235/40/18s on Stock GTI Rims Anyone doing it?

Started by McDoof, July 12, 2017, 01:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schattenblau

18 x7.5 reps ?

do you know the offset and weight ?

factory 18s are heavy, black paint probably makes them heavier.

:laugh:

Naekyr

These would be new rims

I'm leaning towards these https://dtm.co.nz/assets/Marlin/WEBW-NICESSENMB.jpg

OR these (Plus making them black): https://dtm.co.nz/assets/Marlin/WEBW-REVW5573BKF.jpg

The 2nd link is the OEM Clubsport S rims, but I can get replica's made

Or these replica golf r ones (again made black though): https://dtm.co.nz/assets/Marlin/WEBW-REVW5586.jpg

I'd just be adding the weight back on that I gained from replacing the heavy stock exhaust with the milltek one, I think its something like 15 or 20kg weight saving

Here is a mk5 golf with the replica clubsport s rims equiped, don't know what tyres are on there

Now imagine those rims but blacked out with newly painted racing red calipers - maybe its not as cool as it sounds in my head, but I get excited when I think about it..

McDoof

I was going to re-paint my callipers but ended up just rubbing them with polishing compound. They came up good as new.
Before

After
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

thats a pretty good result, unfortunately in addition to the dirt/fading my calipers also have chips in the paint and polishing won't fix that

Naekyr

Had this done, pics to follow

I think my wheels are extending slightly further than mcdoof's due to 18x8 rather than 18x7.5 rim

Hopefully I get used to the look, otherwise may look at some guard rolling, there is zero rubbing happening, just a visual personal preferance

But after some quick initial testing there is a big increase in grip - the previous tyres were PS3's with 6mm of tread left, these 235 PS4's are night and day, no more wheel spin, no more wheel hop and traction control light doesnt even come on from a hard pullaway in sport mode!

Basically it feels like GTI's should have come with 235 tyres to begin with

McDoof

^^This^^
The amount of power that is actually delivered to the road now is in a different league. Not sure if it's the PS4s or just going up to 235s, but it's confidence inspiring.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

First day driving to work - great tyres but with the radio off, they do produce a little more road noise, unsure if its down to the extra size or if its just PS4

McDoof

Took the car out for a spirited drive from east Auckland out to the Hunuas over the weekend with 3 heavy people in the car including myself. I have noticed a few things.
1. The car is a bit more twitchy at speed than it was before. As in the every tiny little steering input translates into movement. Not a bad thing as such but took some getting used to.
2. When the car is loaded up and being driven hard I got a tiny bit of rubbing in the front left arch liner. Going through a corner that had a bump in it. Really only there where the arch liner bulges out for the fixing screw but still a bit of rubbing if given the right combination of corner, loading and speed.
3. Almost no torque steer compared to before. Still some but not much.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

Haven't noticed any rubing but most i carry is a couple small sized people

Pics as promised but they are lazy pics and im late to the party - car is dirty and needs a clean again and some better angle and lighting for pics, found a few mint spots in auckland but need some nice clear sunset/night weather rather than this awful overcast weather of late

Ended up not painting the calipers although I did paint the rotors black as there was a little rust on them and black looks better than silver
For the calipers I took your advice mcdoof, just used some dragons breath and a tooth brush, then some polish by hand and finished with a ceramic coating

Now the paint, windows, trim, rims and calipers all have ceramic coating so they all get nice and shiny after a wash

McDoof

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Fizz

Quote from: McDoof on October 17, 2017, 09:41:38 AM
2. When the car is loaded up and being driven hard I got a tiny bit of rubbing in the front left arch liner. Going through a corner that had a bump in it. Really only there where the arch liner bulges out for the fixing screw but still a bit of rubbing if given the right combination of corner, loading and speed.

you need to do the fender screw mod. Remove the screw at the top and push the fender liner to sit onto of the screw tab ;)

McDoof

Quote from: Fizz on October 27, 2017, 09:39:51 AM
you need to do the fender screw mod. Remove the screw at the top and push the fender liner to sit onto of the screw tab ;)

I'll give it a go.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

Quote from: McDoof on October 27, 2017, 10:19:05 AM
I'll give it a go.

That will fix it.
Had this issue, since lowering my mk6 gti last week.
No longer rubbing.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning