Hydrogen Carbon Clean?

Started by McDoof, April 13, 2017, 01:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

DTM

I don't know about this particular method but but in S.A a company called Carbon Doctor have been doing carbon cleaning for a number of years with great results. My DTM had a carbon clean from them the valves were caked up after clean they looked bran new. DTM also ran smoother and felt stronger was money well spent for around $250 if I convert.

This is who I used. www.carbondoctor.co.za
Different process.

schattenblau

colour me skeptical on using hydrogen to blast away carbon buildup

;D

carbondoctor on the other hand uses a proven media cleaning methodology.

Gordo

Agreed, only way I could see it working is if the hydrogen burned and the water/steam cleaned the components - I know water injection is supposed to help keep the engine internals clean.
That said, as petroleum fuels are primarily made up of carbon-hydrogen molecules that burn to form carbon dioxide and water vapour, I'm not sure about the difference?

However, if it works, it works, so who cares how it does so?
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

McDoof

I tried to have a look into the walnut shell blasting method a while ago but it seems there are no options in NZ. Only BMWorkshop do it and only for BMW cars it seems.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

DTM

Pity that BMW are the only ones with the walnut solution. The TFSI motors are the worst in carbon buildup vs other manufacturer motors.

Gordo

Any of you looked at the Seafoam stuff, seems to be quite popular in Yankland?

Fizz

Quote from: Gordo on April 15, 2017, 07:17:00 PM
Any of you looked at the Seafoam stuff, seems to be quite popular in Yankland?
I've used seafoam regularly in my mk4 and then mk5. you do notice a slight improvement but its short lived. best thing to do is have it cleaned properly, and fit a water meth kit (so say the yanks) or catch can.

GLIDN

Quote from: McDoof on April 15, 2017, 09:43:04 AM
I tried to have a look into the walnut shell blasting method a while ago but it seems there are no options in NZ. Only BMWorkshop do it and only for BMW cars it seems.

been looking into the validity of acquiring the walnut blasting tools and offering this as a service. But so far costs are still prohibiting the tool purchase.
Due to not being crazy busy with carbon cleaning yet.

This is why we are still perform manual carbon cleaning on all the cars we do.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

McDoof

The BMW one is not too bad.
Probably engine specific fitting on that
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/carbon-blaster-tool/81292208034

Or this one for around US$500 if you got VAG Specific, otherwise a few more $$$ to cover other engine models.
http://thegermantooltruck.com/product/gt-nblaster/

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

AudiA3

McDoof

Nope. Still looking into it
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

McDoof

The more I look into this, the less likely it becomes I would even try it. The people advertising it and those posting on forums in favour of it talk about stuff coming out of the exhaust. I'd go as far as to say, those posting on forums saying they have seen huge improvement in mileage, noise and performance, are fake/planted reviews.  :-[ All I know is I have a turbo and some catalytic converters between my engine and the tail pipe. I'd hate to see what those would look like after meeting up with all of my intake carbon. I bet my turbo would love some carbon for breakfast.
Anyway. I've ordered a $8 endoscope to have a look down intake to see how bad it looks. If it looks like my old GDi Legnum did, it's time for a manual clean
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

dummer

I gave it a go last week because I lost my triple square 10 and I'm over taking the header off to clean(it's the amount of tissue I need to use make me feel bad).
It did feel the car pull stronger/crisper off the line but the turbo noise became more noticeable than before. They said it will improve mileage but I haven't driven enough to tell.
Impression is it may be like sea foam which is only a short term thing. But time will tell.

McDoof

Got a cheap endoscope and had a peek into my intake. Looks like I'll be giving it a clean soon. It looks pretty dirty in there.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

dummer

how are you going to clean it?

McDoof

Manually. Remove the intake then scrub and pick it clean.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Gordo

jpmeikle

We have just  started using hydrogen/oxygen for  carbon cleaning in Wellington.
The machine is from taiwan and beautifully built.
We can be found in contacts under  www.carbonclean.co.nz/contact-us/
The process works very well as hydrogen and oxygen atoms are smaller than carbon
therefore, gently clean away the areas affected by carbon.
There are some engines prone to heavy contamination  therefore, we recommend
a 2 step process. 1. chemically injecting an atomised spray  and 2. finishing with the
gas (hydrogen/oxygen). Results have been great to date and we have done a good
range of audi/vw product.   walnut blasting is effective however,it is only treating the intake.
Our process completely cleans the intake manifold. valves,pistons,injector face and combustion
chamber,turbo which are  cleaned  gently to restore what has been  incrementally lost.
We therefore restore and gain back power and fuel efficiency !.

Gordo

If it works, it works and I wish you well - but pseudo-science, and incorrect "science" at that as a carbon atom is smaller than an oxygen atom*, doesn't instill confidence.

*http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XC6ZApteL04/T0PQJILFnaI/AAAAAAAAFoA/KJT83aXTDaw/s1600/periodic+table.png