Fixing a scratch/keying

Started by VW'n, April 15, 2017, 05:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VW'n

So looks like someone keyed the passat.

What are our options to repair this?
Finger nail catches in the scratch.

06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

heylinb4nz

Quote from: VW'n on April 15, 2017, 05:28:32 PM
So looks like someone keyed the passat.

What are our options to repair this?
Finger nail catches in the scratch.

#1 : get is assessed by insurance company or panel shop first, as soon as you start any self fixing you void your insurance claim if that's what is needed. Also gives you options on how to proceed.

#2 If fingernail is catching its possibly beyond what compound and high speed can remove. You can most certainly lighten it, that would be my first port of call. Using some Meguiars Ultimate compound from SuperCheap and a fair bit of focused polishing, do a small bit first and decide if its acceptable.

#3 Second port of call (if its just the clear coat) you may be able to mask 1mm either side of the scratch, and after cleaning light sand with 800 grit wet n dry to key the surface, layer up some clear acrylic lacquer so its above the surface height, let it full harden over 3 days and then repeat the above compounding process to make it flush.

#4 If none of that works or you aren't happy with result then it may be a $250 excess and a panel respray...depends how pristine you keep your car....personally nothing less than showroom finish for me or it bugs me.

schattenblau

if your fingernail catches then it will most likely be a respray job

:'(

VW'n

Thanks that's all great advice.

I got stuck into it with the high speed and some and the mothers scratch compound then followed it up with there 3 step system.
Very happy with the results.

Not quite show room but it is the family wagon already covered in kids hand prints....

An alarm thst electrifys the car should solve this sort of damage hmmm. ..
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)

VW'n

86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)