Audi TT 3.2 Exhaust Options

Started by heylinb4nz, July 25, 2017, 02:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naekyr

people these days are too worried about drone, back in the day before resonaters and cataclytic converters powerful cars all had drone, drone means power - embrace the drone :)

McDoof

Quote from: Naekyr on August 08, 2017, 08:26:27 PM
people these days are too worried about drone, back in the day before resonaters and cataclytic converters powerful cars all had drone, drone means power - embrace the drone :)
It's called progress.  8)
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

heylinb4nz

Quote from: Naekyr on August 08, 2017, 08:26:27 PM

The car is about the only place I get time to enjoy music these days, so definitely hope drone wont be an issue. Going by reviews of that Magnaflow it does a good job at removing those frequencies. Easy enough to add another short resonator back in upstream if thats the case.

Naekyr

my experience will milltek exhausts is they pretty much avoid drone all together, at the top end they sound a little softer than other makes but its worth it if you want to avoid drone, also just turn up the volume  8)

heylinb4nz

Quote from: Naekyr on August 09, 2017, 11:11:42 AM
my experience will milltek exhausts is they pretty much avoid drone all together, at the top end they sound a little softer than other makes but its worth it if you want to avoid drone, also just turn up the volume  8)

I must admit i'm a bit bored of the EDM, Glitchhop, House and Gangster Rap .............so perhaps this upgrade will give me something else to listen to.

Naekyr

I've got the exact same setup as this one, you can hear what I mean - with the slow pull away you can't hear much and its the same in cabin, there is no drone with cruising and little sound with slow pull away, also startup  is more muted and revving sounds only slightly better than stock - but thats what Milltek aims for.
The system comes into its element when you put your foot down which happens at the end of the video

Not sure if you can embed youtube videos on this forum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGtBBcer4Ds

heylinb4nz

Well I went and did the full length Tampa Mod last week. All up it was $270 parts and fitting (mates rates). Yet to get sound clips (letting it bed in a bit more). Initial thoughts are WOW, this is how the 3.2 TT should have sounded from the factory. Regular driving its all very close to stock sound below 2800 rpm, above that it really sings in a good way, under load in low rpm has a nice VR6 thump to it.

Throttle response feels much smoother, and also slightly quicker across the rev range (i also run a K&N and the car just feels more connected to what the accelerator is doing.

Plan to get some stationary and drive-by shots with the HD camcorder once the weather sorts itself out !!.

GLIDN

that's awesome news.

first thing I cannot recommend highly enough is to remove the K&N intake filter. it's the quickest way of death for the airflow sensor.

depending on where in NZ you are?
I can easily provide extra power. Usually around 12-18kw @ all 4 wheels too. Not to mention the extra torque.

Quote from: heylinb4nz on October 06, 2017, 02:45:05 PM
Well I went and did the full length Tampa Mod last week. All up it was $270 parts and fitting (mates rates). Yet to get sound clips (letting it bed in a bit more). Initial thoughts are WOW, this is how the 3.2 TT should have sounded from the factory. Regular driving its all very close to stock sound below 2800 rpm, above that it really sings in a good way, under load in low rpm has a nice VR6 thump to it.

Throttle response feels much smoother, and also slightly quicker across the rev range (i also run a K&N and the car just feels more connected to what the accelerator is doing.

Plan to get some stationary and drive-by shots with the HD camcorder once the weather sorts itself out !!.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

80 Vert

Optimistic numbers are easy to quote, harder to back up.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Naekyr

dont reccomend a K&N aftermarket air filter either, you can google them to find all the issues people have had over the years

unsure if a complete replacement (CAI) would be better though (for reliability and longevity)

heylinb4nz

Quote from: Naekyr on October 08, 2017, 07:57:40 AM
dont reccomend a K&N aftermarket air filter either, you can google them to find all the issues people have had over the years

unsure if a complete replacement (CAI) would be better though (for reliability and longevity)

Must be people over oiling ? I've had Simota and/or KN oiled filters on all my cars over past 20 years never once had a air sensor fail.

GLIDN

Quote from: heylinb4nz on October 08, 2017, 09:08:01 AM
Must be people over oiling ? I've had Simota and/or KN oiled filters on all my cars over past 20 years never once had a air sensor fail.

crapanese cars other than subaru don't mind.
VW/Audi are very specific to intake choices.

Simota filters are dry filters not oil based. Hence little issues with them.

McDoof

I have been running K&N filters in every car I have owned in the last 15 years without issues. I think people have issues with them if they service them wrong. Either too much oil so they foul the maf or too little oil which makes them ineffective as a filter. I use the aerosol oil to oil mine.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

Quote from: McDoof on October 09, 2017, 09:10:45 AM
I have been running K&N filters in every car I have owned in the last 15 years without issues. I think people have issues with them if they service them wrong. Either too much oil so they foul the maf or too little oil which makes them ineffective as a filter. I use the aerosol oil to oil mine.

Perhaps. I will always advise anyone with an Audi/VW to not use any intake with an oil based system.

heylinb4nz

Got my first sound clip up, will get some take offs filmed as it sounds really nice under load.

https://youtu.be/4VMmsXikdM0

McDoof

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

Quote from: heylinb4nz on October 10, 2017, 01:32:18 PM
Got my first sound clip up, will get some take offs filmed as it sounds really nice under load.

https://youtu.be/4VMmsXikdM0

Sounds really good.

slowmo

That sounds good.

Can you elaborate more about this Tampa Mod? I have a mk5 r32 and i?m looking at a cheaper way to get a better sound out of it too 😁
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

heylinb4nz

Quote from: slowmo on October 11, 2017, 11:48:19 AM
That sounds good.

Can you elaborate more about this Tampa Mod? I have a mk5 r32 and i?m looking at a cheaper way to get a better sound out of it too 😁

Everything you need here

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1057257

Cheapest source for the Magnaflow 10416 for me was Amazon $130NZD shipped. Most exhaust shops you should be able to supply just this part and they will do the rest.