D1S 6000K Bulbs

Started by heylinb4nz, August 11, 2017, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heylinb4nz

Been looking at upgrading from factory 4300K Xenons to something a bit whiter. My car is 2007 so the factory bulbs are nearing 10 years of use, plus I want a more modern look.

Been looking at

Philips White Vision ($240+)
Osram CBI (Cool Blue INtense) ($230+)
MTEC 6000K (uses GE glass) ($185NZ Shipped)

and this one locally for a mere $65 (made in Europe) and seller uses them in his own car.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1391739308

Cant find a NZ supplier for Philips or Osram and wonder if the risk of buying from ebAY means ill get fakes ?

Tempted to try the $65 ones from Recon Electronic in CHristchurch....whats the chances of damaging my factory ballasts ?.

Gordo

See if you can check the colour out first - 6k is, to me, a bit on the blue side.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

heylinb4nz

Check out my question on that auction, seems their European designed / assembled D1S are suddenly not suitable for my car. A quick numbers/image search found these for $25nz on Aliexpress. Seems that MTEC, Osram or Philips are it. 6000k are what my H11 and led side markets are currently so keen to match.

black16v

Just be careful when buying cheap HID bulbs, some are inferior. Google "fake hid bulbs" and their is some interesting reading. We fitted a cheap chinese D2S bulb supplied by the customer (non VAG). Four weeks later it was back, light not working again. The base of the bulb and connector were melted and the ignitor smoked. An expensive exercise.
An Auto Electrical workshop should be able to source Philips or Osram from their suppliers.
1988 MK II GTI 16V