Author Topic: Audi TT 3.2 Exhaust Options  (Read 1582 times)

Offline heylinb4nz

Re: Audi TT 3.2 Exhaust Options
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 11:42:07 am »
Don't forget that you will pay another 15% when it arrives here. Anything over $400 attracts GST

Mabey :) its through Parcelforce, I've never incurred GST through their delivery, but DHL, Fedex etc almost always.

But yeah good point that may take it over the $1000 mark (which psychologically doesn't seem as much of a bargain). I'm not even sure why i'm humming and haaing about it, money isnt an issue for me...but my main objectives is to do it properlyfirst time and get something I like the sound of....ideally with the least amount of customisation, chopping and cutting.

Plus I can legit use a Cobra sticker on the quarter windows if I go the offical route :)

Offline Brett

• #
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 11:46:55 am »
Don't forget that you will pay another 15% when it arrives here. Anything over $400 attracts GST
Hit and miss. Expect to pay but they only catch and charge a few.
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant.

Current:
Company car

Offline DTM

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 09:17:22 pm »
Just be careful with customs they are extremely sharp. Not sure what  your imported system will cost you but as mentioned if the value is over $400 expect to pay GST and possibly duty. Is there no local performance exhaust outlet who can do this for you?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:24:35 pm by DTM »

Offline heylinb4nz

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 10:46:10 pm »
Just be careful with customs they are extremely sharp. Not sure what  your imported system will cost you but as mentioned if the value is over $400 expect to pay GST and possibly duty. Is there no local performance exhaust outlet who can do this for you?

I'd usually use Adrenalin R gear, 2 of their oval Chambers in a config like scorpion.....but sound wise will be hit and miss..loved the sound on my MR2 Turbo...but not sure what to expect on the TT. Price wise would be about same with a friend doing the welding.

Offline Naekyr

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 08:23:39 am »

i got my exhaust from a local store and they had to order in the model I wanted and it ended up getting delayed by a week as customs was holding it for some reason

Offline heylinb4nz

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 09:39:06 am »
Got a reply back from Cobra Sports, they advised that the non resonated version is indeed quite loud and not really suited to highway driving for long periods. So by the sounds of it the resonated version is the way to go.

I'm thinking at this stage the resonated version with removal of the small pre silencer after the cat may yield a good result....essentially the Tampa mod but with a Cobra resonator instead of Magnaflow and Cobra rear instead of factory.

On the custom route I feel that these companies (MIlltek, Cobra, Scorpion) have put in the R&D on the Audi platforms so its less of a crapshot as to what sound I will get. + resonators are cheap quick and easy to tune the sound if need be.

Offline Fizz

• OEM+
  • ##
  • When I Said I'd Hit THAT, I Meant With My Car ;)
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 11:59:44 am »
FYI My New Clutch kit came in via DHL this week. Got it valued under $400 still got Taxed.
White '14 Octavia RS400 Combi
White '97 Golf GTI Daily/Track Hack SOLD
Red '05 Golf GTI SOLD
Red '99 Golf GTI SOLD

Offline GLIDN

• ##
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2017, 04:09:18 pm »
other part many do not remember or realize.
Not all parts imported or subjective to the same import costs (on imported value)

Depending on what you import? You also can be charged duty, depending on product.
For Example brake pads had a 22% duty charge last time I imported brakes. Which only gets applied after the GST has been applied on imported costs.

Top Secret Project
MK3 GTI 16v Tornado Red - under the knife soon
Mk3 12v VR6 Variant
MK5 GTI DSG - Unitronic Stage 1 | Stage 1 DSG | Unitronic Intake |Tuned by HSP Tuning |
MK6 GTI DSG -  Unitronic Stage 2 | Stage 1 DSG | Unitronic Intake

Offline heylinb4nz

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2017, 04:34:38 pm »
OK so after ALOT of research into the Tampa Mod vs TT Catback systems (Cobra, Milltek and Scorpion) it seems the major drawback on the aftermarket route is the element of harshness it brings to the VR6 note (even if resonated). VW got the note right for the R32 Golf and i've decided that will be great improvement to the TT without going too far. If more is needed then im sure I can add a custom back muffler later on.

So its looking like a full length Tampa mod is on the cards :) and ill make sure to do a decent before \ after vid once complete.

Sourced a Magnaflow 10416 for $130NZ shipped + $25 for a 45 degree bend + $50 for a straight....so $205NZ all up (plus some beer for my welder )

Again the end sound of this mod on 3.2 TT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ZjJws54Os

Compared to a stock R32 Golf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiZ5pVmuZPU

Offline GLIDN

• ##
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 07:48:58 pm »
if it's of any help?

I have a mk6R catback exhaust. As well as a S3 Catback exhaust if either maybe of any use?
Top Secret Project
MK3 GTI 16v Tornado Red - under the knife soon
Mk3 12v VR6 Variant
MK5 GTI DSG - Unitronic Stage 1 | Stage 1 DSG | Unitronic Intake |Tuned by HSP Tuning |
MK6 GTI DSG -  Unitronic Stage 2 | Stage 1 DSG | Unitronic Intake

Offline Naekyr

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2017, 08:26:27 pm »
people these days are too worried about drone, back in the day before resonaters and cataclytic converters powerful cars all had drone, drone means power - embrace the drone :)

Offline McDoof

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2017, 10:51:45 pm »
people these days are too worried about drone, back in the day before resonaters and cataclytic converters powerful cars all had drone, drone means power - embrace the drone :)
It's called progress.  8)
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning

Offline heylinb4nz

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2017, 10:36:54 am »

The car is about the only place I get time to enjoy music these days, so definitely hope drone wont be an issue. Going by reviews of that Magnaflow it does a good job at removing those frequencies. Easy enough to add another short resonator back in upstream if thats the case.

Offline Naekyr

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2017, 11:11:42 am »
my experience will milltek exhausts is they pretty much avoid drone all together, at the top end they sound a little softer than other makes but its worth it if you want to avoid drone, also just turn up the volume  8)

Offline heylinb4nz

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 12:36:07 pm »
my experience will milltek exhausts is they pretty much avoid drone all together, at the top end they sound a little softer than other makes but its worth it if you want to avoid drone, also just turn up the volume  8)

I must admit i'm a bit bored of the EDM, Glitchhop, House and Gangster Rap .............so perhaps this upgrade will give me something else to listen to.