Caddy2K conversion (mk5 golf based)

Started by uzumati, April 30, 2017, 09:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uzumati

Managed to pick up a Caddy2K which i hope to use as personal transport/daily driver. Small problem is that it has no engine/gearbox. It did have a diesel bls engine, which died. Ive been looking at converting it with a 1.8l ADM engine but it seems that as the caddy is based on Mk5 golf and is 2009 that the looms wont be compatible.
Is the only way to get something worthwhile (other than putting another bls engine in it - which are rare) to get a donor car and then get a custom loom made for it by someone like
http://www.dutchbuild.com/index.php/en/shop/db-customs/custom-engine-wiring/custom-engine-wiring-r36-fsi-detail ?
If so then a r32 engine would be the ultimate, if its going to cost I might as well go the whole way.
I know this would be a handful as it will be extremely difficult to fabricate 4wd into the caddy, but i think if I fitted an lsd then fwd would make it acceptable.
It would only have to be able to handle it in a straight line as it wont be taken on a circuit...
Has anyone done this before ? Any assistance is appreciated.
I have done a lot of research but it doesnt seem to be that popular - golf owners will just upgrade to a new r32 than upgrade the engine.

Worms

I'm stalking you ;-)

The BLS engine is rare for a reason - they go BANG surprisingly often  >:D

The wiring is a pain to sort out, but pretty easy to do if you're that way inclined. I've done engine conversions before (Subaru 1.8 SPFI into a beetle based car, and a Subaru DOHC 2.5 into an 83 Transporter, plus a 2.0 manual conversion on a 1.8 auto Impreza)

If you just going front wheel drive, it's a little simpler, but there's not really that many wires to connect - you just have to trawl through the diagram to find where they merge.

You won't be able to get a "plug in" loom, unless your caddy already has the "e-box high", which is very unlikely. Plus it'll be expensive, and I don't know if they'd get it right first time. I used the Touran e-box (low), and re purposed several of the fuses and relays. A added the 2 fuel pump relays inside the car, in some spare factory locations.

Doing actual wiring probably only took 30 hours (at a guess), but the planning took hundreds! :-)

Bolting the engine in mechanically is simple - it just fits! Even the heater hoses etc are all in the same place.

Bear in mind too - there are certain mixes you can't make, unless someone tunes the ECU to cope. The R32 engine ECU needs to match the trans you have. I had to get a manual ecu to clear all the codes in the end - the engine ECU looks for the trans ecu, and can't find it, so the trans and ABS BOTH throw codes. Even after deleting the code in the engine ECU, the trans still looked for it. Fitting a manual trans ECU sorted it.

You have to have matching immobiliser types - MY2006 R32;s still used Immo 4A, the later 4C is much more complicated. I have the R32 cluster in the Touran case, and have matched a 2006 R32 manual ECU to it.

You also have to work out which ABS and engine ECU work.

Someone might know what matches, somewhere, but it's sometimes trial and error.

If you can get a donor car, with all matching parts and install them, you're probably OK. As soon as you delete the 4WD from the mix, something may not work.

If you found a GTI with rear damage etc, you can go the GTI route... and the GTI can easily be made faster than the R32 - I think standard there's not much in it, and the GTI is VERY tunable (Booooooost!), the R32, not so much.

uzumati

Got a price from some parts merchant in auckland for a BLS motor from  Sydney - $3.5K + gst. Bargain.

I think you've converted me down the VR6/R32 route...guna have to do the exhaust too, there is a black audi a3 that lives round the corner that is motivating me at the mo. It sounds good but i think that is the "other" audi v6 motor so a VR6/R32 will sound way better :)

Just need to put the pieces in place...

Any chance of a picture of the R32 cluster in the touran case please ? hopefully I can do the same ...
Mind you, you mentioned in your caddy2k post that the clocks are 2006 R32. Could i not use the clocks from the donor A3 that is providing the engine or do I need to find an R32 ? I did see that someone had fitted audi clocks to their mk3 caddy on caddy2k...

sounds like I need to find an 02M gearbox (the 02J sounds like junk) to solve the ecu and the fwd conversion at the same time :)

robh

A3 is based on same platform as Golf therefore A3 3.2 is an R32 style engine not inline audi V6
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

RS ZWEI

Quote from: uzumati on May 03, 2017, 10:51:15 PM
Got a price from some parts merchant in auckland for a BLS motor from  Sydney - $3.5K + gst. Bargain.

I think you've converted me down the VR6/R32 route...guna have to do the exhaust too, there is a black audi a3 that lives round the corner that is motivating me at the mo. It sounds good but i think that is the "other" audi v6 motor so a VR6/R32 will sound way better :)

Just need to put the pieces in place...

Any chance of a picture of the R32 cluster in the touran case please ? hopefully I can do the same ...
Mind you, you mentioned in your caddy2k post that the clocks are 2006 R32. Could i not use the clocks from the donor A3 that is providing the engine or do I need to find an R32 ? I did see that someone had fitted audi clocks to their mk3 caddy on caddy2k...

sounds like I need to find an 02M gearbox (the 02J sounds like junk) to solve the ecu and the fwd conversion at the same time :)

You are best to purchase a written of R32/A3 3.2 so you get all the wiring/parts etc.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Filx

Quote from: RS ZWEI on May 04, 2017, 10:13:55 AM
You are best to purchase a written of R32/A3 3.2 so you get all the wiring/parts etc.

^ This x1000000000000000000000000000000
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Worms

and keeping it all VW is WAY easier too!

I'll find a cluster pic.

Worms

Edit: Didn't I try to talk you into GTI-ing it? Not sure it's MY fault you chose R32 power  :police:  ;D

R32 Cluster "trimmed" (with a stanley knife!) to fit:

Video of R32 Cluster inside Touran case, NOT full throttle, it was the first time I'd actually accelerated in 2nd gear, after breaking an axle I hadn't quite assembly right  ::) and I wanted high revs to check for cam correltion codes:

https://youtu.be/r_Fj7KQqUZs

Worms

BLS engine in NZ:

www.manheim.co.nz/damaged-vehicles/5034790/2006-volkswagen-caddy-delivery-van

Comes with slightly damaged Caddy attached :-)

BLS engines are known to pop though ;-)

uzumati

Thanks for all the detail, especially on the caddy2k site.

have pm'd you, hopefully ideas are taking shape, its been way too busy at my end with work etc

one thing i missed is - whats the advantage of the highline clocks ? i have done some reading on it but cant really understand why they are so popular..

Thanks
GT

uzumati

Finally an update, plans have changed. Many Thanks to Alan (Worms) for his advice and my mates for their assistance..I am learning alot

I love the sound of an R32 but I came across something special and was tired of waiting...

Things have been busy so thought i'd have some fun and write a story

I have been graced by the presence of Mrs ED30.
She was a bit sad

But came bearing gifts - two of these

and even (best of all) this

I undressed her a little, gave her new critical parts, filled her will new oil and (most importantly) reprogrammed her

And she responded in kind - the engine & transmission worked when we briefly fired her up a couple of weekends ago !

What a relief !!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I have even found that she is immo 4A....

She keeps on surprising... :-*  :angel:

Meantime, Mr is getting impatient

He is sad because he is missing a few parts (engine & transmission)

Hopefully Mr & Mrs will spawn something like this

The honeymoon is kind of over, the hardwork begins...

Caddy2k ED30 in the making

Worms

8)

>:D

:police:

Hehe! It'll be awesome when it's done. Don't get discouraged.

the ONLY thing I did to my converson this week: Made 2 brackets to stop the passenger seat sliding too far forward, because my battery is mounted under it now :-)

Keep it up!

slowmo

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

McDoof

Nice work. Out of tragedy (Crashed ED30) a new life is formed.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

spooln

Nice project. There were people racing these in the UK.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

GottaMkII

What a cool daily it will be when you finish it!

I've got ano R32/6spd going into a mk4 wagon this summer! Plenty to do to it to get it ready for the heart, still need to do some more research like you had spoken about, with making a 4wd car box into fwd, but time is not on my side with my own business and a young family!

Love to see how your build goes!!
Volkswagen Jetta CL
Audi A4 Avant Wagon
Volkswagen mk3 Cabrio
Kombi truck... in my dreams :-)