Author Topic: Beware of imported Discover Pro systems and their software version  (Read 647 times)

Offline benpaul12

This is for reference for anyone in NZ that may have this issue as imported GTIs will start entering the market...

Took ownership of a 2014 Jap import GTI last week and there have been a few issues with the Discover Pro (larger 8 inch) infotainment system whereby it freezes and doesn't offer full functionality (in particular gets stuck in sport/eco/normal modes). Having a good look on international MK7 forums it was a major issue around 2013 to 2015 with these units where no matter how many updates were applied the units kept freezing, placing them in odd GPS locations, turning off randomly and so on. With the subsequent updates since 2016, it seems that VW have managed to fix the issue.

Anyone looking at buying an imported unit should check the software version and make sure it is up to date before purchasing because the glitches are so bad that it freezes almost every 15 minutes!

My one is going to the dealer tomorrow to receive the update. I'm lucky because I noticed a few issues before purchase and called out the fact it isn't working properly they're more obliged to fix it (other than just good customer service). It would be easy for dealers to not offer fixes for it because they can claim it's an import (like radio frequency, GPS maps etc.).

Will keep this thread updated. Infotainment aside, this GTI rocks  ;D

Offline benpaul12

Re: Beware of imported Discover Pro systems and their software version
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:12:41 pm »
System has been updated by the dealer (behind the scenes it was actually AutoGravity) and is working well now. Mode function works fully (editable modes) and no more freezing.

Impressed also as they installed navigation and now daytime running light setting has appeared in the menu!

Offline GLIDN

• ##
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 03:43:04 pm »
Other bigger issue everyone should be aware of?

Is that fact these all have CP (component Protection) now.
As soon as it's connected to a car, it's locked to that vehicles VIN unless removed prior.

Busy trying to help a mk7.5R customer with this very issue.
Top Secret Project
MK3 GTI 16v Tornado Red - under the knife soon
Mk3 12v VR6 Variant
MK4 R32 | NZ New | 3dr | Tuned by HSP Tuning | For sale
MK5 GTI DSG - Unitronic Stage 2HPFP | Stage 1 DSG | Unitronic Intake |Powervalve 3" Exhaust | Tuned by HSP Tuning | Non-OEM Stereo
Audi S4 2.7TT

Offline benpaul12

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:37:49 pm »
Not too sure. According to the dealer the system had attempted to have been upgraded to the European system from Japanese and that might been causing issues. They've managed to rewrite the correct software or something.

Not sure of anything else.

Offline Max Power

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 07:34:08 am »
Autogravity also did our system, prior to them converting the navigation we also started to have the screen lock up a little bit, what is interesting is that a lot of forums mentioned it was worse in colder weather.

Since the up upgrade we've not had any issues. I used the OBDEleven before we had the unit upgraded to turn on the DRL and also convert the DVD player to be zoned for NZ. There are a couple of error codes picked up by the ODBEleven now for the entertainment unit but I'm assuming this is due to the changes made by Autogravity. Everything else still works as per usual, TPMS, Radio, Aircon, trip computer etc.

The only issue we have is that at times we seem to get some static type crackle through the sound system, like it's getting interference from something else.

Offline nordschleife

• #
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:46:59 pm »
The only issue we have is that at times we seem to get some static type crackle through the sound system, like it's getting interference from something else.

I've also noticed this on our recently purchased 2014 Octavia RS.  Would love to know what it is.
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Town Car