Looking for views on S3 vs Golf R Mk6 vs Gti Mk7

Started by Max Power, August 17, 2017, 07:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Power

Long story short...

Brought a MK7 Golf for the wife earlier this year, it's great and I drive it any chance I get. It's now time for me to get a better daily (currently a 1978 Mini). I took an S3 (8P) for a test drive today, I expected to really love it - on paper it's like the Golf but better, just a little older right? Well... I was underwhelmed, upside was the 4WD was awesome in the wet compared with the Mk7, it was comfy and refined but that's about where it ended.

What I really want is something as fun or more fun than the Gti we have. So, having never driven a MK6 Golf R should I expect that to be similar to the S3? Would a modified version be more what I'm looking for?

Should I just bail on this idea and get a something else? And if so, then what would you point me towards that is fun but still a useable daily?

Period_Correct_

Megane RS if you want 3 door. Golf GTI for a 5 door hatch...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

slowmo

I'm kinda in the same position trying to determining where to upgrade to from a MK6 GTI.

I drove a 3-door 8P S3 and reall was impressed. Meanwhile I was underwhelmed with the MK7 GTI.

Also test drove an Alfa Guiliette QV, on paper should be faster/better than both the Mk6 and MK7 but it never felt fast and i found it too quirky. Pretty car though!
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

schattenblau

what budget max ?

out of the three mentioned - mk7 gti

forget about haldex - nastnas is on the money

Max Power

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. We have a mk7 gti and now looking for a 2nd car.

I really like the mk7 so the new car needs to be more fun, I thought the S3 would do that but it seemed to lack something.

Requirements, are sub $30k, 4+ doors, somewhat safe (have 2 young kids). Must be fun, one of those cars where you want to take the long way home. Track day capable

Looking around there is a varied bunch on my watch list, R32 golf R, Lexus ISF, S4, S6 because V10...

Naekyr

Quote from: slowmo on August 17, 2017, 10:12:23 PM
I'm kinda in the same position trying to determining where to upgrade to from a MK6 GTI.

I drove a 3-door 8P S3 and reall was impressed. Meanwhile I was underwhelmed with the MK7 GTI.

Also test drove an Alfa Guiliette QV, on paper should be faster/better than both the Mk6 and MK7 but it never felt fast and i found it too quirky. Pretty car though!

A friend bought a QV a couple months back, on paper the output is 230hp - did a little race with him and my stock mk6 gti was neck and neck, he couldn't pull away, but now my gti is stage 2 so I leave his QV in my rear view mirror

Naekyr

Quote from: Max Power on August 18, 2017, 08:02:44 AM

I really like the mk7 so the new car needs to be more fun, I thought the S3 would do that but it seemed to lack something.

Requirements, are sub $30k, 4+ doors, somewhat safe (have 2 young kids). Must be fun, one of those cars where you want to take the long way home. Track day capable

Looking around there is a varied bunch on my watch list, R32 golf R, Lexus ISF, S4, S6 because V10...

It really depends what you're after here, those cars will all give you a very different experience

If you like a GTI but want more power, consider tuning your MK7 GTI that you already have, with an exhaust and a tune those things will put out somewhere around 320hp/450nm.

If you found an R/S3 not quick enough you can tune them as well to get around 370hp/500nm.

If you want 4wd and a big upgrade in performance, you could look for a cheap RS3.

If you want something different (like RWD) go test drive a M135i, with a 3.0L twin scroll straight 6 it will pull a lot smoother than the 4 cylinders in the GTI/R/S3 etc - its also got a lot of potential at the high end, tunes put them around 400hp/550nm and because its RWD you can have some fun with them at the track

I wouldn't recommend the R32, they sound real good though, but have a lot less power potential and they are pretty heavy (unless you play on doing some advanced modding like adding a turbo) - also its an older platform so the interior and features will be a big downgrade from your MK7 GTI.

schattenblau

Quote from: Max Power on August 18, 2017, 08:02:44 AM

wait a few years for the peugeot 308gti to depreciate more.
currently they are down to the low 40s
for sheer fun will kick vag butt

where can you find a lexus isf for $30k ???

GLIDN

i have the whole clan. mk2 up to mk6R.
hands down mk5 is the best overall.

mk2 most fun with least power.
mk3 is an awesome open road cruiser

mk6R, by far is the most boring of them all.
built a forged motor big turbo mk6r. While tuning it as well.
At 450-500hp the car starts to become enjoyable. 

but the mk5 Gti still wins with half the power.

So far the only cars I have enjoyed more are the Tiguan 2.0tsi 4-motion and the mk7R.

built and driven plenty 400hp mk7 gti golf's as well.
As nice as it is to drive. It feels very disconnected.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

schattenblau

Max Power

Thanks guys. I had no idea the mk5 gti would be that good.

Basic update is the wife is getting a work car so I'll grab the mk7. I don't think it'll stay stock for much longer...

McDoof

Quote from: Max Power on August 24, 2017, 11:57:09 AM
Thanks guys. I had no idea the mk5 gti would be that good.

Basic update is the wife is getting a work car so I'll grab the mk7. I don't think it'll stay stock for much longer...

Talk to GLIDN about getting a simple stage 1 ECU remap. It will surprise you. 
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Filx

Quote from: GLIDN on August 18, 2017, 10:12:09 PM

built and driven plenty 400hp mk7 gti golf's as well.
As nice as it is to drive. It feels very disconnected.

So there's plenty of Mk7 GTIs running around with upgraded turbos?
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Naekyr

Quote from: McDoof on August 24, 2017, 01:32:12 PM
Talk to GLIDN about getting a simple stage 1 ECU remap. It will surprise you.

I wouldn't even think of stage 1 on the mk7 to be simple haha, its quite a big change compared to stage 1 on a mk5/mk6 - due to that larger turbo, stage 1 on mk7 should give 280hp easy, which is a huge jump from stock (almost 30% extra power)

correction: unitronic stage1 claimed is 297hp - 38% extra power over stock (man wish I had a mk7 now). just make sure you tune the DSG as well, its well worth it

McDoof

Simple for those that know how....
Sadly, that's not me.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

Quote from: Filx on August 24, 2017, 02:03:19 PM
So there's plenty of Mk7 GTIs running around with upgraded turbos?

That I have built yes.

I know of a few big turbo and hybrid turbo mk7's as well.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning