Long term storage options \ ideas

Started by weta.worker, August 21, 2017, 08:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weta.worker

Hiya, I'm seriously toying with the idea of putting the RS2 into long term storage and wondered if anyone had any experience with this.

A few reasons. 
- I don't get to drive it that much any more.
- I've poured a heap of money into it so don't want to let it go
- I love it \ don't want to let it go (it's a rare \ freak example of a fairly rare car)
- I only have a single garage and the RS4 should be making a return shortly (fingers crossed).

There are a few places in Wellington but they all require enquiry vs prices on site so I'll start with that.

Have to consider storage costs and of course it sitting there (dusting it off in 'x' years and it just sitting there will no doubt take it's toll)

Another option is to move out to the country and make sure it has a large barn that I can store it away in!

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

RobClubley

Talk to John Galvin. The Surgery do car storage.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

weta.worker

Quote from: RobClubley on August 21, 2017, 09:14:19 PM

Really?  Ha!  I'll hit him up.

:D
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

Worms

Quote from: weta.worker on August 21, 2017, 08:54:03 PM
Another option is to move out to the country and make sure it has a large barn that I can store it away in!

This - make it a big barn, and get more cars to make the barn feel worthwhile!

McDoof

Quote from: RobClubley on August 21, 2017, 09:14:19 PM

Yikes. Not particularly cheap though. But I guess you can be sure they're going to look after it.
http://thesurgery.co.nz/vehicle-storage-solutions/
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RS ZWEI

Quote from: weta.worker on August 21, 2017, 08:54:03 PM
Hiya, I'm seriously toying with the idea of putting the RS2 into long term storage and wondered if anyone had any experience with this.

A few reasons. 
- I don't get to drive it that much any more.
- I've poured a heap of money into it so don't want to let it go
- I love it \ don't want to let it go (it's a rare \ freak example of a fairly rare car)
- I only have a single garage and the RS4 should be making a return shortly (fingers crossed).

There are a few places in Wellington but they all require enquiry vs prices on site so I'll start with that.

Have to consider storage costs and of course it sitting there (dusting it off in 'x' years and it just sitting there will no doubt take it's toll)

Ive often thought that a lot of sheds are sitting empty in communities. Is there a dear old lady in your hood who doesn't use her garage and could do with a little money every month?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

robh

Or sell it to me and I'll take awesome care of it for you😊
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

schattenblau

Quote from: RS ZWEI on August 22, 2017, 10:17:06 AM
Is there a dear old lady in your hood who doesn't use her garage and could do with a little money every month?

watch out for those "dear old ladies"  - they are the ones who fang it when no one is looking ...

;D

le mans

Good plan, John. One day that car could be worth serious money. It might be already of course, but you have to sell it to find out.

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

weta.worker

Quote from: RS ZWEI on August 22, 2017, 10:17:06 AM
Ive often thought that a lot of sheds are sitting empty in communities. Is there a dear old lady in your hood who doesn't use her garage and could do with a little money every month?

Maybe further out (Wellington and spare garages aren't really a thing!).

My uncle has a large barn and Slowburn and I have a friend in common with a 100sqm garage...  I'm sure he'll love another Audi at his place.  :P
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

slowburn

hahahahahaha,he just got rid of me.....but yes,gunnys? his place would be ideal,i'll help you guys rearrange his shed to fit her in.......
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

weta.worker

Quote from: slowburn on August 22, 2017, 04:39:56 PM
hahahahahaha,he just got rid of me.....but yes,gunnys? his place would be ideal,i'll help you guys rearrange his shed to fit her in.......

hmmm, maybe I could buy \ build a shed to have on his land...   then it wouldn't be an eye sore and still cheaper than long terming elsewhere!
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

slowburn

go ya halves? hahahaha,i need somewhere bad....all my records,PA system and 5 cars....kinda been toying with buying a warehouse in wainui......
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

weta.worker

Quote from: slowburn on August 22, 2017, 04:54:16 PM
go ya halves? hahahaha,i need somewhere bad....all my records,PA system and 5 cars....kinda been toying with buying a warehouse in wainui......

We should talk....See ya at work!
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

Bullseye

Just watch for any condensation in warehouses or old garages when the outside air temp drops below the dewpoint. You will need to have air flow for proper drying to get rid of any inside moisture.

I think there is some powered air flowed covers that can manage this.
B8 A4 Avant - soon to be eating Chips

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Audidude

This is what you need, but be warned, you WILL fill it up with more cars and STILL be short of space...

'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Gordo

Quote from: schattenblau on August 22, 2017, 12:43:40 PM
watch out for those "dear old ladies"  - they are the ones who fang it when no one is looking ...

;D

Only the little old ladies from Pasadena...
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)