Gear box

Started by NEL6N, March 25, 2017, 10:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEL6N

Hi guys my vr6 MANUAL has lost 1st & 2nd gears I've checked all the externals and they are ok is this now a removal and stripe down all other gears are there cheers dave

Gordo

Not familiar with that specific gearbox, however I expect it is a single rail design and 1 & 2 are in the same plane - forward and backwards - and is reverse to the left of the gears or to the right?
If so, it would seem the fork that moves the sycro' hub to engage the gears isn't doing that and there are several generic possibilities that come to mind - the pin that engages the fork to the selector shaft has come adrift and the shaft isn't moving the fork; the fork has broken (although I would expect a LOT of noise), there is a misalignment that has developed somewhere in the linkages (internal or external) that prevents the engagement mechanism moving far enough to engage the gears, but if reverse is to the left that is effectively ruled out.
Some gearboxes have an easily accessed turret, or cover, which can be removed* and the gears engaged manually (engine off, of course) and you can then try to see if the gears engage. If the rod moves but the gears don't engage, I would expect it to be the fork pin has dropped out.
It is probably a gearbox drop job, but that will depend on the access and what the problem is.
There will be chaps with a lot of experience with those 'boxes, they should be able to help much more - hope it is something simple.

*with some gearboxes the cover/turret also houses the forks, but doubt you'll be that lucky.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)