solder them.
Attach some twinax to each end (Solder again)so you can run the cables through your engine bay. Long enough to get back to your battery. Repeat for each side Left and Right. Slide some of the shrink stuff over the soldered join and then apply heat. I have a little blowtorch, but you can get away with using a normal lighter.

Join the ends from each side together with the outputs from the DRL controller. Solder and shrink wrap again. Remember to slide the shrink wrap over the cable before you solder.

The Controller box simply attaches to the battery with the + side and any earth point on your car with the - side.
Then there is a 3rd cable to dim or switch off the DRLs. This connects to the + side of one of your park lights. You need to identify the cable first. I used google to find the right colour. Split the insulation without cutting the cable. This join I had to tape up as there is no way to get the shrink wrap over the existing cable.

Hope that helps.....

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

Thanks for the info, I'll do some more research and see what parts I can source - the wiring doesnt look too complicated

I found this control box which says it can completely turn off the DRL when the headlamp is turned on rather than just dimming like the ebay/chinese online models

https://www.hella.co.nz/en/products/relays-flashers/safety-daylight-controllers/safety-daylights%E2%84%A2-smart-controller.html

McDoof

Yea, it looks like it will do the trick. But it's almost $100. I'm just going wire up a relay on mine when I get the chance, so that it turns of the DRL when the Side lights turn on... That is, if I have any issues at WOF time, otherwise I'll just leave them as they are. My last car passed WOF with dimming DRL.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red