Volkswagen name Tesla as their main future automotive rival (Driven)

Started by le mans, August 09, 2017, 07:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

Interesting! Electric cars are the way things are going though and Tesla have an advantage in that their cars are designed from the outset as electric only.
As a young and agile company they seem to be doing a good job of adding functionality and designing in future-proofing to their cars.
They're losing money, so time will tell as to how sustainable their business model will be.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

brian

I've often wondered how long the loss making can continue.
If they can ramp up the model 3 production fairly quickly, avoiding the QC problems they appear to be plagued with,  things may come right but as I said in an earlier post some time back, there is scope here for a great success or spectacular failure.
Tucker or de Lorean anyone?

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

slowburn

i don't think the car division of elon musks empire is about making a profit yet...its more about proof of concept maybe?
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Gordo

One BIG advantage tesla has is they have dedicated fast chargers around the world, that use proprietary technology. Currently, the Tesla installed ones are free, so I would expect the opposition to be considering licencing this technology and some form of charging for non-Tesla users for the power.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

schattenblau

Quote from: slowburn on August 09, 2017, 04:07:42 PM
i don't think the car division of elon musks empire is about making a profit yet...its more about proof of concept maybe?

back in 2015 musk said profitability by 2020, since then accelerated production plans have brought that forward to 2018.