Adding bluetooth.

Started by sholdowa, July 08, 2017, 05:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sholdowa

I've got a 2005 JDM A6, to which I would like to add bluetooth. I've been trawling around the net, looking for the right bits, but am confused as to what I have. It was originally a pretty upmarket beast, with the Bose audio, and even a TV - unfortunately not digital!

I would like to get a bluetooth adapter to use my phone as an extra source, but I really am unsure what bits I actually need, or even what hardware is installed!

Here's a photo of the label on the unit in the boot. Can anyone point me towards my options, available upgrades, etc???

Cheers,

Steve

byront8

That part number points to the radio.

Which is a Japanese unit and [probably doens't pick up full NZ radio frequencies.

If its a 2G unit, then bluetooth control modules have to be mounted under the driver's seat unless i am mistaken. Typical cost is really high as the bluetooth unit is hard to find.

Might be better off looking to retrofit 3G system into the car

sholdowa

Do you have pointers to how to do this? I've not done this kind of thing before, but with a 12 yo car that's on good nick well specced and probably of zero value, I'd just like to update it a bit. Until petrol cars are banned in 10 years (:

byront8

This is a good site to start with:

http://audiforum.us/threads/a6-mmi-3g-upgrade.10779/

Adding bluetooth will be around $500NZd, adding a 3G unit wil be double that, but it is still updated by Audi, whereas the 2G isn't

sholdowa

wow... thought a 3rd party AMI one should work. How niaive I am! Thanks for the reference, something to read tonight.

byront8

Also take some pictures of you interior and post them up on Audizine forum, that's the best place to get help on this stuff.

Huge resource pool over there.