fix options for low compression MKV 1.4 TSI Twincharged

Started by Lemieux_66, May 16, 2017, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemieux_66

Hi all,

I live out in Muriwai Beach, so had hometune come out after developing a misfire on the motorway on the weekend. (Tried new coil/plug myself)
My MKV 1.4 twincharged TSI has been diagnosed with low compression in Cylinder 3. The guy thinks its a broken piston as they're pretty common apparently.

Is there anyone out there that you guys recommend I have a chat to, or what would be my options?
Any idea what cost i'd be looking at for a replacement engine or keeping current block etc and getting someone to install new pistons etc?

Cheers,

Naekyr

Other forums with same issues

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?24408-Need-Advice-for-my-friend-s-Golf-GT-1.4-TSI-with-CEL.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f15/mkv-1-4-gt-low-compression-cylinder-2-a-116269.html

Overall suggesting is to get more tests as it could be the exhaust valves, cylinder seals, timing chain, either is cheaper than a cracked piston, although it would appear cracked pistons are common on that engine

80 Vert

More than likely timing chain problem causing valve and or piston damage.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

GLIDN

Quote from: 80 Vert on May 16, 2017, 07:52:30 PM
More than likely timing chain problem causing valve and or piston damage.

I concur - this is the most likely issue.

This would be the next check - Done b doing a leak down test.
Usually also caused by 91 octane fuel allowing these engines to ping their heads off. Eventually ending up in damaged landing rings on the pistons.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Lemieux_66

Cheers guys.

it's done 170k now and 140k when I got it about a year ago.   I've used 95/98 (apparently it was tuned to use 95) but no idea what it's had used before.

It did "ping or knock every now and then under load but nothing that had me worried.  I'll check out a leak down test, maybe someone in my area would be able to sort that out.

Lemieux_66

Had another guy who is a VW/Audi mechanic out for the leak test and also poke a endoscope down the cylinder, showed me insides and said there is no damage to the top of the piston from valves or marks/scratches on the cylinder walls and that oil is leaking past the piston rings causing the compression loss. 

He said 4 new pistons should sort it out and has given my number to someone that can do the work.  Hopefully hear from that guy soon or i'll need to ring around.    As the car's done so many KM's he said its best to change all 4 pistons instead of just the one, I assume that's correct as I wouldn't want to go through this again if I just get one changed. 

Lemieux_66

UPDATE : Car's getting worked on now, and just got sent these beaut pics.    No damage to the cylinder walls or valves/head apparently. new parts should be going in this weekend.

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Filx

Wow, massive chunk of piston gone and no damage to cylinder walls, valves or the head!!! That's amazing luck!
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Lemieux_66

Quote from: Filx on June 08, 2017, 01:36:14 PM
Wow, massive chunk of piston gone and no damage to cylinder walls, valves or the head!!! That's amazing luck!

I guess we find out when it all goes back together, but he sounded pretty confident.   I find it a bit weird that the other person that used the camera down the cylinder couldn't see that piece missing. maybe he was too focused on the walls and only looked at one side of the piston.

Worms

Quote from: Lemieux_66 on May 22, 2017, 01:02:37 PM
As the car's done so many KM's he said its best to change all 4 pistons instead of just the one

HAHA! "so many KM's".

Makes it sound like it's done enough to warrant this type of failure... It's a shame that VW has ended up making so many crappy engines "recently". It's sure not like the old days!

I've had a number of cars with 275, 325, 420Kms etc, that never had the engine apart, not used oil, ran quietly etc.

You must be stoked it's not a complete failure though! It's really surprising that chunk didn't jump around in the cylinder, or detroy the turbo etc on it's way out!

Good work!

McDoof

Are cars really only built to go for 200k now? It seems like it. Anything with a turbo attached to it in any case.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

Lol from what I can tell if your modern turbo car gets to 200k then you're lucky, love my gti but I don't trust it at all, will be selling prior to 100k km

GLIDN

We did call it I guess. But at least it's getting resurrected. Which is awesome to see indeed.

Quote from: Naekyr on June 08, 2017, 05:05:12 PM
Lol from what I can tell if your modern turbo car gets to 200k then you're lucky, love my gti but I don't trust it at all, will be selling prior to 100k km

If a car is stock or at the very least tuned well?
Cars can run for high mileage.

Mk4 GTI was sold @ 298,000kms still on clutch installed @ 90,000kms by previous owner. Tuned and running 20psi boost. Had the car for 7 years.
MK5 GTI close to 200,000kms, still on original engine, gearbox, clutch packs and turbo. Running peak 22psi boost. 5 years later, nothing but serviceable parts only.

So that might ring true for a crapanese car. Thankfully these GTI's are fairly reliable.

The biggest issue with the TSI engine of above? IS ran too lean from factory. Then get told by idiots at car yard you can run 95 or even 91 octane. When they ping even with 98 on factory tune. The timing chain tensioner issue due to low oil pressure, indeed did not help the cause either.

McDoof

A mate of mine has a 1.4TSI and just had to have the timing chain replaced. Apparently it was stretched and so the timing was out more than the VVT could compensate for. So another timing chain issue.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RS ZWEI

Quote from: GLIDN on June 08, 2017, 06:37:15 PM
We did call it I guess. But at least it's getting resurrected. Which is awesome to see indeed.

If a car is stock or at the very least tuned well?
Cars can run for high mileage.

Mk4 GTI was sold @ 298,000kms still on clutch installed @ 90,000kms by previous owner. Tuned and running 20psi boost. Had the car for 7 years.
MK5 GTI close to 200,000kms, still on original engine, gearbox, clutch packs and turbo. Running peak 22psi boost. 5 years later, nothing but serviceable parts only.

So that might ring true for a crapanese car. Thankfully these GTI's are fairly reliable.

The biggest issue with the TSI engine of above? IS ran too lean from factory. Then get told by idiots at car yard you can run 95 or even 91 octane. When they ping even with 98 on factory tune. The timing chain tensioner issue due to low oil pressure, indeed did not help the cause either.

The car should run on 95.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Worms

Quote from: McDoof on June 09, 2017, 08:55:25 AM
A mate of mine has a 1.4TSI and just had to have the timing chain replaced. Apparently it was stretched and so the timing was out more than the VVT could compensate for. So another timing chain issue.

Very common :-(

On lots of cars too. I'd rather have a belt - at least it's cheap and easy to replace at the right time. There are plenty of new engines that have chain issues, and sometimes at very low mileages.

I did my R32 chains as a precaution, but they were fine. Seemed silly not to while the engine was out anyway - parts are cheap, but the labour isn't if you pay to have it done!!!

GLIDN

Quote from: RS ZWEI on June 09, 2017, 10:42:55 AM
The car should run on 95.

Would need to check my mk5 brochures I have in lockup.
However were rated @98 same as mk5 gti.

Lemieux_66

So i'm in the market for a new car. ...

New pistons were all in and when we was doing the timing, he found 2 valves weren't seated properly, turns out they were bent, so he replaced those and went about his business before retiring for the night..All that was left was to put all the hoses back on and do an oil change and a final check...... and his ******* garage caught fire. 

Fingers crossed Insurance plays nice, they've had the car at the assessor for a few days now. I'm pretty stressed out as i was expecting a phone call saying come and pickup your car, but it was "umm I don't know how to tell you this, but we had a fire at out house last night".
My car completely gutted one side of his car is all warped etc. Everything coated in soot and he's probably gonna need a new garage!

Mrs is saying no more Euro cars, but who know's what's next!

Naekyr