Front tyre recommendations? (MK5 GTi)

Started by Jaycray NZ, March 21, 2017, 01:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaycray NZ

Hi again fellas,

I'm in need of two front tyres for my GTi.

My budget would probably be around $200 per tyre.

I don't need anything super sporty, I like going fast but most of the time I'm just cruising.

I do a combination of city and highway driving, I'm keen on getting a bit of performance but also don't want too much road noise.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Worms

Bridgestone Potenza re003

I put them on my Mrs 5 series, after a set of RE002's, and put them on the Touran - really good in the wet too.

I've had 2 sets of RE002's and one set of RE003's, and rate them as a decnt performer for the money - not ultimate performance, but a decent price.

slowmo

What size? 225/45/17 or 225/40/18?

hyper.co.nz is a good source.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Jaycray NZ

Thanks for that Worms, I've actually done a bit of research on those as I've posted this and I'm really leaning towards them.

Slowmo, My size is 225/45/17. I do love hyperdrive but looking to just go to a local workshop and getting them done on the spot. Cheers mate!

robh

Give Jason a ring at Onsite Tyres https://www.facebook.com/Onsite-Tyres-Wheels-Ltd-317896581560999/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

He has been in the industry for decades and does everything from Utes to Supercars. 

Will be a great price and will come to you.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

I got 2x Eagle F1 AS2 for $250 fitted/balanced... made in Germany too.

Just can't remember where.....

le mans

I'm a big fan of the GY F1s. Try mag and tyre direct, their pricing is very sharp.

McDoof

Running RE002 on my GTI (225 40 18) and they are very good in the dry. Not so great in the wet once you get down past 50% tread.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

Quote from: McDoof on March 22, 2017, 09:38:38 AM
Running RE002 on my GTI (225 40 18) and they are very good in the dry. Not so great in the wet once you get down past 50% tread.

This is the issues I have found with and bridgestone tyre on mk2/3/4/5/6 platforms.
Last time I heard/checked you can find Michelin pilot sports 3 for around $220-250 per tyre.
Which is 100% worth it indeed.

You can try Tyretech in Glenfield. Guys name is Chris.

I have GY F1's on the skoda, I would rate them above the RE001/2, but still terrible considering for the likes of Nexen N-Blue. Which cost almost half. But is equally as good a tyre if not better.

As I removed GY F1's from my R32 and replaced with Nexen N-Blue. Was much 100% happier from performance, cabin noise, mileage and wear.
From what I have found over the years, GY F1's seem to respond much better to a larger car such as Audi A4 or above.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

monk

Quote from: GLIDN on March 22, 2017, 09:44:31 AM
As I removed GY F1's from my R32 and replaced with Nexen N-Blue. Was much 100% happier from performance, cabin noise, mileage and wear.
From what I have found over the years, GY F1's seem to respond much better to a larger car such as Audi A4 or above.

Hi GLIDN. How much and where from for the Nexen? Thanks.
Nexus n blue HD?

Jaycray NZ

Thanks for the replies everyone, have decided to go with the Potenza RE003's as it's really the best I could find locally (for the price) and it needed to be sorted this week as I'm driving down to Queenstown for the weekend. Cheers

GLIDN

Quote from: monk on March 22, 2017, 10:45:16 AM
Hi GLIDN. How much and where from for the Nexen? Thanks.
Nexus n blue HD?

Honestly, I cannot remember it's been some time. But vaguely remember something along the lines of $750 for a full set of 4 225/40/18 fitted including full 4 wheel laser alignment.
They spent a little under 2 hours adjusting everything on my car.

Jaycray NZ, if your budget can stretch? I would recommend getting the Michelin tyres. Phone around, you may get them for a mere $20-30 more per tyre than your budget.
The tyre is light years ahead thou.

Jaycray NZ

Quote from: GLIDN on March 22, 2017, 11:34:29 AM
Honestly, I cannot remember it's been some time. But vaguely remember something along the lines of $750 for a full set of 4 225/40/18 fitted including full 4 wheel laser alignment.
They spent a little under 2 hours adjusting everything on my car.

Jaycray NZ, if your budget can stretch? I would recommend getting the Michelin tyres. Phone around, you may get them for a mere $20-30 more per tyre than your budget.
The tyre is light years ahead thou.

Are you talking about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's?

GLIDN

Quote from: Jaycray NZ on March 22, 2017, 03:01:06 PM
Are you talking about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's?

no PS3's as they are a run out model
The PS4 however are a bloody good step up from the PS3. No idea how they managed that thou.

dummer

The Red Warrior

Quote from: GLIDN on March 22, 2017, 03:41:23 PM
no PS3's as they are a run out model
The PS4 however are a bloody good step up from the PS3. No idea how they managed that thou.

I've been enjoying my PS4s. They were great during this week's downpours too. I have had to increase my tyre pressures considerably over the Pirellis that I was using though, as initially they felt very soft in the sidewall.