Best Mk1 mechanic in Auckland

Started by VAG-GAV, April 26, 2017, 12:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAG-GAV

Hey guys,

Is there anyone in Auckland who you would consider a Mk1 Golf expert or at least a fan of them to work on?

I had mine in at Brodie and didn't come away with a very good experience - its seemed a pain in their ass to muck around with anything other than modern Euros.

Holder on Hobson I'm a fan of because hes a genuine nice dude and doesn't feel like he'll rip me off, but he's not necessarily and expert on anything VAG.

In particular my MK1 has a very heavy clutch, I test drove the Mk1 rivage on Trade Me a while back and comparatively the clutch is light as a feather(I dont think the rivages have a hydraulic clutch). The paper work with my car said the clutch kit was replaced about 3 years ago so with no more than 2k put on the clock since so I'm looking for a mechanic that knows how it should perform and what their looking at underneath.

Recommendations gladly received. Thanks!

Fizz

John at West Worx, Platinum VW, Qualitat, all have experience with older Dubs.
I'm sure there's a few others on here tinker in their spare time and are pretty knowledgeable on the old stuff.

VW'n

Not that I've had any dealings with him but my pick would be.
John at West Worx.
His attention to detail on all the vask cars he's worked on seems impressive and you would be dealing directly with the person doing the work on your car which I consider very important.
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

vdubdave

Heavy clutch
That means the cable is more than 3 years old.

Replace it and your couch will get light and smooth......
82 GTi Cabriolet EG engine
82 GTi Pretender PG engine
03 Supercharged V6 24v 4 Motion

VAG-GAV

Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts!

Will tap up John for a looksie.

VAG-GAV

Ps at vdubdave - I had Holder look at the clutch cable - disconnected it and pulled it through by hand and he said there was no resistance at all...

I got a sachs clutch kit posted over from the UK before looking back through the purchasing paperwork to see that the clutch kit had been replaced with very few KMs since, so it seems a waste to do the clutch again unless an uprated racing clutch was fitted...

Looking at the paperwork again it seems platinum were the mechanics for the previous owner so perhaps a trip back to them will reveal more...