GTI disc rotors

Started by The Red Warrior, April 09, 2017, 05:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Warrior

Looking to get opinions and options for replacing my discs rotors on my GTI as they are getting rather worn and I need new pads all round soon too.
I'll just be sticking to original sizes of 312x25 and 282x12.
I've seen a couple options I like from overseas but shipping is pricey for such heavy items. I was considering these Tyrolsport ones

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-tyrolsport-parts/front-hook-slot-sport-rotors-pair-312x25/tsaud3100j~tys/

or these Vagbremtechnic ones

https://www.vagbremtechnic.com/direct-replacement-j-hooked-or-grooved-discs-click-for-options-drd-go5-6/

The advantage of the Vagbremtechnic ones are that I can get matching rears too.
Anyone have any local (NZ) options that I should look at or any specific reasons why either of the above are no good?

Worms

Do you need anything fancy?

Different ballgame, but I got a SET (all 4) for my Mrs 5 series from Micks Garage for NZ$210 SHIPPED from Ireland! They had a 25% off code, though they appear to have discounts on lots of brake discs at the moment anyway. They don't do fancy types though :-)

They were mintex discs - I've heard their pads are average, but the discs look well made and I have no braking issues so far.

Cheapest I found in NZ was about NZ$400 for "unbranded" equivalents!

RS ZWEI

Have you tried BNT? They stock Brembo.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

robh

Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

The Red Warrior

Cheers for that. No, I don't NEED something fancy, but I'm doing this in conjunction with fitting the Porsche NQSBBK so feel I may as well spend a bit extra. I'm tempted also by ECS Tuning's own brand of 2 piece rotors but that's a lot more money.

The Red Warrior

Quote from: RS ZWEI on April 09, 2017, 08:25:25 PM
Have you tried BNT? They stock Brembo.

No, and I may know someone who works there. I'll have a look. Ta

The Red Warrior

Quote from: robh on April 09, 2017, 08:27:25 PM
http://www.znoelli.co.nz/

Have seen them (him?) mentioned in some old threads on here from about ten years ago. Quite local to me too so will also have a look.

schattenblau

Quote from: Worms on April 09, 2017, 08:06:14 PM

They were mintex discs - I've heard their pads are average, but the discs look well made and I have no braking issues so far.

mintex race pads are great !

ditto nik's advice to check bnt or repco, pattern rotors aren't expensive.

The Red Warrior

And the calipers arrived today:

The Red Warrior

Adaptor brackets and lines arrived on Tuesday.
I got the discs from BNT. Thanks RS ZWEI for that heads up. I didn't know someone who works there after all, but $364 for brembo rotors all round I thought was pretty good. I'm going to slot them myself at work.
The same can't be said for the pads. Ferodo DS2500 all four corners came to $581 including shipping from U.K.  Ouch!
Hopefully get it all on the car this weekend.

McDoof

Quote from: The Red Warrior on April 19, 2017, 03:14:27 PM
Ferodo DS2500 all four corners
I hope you have a good wheel cleaner. You're gonna need it.
I'm just jealous
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

Quote from: The Red Warrior on April 19, 2017, 03:14:27 PM
Adaptor brackets and lines arrived on Tuesday.
I got the discs from BNT. Thanks RS ZWEI for that heads up. I didn't know someone who works there after all, but $364 for brembo rotors all round I thought was pretty good. I'm going to slot them myself at work.
The same can't be said for the pads. Ferodo DS2500 all four corners came to $581 including shipping from U.K.  Ouch!
Hopefully get it all on the car this weekend.

Why not go to NQSBBK (not quite so big brake kit) brackets on OEM 312mm discs?
It would have been a huge step up indeed. Or did you go for bigger discs like Brembo 334mm or R32 342mm disc setup?
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

The Red Warrior

Quote from: GLIDN on April 20, 2017, 11:11:51 AM
Why not go to NQSBBK (not quite so big brake kit) brackets on OEM 312mm discs?
It would have been a huge step up indeed. Or did you go for bigger discs like Brembo 334mm or R32 342mm disc setup?

NQSBBK is exactly what I've gone for. With the adaptor brackets and lines from Vagbremtechnic (i.e. the NQSBBK instigator). But then, I know will have known that DaveB started that thread  ;)

GLIDN

Quote from: The Red Warrior on April 20, 2017, 12:58:34 PM
NQSBBK is exactly what I've gone for. With the adaptor brackets and lines from Vagbremtechnic (i.e. the NQSBBK instigator). But then, I know will have known that DaveB started that thread  ;)

Known DaveB and known of him for many years.
It's great to see you got Vagbremtechnic adaptors. Personally it's the only ones I would trust.
Can't wait to see what your thoughts on this setup will be.

The Red Warrior

Fitted my NQSBBK kit over the weekend along with the new rotors and pads front and rear.
Slotted the rotors on the milling machine.

The calipers came from the U.K and I'm glad we don't salt the roads here. As can be seen the pads retaining pins and pad springs were heavily corroded. The pins wouldn't even move until I'd sprayed them with lots of penetrating spray and even then I had to sand around them to allow them to slide out. I used the media blaster in the pins and springs though and they came up well. Complete disassembly of the calipers showed that beneath all the crap the seals dust covers and pistons were all in good condition.

I milled  a mm off each of the pad posts on the mill for clearance for the GTI rotors which are thicker than the Boxster rotors. Sorry about the blurry pic.

And installed on the car.

So, the good:
Improved initial bite.
Improved breaking power.
Pedal feel actually slightly better than stock.
They look good.

However, the bad:
Despite slotting the rotors myself and installing it all myself it still wasn't a cheap exercise. I did need new pads all round and my rotors were noticeably worn so I was going to have to shell out a bit anyway.
Noise: slight rubbing noise which I assume is from the slots. Didn't actually notice it today so maybe it was just as the pads were bedding in. Also sometimes get a small squeak when coming to a stop. Only about the last couple meters from about 5kph to stopped and only sometimes. It's not loud at all and is only occasional. If it gets worse I'll probably put in Porsche anti rattle shims.
The wheels didn't fit initially despite others saying they had had about a mm clearance. I turned up 3mm spacers  from my old rear rotors.
The worst problem though is that it appears that I need to get these certed. I checked the LVVC website last year and it stated if I kept the original rotor size it didn't need a cert. it looks like the law changed in October though and now if calipers aren't OEM then you need a cert. I wouldn't mind so much except that I just forked out for a cert for my adjustable suspension only last month. Grrr!

Overall I'm still pleased to have done it as I've wanted them since first reading about them.

GLIDN

did you notch the caliper as instructed in all the NQSBBK guides?

otherwise the disc touches the caliper.

The Red Warrior

Quote from: GLIDN on April 26, 2017, 12:01:17 PM
did you notch the caliper as instructed in all the NQSBBK guides?

otherwise the disc touches the caliper.

Notch as in take approximately a mm off the pegs? Due to the differences in thicknesses of the rotors?
If so, then yes. That's what I did in the photo with the caliper bolted to the milling table.

McDoof

I find performance pads tend to squeak a bit at low speeds.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

robh

Quote from: McDoof on April 26, 2017, 03:33:39 PM
I find performance pads tend to squeak a bit at low speeds.

What he said.

DS2500 will squeak more than a standard road pad.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"