What aftermarket head units have you installed in 2006 VWs?

Started by Steampunkwilly, August 14, 2017, 10:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steampunkwilly

Had a couple of no name Chinese units give me issues. Current one doesn't want to boot naviextras nicely or keep time properly. Also cant find setting to keep music playing when using navi.

Is there a well known reliable head unit that most vw owners install?

McDoof

Running a 9" full touch screen Joying unit that I'm pretty happy with. Runs Android. Instant boot.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Automotive-Multimedia-Player-For-VW-Android-5-1-1-Intel-SoFIA-3GR-Quad-Core-Car/32749464936.html
If you go android, make sure you get one with 2GB of memory. Anything with 1GB will be slow.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Steampunkwilly

That looks like a good unit. Seems very little discussion on this topic worldwide generally. Did you install a reversing camera? I had to get the Passat decoded to stop searching for the original stereo.

McDoof

This particular one needs steering wheel controls otherwise you changing volume becomes a bit of a pain. There are other options with the same internals that have an 8" screen and retain some buttons.
I have a camera installed yes. Works pretty well. I just wish I could get a decent HD camera. All of the cameras I can find are pretty low res, even if they say they are HD, they are far from it.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

McDoof

It says that the radio gateway is not reachable. But that is the only place it shows. So not really something I am bothered with.
I should note that you may need to update your canbus unit. The Canbus interface on these is based on a later version that what I had and it ends up draining the battery, much in the same way that a radio out of a MK6 golf would drain the battery on an older MK5 like mine. Once the canbus was switched over, it also fixed a few other things like activating the reverse camera when putting the car in reverse.

Cost was $140

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red