Author Topic: fix options for low compression MKV 1.4 TSI Twincharged  (Read 178 times)

Offline Lemieux_66

fix options for low compression MKV 1.4 TSI Twincharged
« on: May 16, 2017, 12:50:48 pm »
Hi all,

I live out in Muriwai Beach, so had hometune come out after developing a misfire on the motorway on the weekend. (Tried new coil/plug myself)
My MKV 1.4 twincharged TSI has been diagnosed with low compression in Cylinder 3. The guy thinks its a broken piston as they're pretty common apparently.

Is there anyone out there that you guys recommend I have a chat to, or what would be my options?
Any idea what cost i'd be looking at for a replacement engine or keeping current block etc and getting someone to install new pistons etc?

Or would best bet to be to part it out?   In a bit of a pickle as we're going down to one income in a few months with a baby on the way!

Cheers,

Offline Naekyr

Re: fix options for low compression MKV 1.4 TSI Twincharged
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:45:19 pm »
Other forums with same issues

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?24408-Need-Advice-for-my-friend-s-Golf-GT-1.4-TSI-with-CEL.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f15/mkv-1-4-gt-low-compression-cylinder-2-a-116269.html

Overall suggesting is to get more tests as it could be the exhaust valves, cylinder seals, timing chain, either is cheaper than a cracked piston, although it would appear cracked pistons are common on that engine
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:19:32 pm by Naekyr »

Offline 80 Vert

• only milk and juice comes in 2 litres
  • ####
  • All thats left to do is everything!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 07:52:30 pm »
More than likely timing chain problem causing valve and or piston damage.
2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2010 T5 Transporter TDI
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, in pieces

https://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Worx/460154187360186

Offline GLIDN

• ##
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:04:45 am »
More than likely timing chain problem causing valve and or piston damage.

I concur - this is the most likely issue.

This would be the next check - Done b doing a leak down test.
Usually also caused by 91 octane fuel allowing these engines to ping their heads off. Eventually ending up in damaged landing rings on the pistons.
Top Secret Project
MK3 GTI 16v Tornado Red - under the knife soon
Mk3 12v VR6 Variant
MK4 R32 | NZ New | 3dr | Tuned by HSP Tuning | For sale
MK5 GTI DSG - Unitronic Stage 2HPFP | Stage 1 DSG | Unitronic Intake |Powervalve 3" Exhaust | Tuned by HSP Tuning | Non-OEM Stereo
Audi S4 2.7TT

Offline Lemieux_66

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 01:20:00 pm »
Cheers guys.

it's done 170k now and 140k when I got it about a year ago.   I've used 95/98 (apparently it was tuned to use 95) but no idea what it's had used before.

It did "ping or knock every now and then under load but nothing that had me worried.  I'll check out a leak down test, maybe someone in my area would be able to sort that out.

Offline Lemieux_66

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 01:02:37 pm »
Had another guy who is a VW/Audi mechanic out for the leak test and also poke a endoscope down the cylinder, showed me insides and said there is no damage to the top of the piston from valves or marks/scratches on the cylinder walls and that oil is leaking past the piston rings causing the compression loss. 

He said 4 new pistons should sort it out and has given my number to someone that can do the work.  Hopefully hear from that guy soon or i'll need to ring around.    As the car's done so many KM's he said its best to change all 4 pistons instead of just the one, I assume that's correct as I wouldn't want to go through this again if I just get one changed. 

EDIT:   so that person cant get aahold of his contact, do you guys have any recommendations of engine reconditioners or places that could do a damaged piston replacement in Auckland?   I've got a quote from Taylor Automotive, and waiting on Qualitat to get back to me.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:00:46 pm by Lemieux_66 »