Author Topic: fix options for low compression MKV 1.4 TSI Twincharged  (Read 407 times)

Offline RS ZWEI

• Administrator
  • ####
    • http://www.vask.org.nz
Re: fix options for low compression MKV 1.4 TSI Twincharged
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 10:42:55 am »
We did call it I guess. But at least it's getting resurrected. Which is awesome to see indeed.

If a car is stock or at the very least tuned well?
Cars can run for high mileage.

Mk4 GTI was sold @ 298,000kms still on clutch installed @ 90,000kms by previous owner. Tuned and running 20psi boost. Had the car for 7 years.
MK5 GTI close to 200,000kms, still on original engine, gearbox, clutch packs and turbo. Running peak 22psi boost. 5 years later, nothing but serviceable parts only.

So that might ring true for a crapanese car. Thankfully these GTI's are fairly reliable.

The biggest issue with the TSI engine of above? IS ran too lean from factory. Then get told by idiots at car yard you can run 95 or even 91 octane. When they ping even with 98 on factory tune. The timing chain tensioner issue due to low oil pressure, indeed did not help the cause either.

The car should run on 95.
1995 Audi RS2
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car

Online Worms

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 11:46:20 am »
A mate of mine has a 1.4TSI and just had to have the timing chain replaced. Apparently it was stretched and so the timing was out more than the VVT could compensate for. So another timing chain issue.

Very common :-(

On lots of cars too. I'd rather have a belt - at least it's cheap and easy to replace at the right time. There are plenty of new engines that have chain issues, and sometimes at very low mileages.

I did my R32 chains as a precaution, but they were fine. Seemed silly not to while the engine was out anyway - parts are cheap, but the labour isn't if you pay to have it done!!!

Offline GLIDN

• ##
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 01:41:08 pm »
The car should run on 95.

Would need to check my mk5 brochures I have in lockup.
However were rated @98 same as mk5 gti.
Top Secret Project
MK3 GTI 16v Tornado Red - under the knife soon
Mk3 12v VR6 Variant
MK4 R32 | NZ New | 3dr | Tuned by HSP Tuning | For sale
MK5 GTI DSG - Unitronic Stage 2HPFP | Stage 1 DSG | Unitronic Intake |Powervalve 3" Exhaust | Tuned by HSP Tuning | Non-OEM Stereo
Audi S4 2.7TT