Station Wagon recommendations?

Started by robh, June 30, 2017, 09:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VW'n

06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

Trofeo

2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

robh

Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

robh

Quote from: schattenblau on June 30, 2017, 06:59:58 PM
how about a territory turbo ?
sorta like an xr6 t wagon.

or porsche cayenne, bmw x5 ?

No mummy wagons.

schattenblau

robh

VW'n

06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

HaNs

Quote from: robh on June 30, 2017, 09:25:33 PM
Can't find a tow rating anywhere??

Yeh merc didn't design the c63 chassis to tow. I've looked into it.

The ML63 is rated for it

I was looking for a tow wagon. 530i and 320d are rated at 2 ton. Also outback. But ended up with a new Colorado.

schattenblau

i've seen c63 with towbars and trailers attached.

they doing something naughty

:-\

Worms

Quote from: schattenblau on June 30, 2017, 11:41:28 PM

This is NZ.

For a passenger car, you can build your own towbar, and trailer.

It doesn't matter if you can weld or not, or if you have any engineering skills or knowledge at all.

You can make it for basically any car you want.

That's how we roll.

However, 105 on a long weekend, in a properly engineered and maintained car is FAAAAAAAR more dangerous... apparently.

HaNs

Quote from: schattenblau on June 30, 2017, 11:41:28 PM

The chassis isn't designed for pulling. I'm sure it will be fine with a small garden trailer

00quattro00

The tow ratings by the manufacturer are not law.

QuoteMost vehicles have tow ratings given to them by the manufacturer specifying the gross trailer weight braked, unbraked, or both, that the vehicle can safely tow. Although the law does not require these tow ratings to be followed, the NZ Transport Agency recommends that they be taken into account.

In addition to the requirements above, the law requires that every light vehicle and trailer combination must be capable of stopping within a distance of seven metres from a speed of 30km/h. In effect, this means that the maximum allowable weight of an unbraked trailer is limited by the weight and braking ability of the vehicle being used to tow it.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/glovebox-guide-safe-loading-towing/guide-safe-loading-towing.html
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

robh

Audi S6 V10 station wagon?

Has proper ZF auto box and 4wd so would probably be a better bet for the odd towing run than DSG.

McDoof

Gen4 (04 to 09) Subaru Legacy 3.0R.
Good in both auto and manual. Personally prefer the 6 speed but they are pretty rare. Just needs a bit of an ECU remap to release the demons within. My old one was up to 163kw at all 4 wheels with a bit of a tune and some headers. Which cost me less than a VAG Stage1 tune when added together.
Good for towing. I used mine to tow around a boat and the odd twin wheel trailer when I was moving house.
A bit of fun to drive
AWD
Pretty cheap these days.
You could go with an outback, but then some of the fun goes away due to the difference in handling.

Something like this with low km
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-1292062709.htm
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

robh

Quote from: McDoof on July 04, 2017, 10:49:01 AM
Gen4 (04 to 09) Subaru Legacy 3.0R.
Good in both auto and manual. Personally prefer the 6 speed but they are pretty rare. Just needs a bit of an ECU remap to release the demons within. My old one was up to 163kw at all 4 wheels with a bit of a tune and some headers. Which cost me less than a VAG Stage1 tune when added together.
Good for towing. I used mine to tow around a boat and the odd twin wheel trailer when I was moving house.
A bit of fun to drive
AWD
Pretty cheap these days.
You could go with an outback, but then some of the fun goes away due to the difference in handling.

Something like this with low km
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-1292062709.htm

Had some Legacys over the years, bit light on torque for towing car trailer, from memory 3.0 was only 1800KG and turbo only 1500KG.

Trofeo

Quote from: robh on July 04, 2017, 12:11:30 PM
Had some Legacys over the years, bit light on torque for towing car trailer, from memory 3.0 was only 1800KG and turbo only 1500KG.
tend to agree here. Had an 09 gtb legacy and it didn't tow well at all. Very twitchy at open road speed. Could be just the bilstein model, but my 04 A4 avant was far superior.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

McDoof

Quote from: robh on July 04, 2017, 12:11:30 PM

The torque issues are sorted with a remap. I would never drive one with the stock tune. It's terrible. Remap is only $400 too.
To be fair I had a 6 speed sedan, but I think they are much of a muchness.
Blue is tuned, red is stock
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Gordo

Are you going to need 4WD or are you going to be OK with 2WD - if the former, it will rule out some larger vehicles.
Have you looked at the cost of hiring a heavier vehicle for the odd jobs and buying a smaller car for general use Vs the overall cost of owning a single larger vehicle for the few times you need it? Heck, you may be able to borrow a tow vehicle from a mate for a box of beer.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

robh

Flix got me thinking about Commodore VF SSV Redline Station Wagon the other weekend.

Done a bunch of googling, youtubing and drove a VF and VF2 with the LS3 motor.  Actually pretty smitten on the VF2, it's like a stealth mode HSV, the engine pretty much makes HSV power and by all accounts makes more on dyno stock than quoted. 

Heaps of room for the kids and family stuff and will pull 2100kg. 

All media commentary on them is positive, obviously not the last word in quality compared to high end euro stuff, but for the price it seems to be amazing value.

Also I can't see them being anywhere near as expensive to fix when things go wrong.

Anyone got views on the VF2?

89 Coupe

1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90