2006 S6 5.2 V10. Battery draining over a couple of hours.

Started by Staudi, September 13, 2016, 11:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staudi

I have recently purchased a 2006 S6 5.2 V10 Audi in mint condition. The vehicle was imported from the UK and has travelled 110000 km having had two previous NZ owners. The problem I have is that there seems to be a radical draw on the battery for no apparent reason. The car is not my daily driver as I have an A4 2.0 for that task. It is garaged and only comes out in the fine weather. In the month that I have owned it I have had to charge it twice. The first time was after it had been in the garage for a week and the second time I had used it for the day, putting some good km's on it, parked it for two hours, went to start it and the battery was flat. I have purchased a digital battery charger and now leave this permanently connected to the car. Anybody know what the problem is?? I am highly pissed as I paid good money for this car and now have to rectify this common Audi fault. Am starting to wonder about the Audi brand as my son has just bought his first Audi and looks like having to pay in excess of $2500 to have a steering column replaced. Maybe they aren't all they say they are. Try and get something for nothing out of them . . . . . . . >:(
2001 B6 A4. My trusty driver
2006 S6 5.2 Ltr V10. My baby. Kept in the dry. Used on fine days and holidays only.
2005 A6 3.2L V6 NZ new. My new driver.

Worms

The Red Warrior

Places such as Repco will test your battery for free too. While it's still in the car.

Staudi

The previous owner said the battery died 6 months ago so he replaced it with a Varta battery (factory issue) and had it coded by the local Audi dealer. When it is on digital charge, which will show if the battery is losing charge, it remains and holds at 100%. This week I have to put my A4 in for a service and use the S6. It was fine for 4 days, put km's on it no problem. Went to start it this arvo it would crank very slowly but wouldn't start. Checked the battery meter, it showed 70%. We jumped it at the posts from my sons Audi, it started and I headed home. The power in the battery started to increase only after I gave it the curry. I'm wondering whether the problem is the regulator or the alternator. Any ideas. ps. My son has just has the steering wheel module replaced in his A6 at a cost of NZD$3500. It is in mint condition and only travelled 102,000km. When mentioning this problem is common and should of been a recall, Audi NZ didn't want to know. The reply was "it is an old car". At the moment I am really pissed with Audi.
2006 S6 5.2 Ltr V10. My baby. Kept in the dry. Used on fine days and holidays only.

UKNZ

did u get it tested?
I imagine it was just a fried battery.
S4 V8 manual cabrio
S8 V10
Volvo V70 T6

McDoof

I have found that if you have a calcium type battery that it will show that the battery is fine on a test.(I had mine tested)
However, if the battery has been completely flat in the past it needs to go onto an commercial desulphation cycle otherwise it just won't take a full charge. I think the AA will do it for $20 if you are a member and give you a loan battery while it's being done. I have yet to have mine done and at the moment it will hold charge for most of a day but it will discharge in a few hours if I don't drive.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

AudiA3

Did you manage to sort out your problem in the end?

Staudi

All sorted the Varta was fried. Have replaced it with a Bosch which has a higher ccr and all is good, Because the car does not get used frequently I purchased a 5 amp C-Tek digital battery charger which can be left on the car over extended periods of non use. This keeps the battery at peak performance and the battery cells do not deteriorate.

Audidude

I've had battery problems with my 4 infrequently used cars and ALL related to letting them discharge fully inadvertantly. They now have a permanent trickle charger attached which cuts out when it senses the battery is full. Problem solved.

Comes with alligator clips or rings that can be permanently attached to the terminals and a quick connect connector between the leads and the charger - I have 3 cars with them permanently wired and can move the two chargers easily between them if necessary. They are inexpensive and highly effective.
I think I got them from Repco

http://www.batterydoctor.com.au/store/chargers/sealed-lead-acid-sla-chargers/12v-junior-battery-fighter-3-stage-750mah.html

NZ supplier:
http://www.simpower.co.nz/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/15/products_id/187

'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior