Looking at buying a Tiguan

Started by 86gte, February 26, 2018, 11:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

86gte

Hi Guys,

The Tiguan "Track and Field" models seem good value and tick most of the boxes for a replacement car for the wife. I am hoping to collect one for an extended test drive this afternoon but want to know what sort of things I should be looking for? Any common issues with them or areas for concern etc?

Thanks

GLIDN

for the engine side. Look at mk6 gti issues. They share the same engine.
If your budget allows? Get a 2012 or newer facelift. The 7spd DQ500 gearbox simply transforms the car.

Has a 2.1 tonne towing capacity. Already towed 1.7 Tonne over 800kms with mine. It did so flawlessly.
If pre 2012, make sure you budget for a new chain tensioner or chain + tensioner.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

86gte

My budget is pretty low really, we were originally looking to spend sub $10k but now we are looking to stretch to $14k which definitely puts us in the older range. I have one on test drive tonight and love the way it drives compared to the Dualis and other model we had been looking at! This one is within our price range, is under 100,000km and seems very tidy and tight all round.

What sort of money is the cam chain work worth? what sort of km are they normally done at? This one is a bit rattly at idle, sounds a bit like a diesel if you lift the hood up, would that indicate it needs to have the cam chain done?  It also seemed to have a strange noise at medium speed, say cruising at 45-50kmh it sounded a little bit like an engine braking or induction sort of noise, almost like a whurring sound. Gear box and steering and everything seemed really tight and there was no funny feeling just the noise and only sometimes. Maybe it was just tires on a particular road surface.

FFS

Got a '07 Tiguan (diesel though) for my wife several years ago. It was at 70,000km then, up near the 200,000km now. Absolute joy to drive. Little has had to be done over and above the normal things like tyres and servicing etc. There was a exhaust sensor, some shocks, can't really think of anything else offhand. It still feels like great. I've been hugely impressed. When we were shopping for my eldest daughters car we frove RAV4's Suzuki somethings (all awd and about $10k) and settled on a Nissan Dualis awd at $12k. It's an ok car but is nowhere near the comfort, power, or quality of the Tiguan. I would have another, and my next car might be my wifes current car as she has been looking sideways at the new Tiguan! Other than the outlay the thing holding her back is she still really likes the one she's got.

86gte

Thanks FFS.

I took the Tiguan back after my test drive and spoke to the sales person about the sound, he had the mechanics check it over and it turns out the front right wheel bearing was starting to give up, He is having that replaced and having the roof lining replaced as it was a bit saggy. I should be picking it up mid next week :)

GLIDN

Quote from: 86gte on February 28, 2018, 02:30:03 PM
Thanks FFS.

I took the Tiguan back after my test drive and spoke to the sales person about the sound, he had the mechanics check it over and it turns out the front right wheel bearing was starting to give up, He is having that replaced and having the roof lining replaced as it was a bit saggy. I should be picking it up mid next week :)

Awesome new, good outcome and hopefully you get to enjoy it for a long time too.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning