Disconnect battery for a while car runs great then eventually loses performance

Started by A_Silver_Golf, August 20, 2017, 07:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Silver_Golf

Hi,

New to the forums and just bought a mark five golf GTI with a three year warranty.
It has an AXX engine.

Have an intermittent issue with the car when coming to a rolling stop and slowing down to drive around corners.
For example coming up to a give way sign, and is in low revs in second gear.
I go to press the accelerator and it will kind of bog down and make a knocking sound before kicking in as if it is not getting enough fuel.
It throw you back in your seat if not careful.

Repaired a hidden dent which the car dealer refused to deal with after telling me he would sort it out.
Had to disconnect the battery while pulling out the dent.

After reconnecting the battery it must have reset something.
Panel beater mentioned the car doing some kind of tests.
After this the car was going great.

But now it seems to be going back to how it was.

I took the intake off today after searching the internet for potential issues.

Found the brake booster vacuum pipe hose has a crack in it.
Not sure if this would lead to my symptoms.

Checked the PCV Valve which seems to be the original and it appears to be fine with online suggested tests.

Haven't checked the cam follower which I will booking the car in today for.
I did tell the car dealer to check the cam follower for me, he seemed agitated when I told him to.
Like it was a hassle then said to me I had never heard of such a thing.
This was shortly after I signed the papers for the car.

The Red Warrior

Where in the country are you? Have you had it scanned to see if there are any fault codes?
If the dealer says they have replaced the cam follower after it's been booked in ask to have the original back to be sure.

Gotta do mine again in a couple days.

slowmo

I remember the local VW dealer in Wely giving me weird looks when i asked them to change my cam follower - even though i was willing to pay.  ::)
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

A_Silver_Golf

Hi guys thanks for responding.

I live in New Zealand, North Island.

Went to the place which did my wheel alignment yesterday morning and asked a guy to get the cam follower checked.
I met up with an old mechanic which I had never talked to.

The guy didn't know what a cam follower was.
This is not the car dealership which also didn't know what a cam follower was.
The guy proceeds to ask me whats wrong with the car.
I tell him then he says where did you get this idea it is the cam follower, it could be just spark plugs?

Then he asks me.
When you go to the doctors do you tell them what to do?

I then proceeded to tell him I just want the cam follower checked not replaced.
Still he was fixed on the assumption that I wanted the cam follower replaced when I just wanted it checked and was willing to pay.

He then tells me to go back to the dealership, then tells me the dealership I bought the car from charges unreasonable amounts for a service.
Apparently this is so people go somewhere else and void their warranty with the dealership.
So I go back to the dealership schedule a service and the price was quoted as less than half of what the mechanic told me.

Pulse performance who deals mainly with rotarys is the only one so far who has offered but still doesn't know what a cam follower is but at least it's understandable that they don't know.

Might just get the service done and see if they dealership notices anything.

Worms

If they cam follower is being checked, have a replacement on hand anyway - I'd just fit one, then keep a spare, so each time it's checked, it can be replaced if needed.

You'll need to say it's the High Pressure Fuel Pump cam follower.

McDoof

Is the engine bogging down or is the DSG getting stuck in the wrong gear then kicks down unexpectedly?
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

A_Silver_Golf

Quote from: McDoof on August 22, 2017, 08:53:31 AM
Is the engine bogging down or is the DSG getting stuck in the wrong gear then kicks down unexpectedly?

Not sure if it is one or the other.
Seems like both.

When it does happen, I will be coming up to an intersection corner, I will be at low RPMs, in second gear.
I put my foot on the accelerator and it will knock a little with slow acceleration before suddenly shooting off.
The display says it is in second gear when it is doing all this.
Not sure if it is actually in third.

Maybe get it checked by an indy (Brodie European, Hennie (user name: GLIDN, Qualitat etc) - they're all in Auckland though, but pretty much everyone here can vouch for either garage.