Audi TT 3.2 Exhaust Options

Started by heylinb4nz, July 25, 2017, 02:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heylinb4nz

Im dicing with the idea of getting either a Scorpion or Milltek exhaust for the TT. Price for both is around $1000-$1100 from the UK which seems pretty good. Anyone had any experience with either of these ?

The sound clips on YouTube sound great for both and i'm wondering if drone would be an issue for either one, and of course decibel level for getting a WOF.

Any feedback \ suggestions welcomed.

Worms

How much noise do you want?

Has your car got 0, 1 or 2 resonators underneath?

In this image....

... you can see it has 1 resonator fitted, about halfway along the floor pan, in one pipe.

If your car is a japanese import, it wouldn't surprise me if you have 2 fitted - my A3 3.2 parts car did.

The Golf R32's didn't have any, and it does give such a nice burble!

Where the two resonators would be/are, there is just a straight pipe replacment - you could always try it for not much dollars :-) and then you could keep your warranty extension  8)

heylinb4nz

Quick look under I have Cats on downpipe, small resonator, then a larger one before the muffler, its a Japanese import.

I did look at cutting out a resonator but heard it can be raspy and a bit drony at highway speed....sound clips of the Miltek sound pretty awesome.

heylinb4nz

On the resonator cutout option I found this

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1057257

Pricing up all the parts to do this (not including beer for my welder) $300NZ...or $325 if opting for Adrenalin R resonator over Magnaflow. Could be a cost effective stage one upgrade and then look at getting Adrenalin R to do a 1 in 2 out back box at some stage...although from the sound clip above it sounds pretty good.

Worms

He swapped the "rear" resonator (near rear axle) with the magnaflow.

You could just start with the front resonator, which would only be a bit of pipe, and some welding (or find a second hand R32 exhaust).

Cutting out the rear res entirely does make it drony and raspy, from what I hear.

On my R32 Touran, I have no front resonators (as per R32), but the rear one (in front of rear axle) is still there - at the time, it fed into the stock Touran rear "suitcase" muffler, and it sounded awesome - quiet-ish, but very purposeful! I'm altering the rear muffler to include the R32 flapper valve, and better flow when it opens it.

heylinb4nz

Quote from: Worms on July 26, 2017, 10:55:33 AM
He swapped the "rear" resonator (near rear axle) with the magnaflow.

You could just start with the front resonator, which would only be a bit of pipe, and some welding (or find a second hand R32 exhaust).

Cutting out the rear res entirely does make it drony and raspy, from what I hear.

On my R32 Touran, I have no front resonators (as per R32), but the rear one (in front of rear axle) is still there - at the time, it fed into the stock Touran rear "suitcase" muffler, and it sounded awesome - quiet-ish, but very purposeful! I'm altering the rear muffler to include the R32 flapper valve, and better flow when it opens it.

Sounds like plan, start small and work my way up if I need more sound. I quite like the stock burble, would just like a little more volume and excitement at the lower rpm range.

GLIDN

If you cut out CAT's? Othere than a tune required to accommodate.

I will highly recommend putting in resonators in their place. the 3.2 motor requires back pressure. Otherwise you will actually loose power.
Additionally, no CATS etc, will be drony too.

Lastly, get a scorpion, the miltek product are simply not up to their durability back in the day. Additionally are not the best in terms of flow either.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

McDoof

If it's anything like the Subaru H6 then I would highly recommend keeping your CATS in place.
Removing the cats on that made it really raspy.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

00quattro00

Quote from: McDoof on July 26, 2017, 12:53:20 PM
If it's anything like the Subaru H6 then I would highly recommend keeping your CATS in place.

Yep a flat 6 and a vr6 will sound exactly the same
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

heylinb4nz

Quote from: McDoof on July 26, 2017, 12:53:20 PM

Amen to that, did the Subtech front pipe on our 04 Legacy GT and quickly added a Adrenalin R resonator to the system to get rid of that nasty raspy sound.

heylinb4nz

Quote from: GLIDN on July 26, 2017, 12:18:01 PM
If you cut out CAT's? Othere than a tune required to accommodate.

I will highly recommend putting in resonators in their place. the 3.2 motor requires back pressure. Otherwise you will actually loose power.
Additionally, no CATS etc, will be drony too.

Lastly, get a scorpion, the miltek product are simply not up to their durability back in the day. Additionally are not the best in terms of flow either.

Found some scorpion clips here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oArtSsWiOJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeZ1QBGoZsQ

Can get this from Demon Tweaks for $1077NZ shipped, but note that the rear valance needs to be cut (unless welding stock tips back on. No going back from that.

How about Cobra ? any good ?

Worms

The cats are the ones right at the front. Don't cut them out - emissions go up, yes... but so does the stink! Non cat cars smell BAAAAD!

2 seconds behind my '72 Beetle and you get a headache, you'd probably survive fine, for 20 minutes in a closed garage with my mrs BMW.

I doubt there's any real performance to be gained from an exhaust swap on an R32 engine anyway - everything else is farly restrictive , and they're by NO means a "performance" engine - they're very average output, though the low end torque is quite good, for their day.

The front parts can all be changed with R32 bits, and the rear suitcase muffler can probably be modded to be a lot like the R32 muffler.

I have some pics of the inside of an R32 rear muffler somewhere - One pipe goes around the inside in a loop and through some convoluted paths, and the other is a straight through pipe full of little holes to the flapper, which opens at the right times  8)

McDoof

Just changing the exhaust will not get you a much of a gain. If you match your new flowing exhaust with an ECU remap you can get a bit out of it. I only know this from my H6 Legacy. ECU remap alone gained around 15kw. Made a much cleaner torque curve.
Added headers and removed a restrictive 3rd cat from the system and remapped to match and got another 12kw.
By no means the sort of gains you get with a turbo engine, but well worth it in my opinion.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

heylinb4nz

Quote from: McDoof on July 26, 2017, 07:45:16 PM
Just changing the exhaust will not get you a much of a gain. If you match your new flowing exhaust with an ECU remap you can get a bit out of it. I only know this from my H6 Legacy. ECU remap alone gained around 15kw. Made a much cleaner torque curve.
Added headers and removed a restrictive 3rd cat from the system and remapped to match and got another 12kw.
By no means the sort of gains you get with a turbo engine, but well worth it in my opinion.

Not really after any gains, just seeking a bit more of the wookie sound in the low end and perhaps some volume \ decibels up in the top end.

Id really like to trial a Adrenalin R resonator, but I suppose the Magnaflow has been proven and Ill know what im going to get sound wise.

McDoof

Your noise killers are these 2. I realise this may not be the exact layout of your exhaust (I think you may have twin exit) but the principals are the same
If you are just after noise then you start with the axle back section. These are normally baffled. Something free flowing will give you some extra growl. If you still want more then replace the resonator under the fuel tank. I'd leave the rest as is.

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

heylinb4nz

Quote from: McDoof on July 27, 2017, 10:06:31 AM
Your noise killers are these 2. I realise this may not be the exact layout of your exhaust (I think you may have twin exit) but the principals are the same
If you are just after noise then you start with the axle back section. These are normally baffled. Something free flowing will give you some extra growl. If you still want more then replace the resonator under the fuel tank. I'd leave the rest as is.

Yep bar the twin exit, those resonators are the ones I have. The scorpion system does exactly what you are suggesting ditches the rear muffler and large resonator, while the Tampa Mod ditches small resonator and replaces the large one with a free flowing resonator.

One is a $300 mod and the other a $1000

I suppose the question is based on the 2 youtube clips which sounds better. I marginally prefer the scorpion exhaust sound, but the Tampa mod also sounds little bit better than stock.

McDoof

The large resonator will be the one the keeps the drone under control.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

heylinb4nz

Quote from: McDoof on July 27, 2017, 12:49:56 PM
The large resonator will be the one the keeps the drone under control.

Highlights how good the Milltek system is that they can drop this component and create something that isn't drony.

Im also wondering if I just fit an electric valve\cutout and open up it up occasionally for when I want some noise ?

McDoof

Quote from: heylinb4nz on July 27, 2017, 02:22:58 PM
Highlights how good the Milltek system is that they can drop this component and create something that isn't drony.

Im also wondering if I just fit an electric valve\cutout and open up it up occasionally for when I want some noise ?

Technically not legal.
See Point 4
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/exhaust/exhaust-system
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

McDoof

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red