Beware of imported Discover Pro systems and their software version

Started by benpaul12, August 29, 2017, 02:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benpaul12

This is for reference for anyone in NZ that may have this issue as imported GTIs will start entering the market...

Took ownership of a 2014 Jap import GTI last week and there have been a few issues with the Discover Pro (larger 8 inch) infotainment system whereby it freezes and doesn't offer full functionality (in particular gets stuck in sport/eco/normal modes). Having a good look on international MK7 forums it was a major issue around 2013 to 2015 with these units where no matter how many updates were applied the units kept freezing, placing them in odd GPS locations, turning off randomly and so on. With the subsequent updates since 2016, it seems that VW have managed to fix the issue.

Anyone looking at buying an imported unit should check the software version and make sure it is up to date before purchasing because the glitches are so bad that it freezes almost every 15 minutes!

My one is going to the dealer tomorrow to receive the update. I'm lucky because I noticed a few issues before purchase and called out the fact it isn't working properly they're more obliged to fix it (other than just good customer service). It would be easy for dealers to not offer fixes for it because they can claim it's an import (like radio frequency, GPS maps etc.).

Will keep this thread updated. Infotainment aside, this GTI rocks  ;D

benpaul12

System has been updated by the dealer (behind the scenes it was actually AutoGravity) and is working well now. Mode function works fully (editable modes) and no more freezing.

Impressed also as they installed navigation and now daytime running light setting has appeared in the menu!

GLIDN

Other bigger issue everyone should be aware of?

Is that fact these all have CP (component Protection) now.
As soon as it's connected to a car, it's locked to that vehicles VIN unless removed prior.

Busy trying to help a mk7.5R customer with this very issue.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

benpaul12

Not too sure. According to the dealer the system had attempted to have been upgraded to the European system from Japanese and that might been causing issues. They've managed to rewrite the correct software or something.

Not sure of anything else.

Max Power

Autogravity also did our system, prior to them converting the navigation we also started to have the screen lock up a little bit, what is interesting is that a lot of forums mentioned it was worse in colder weather.

Since the up upgrade we've not had any issues. I used the OBDEleven before we had the unit upgraded to turn on the DRL and also convert the DVD player to be zoned for NZ. There are a couple of error codes picked up by the ODBEleven now for the entertainment unit but I'm assuming this is due to the changes made by Autogravity. Everything else still works as per usual, TPMS, Radio, Aircon, trip computer etc.

The only issue we have is that at times we seem to get some static type crackle through the sound system, like it's getting interference from something else.

nordschleife

Quote from: Max Power on September 10, 2017, 07:34:08 AM
The only issue we have is that at times we seem to get some static type crackle through the sound system, like it's getting interference from something else.

I've also noticed this on our recently purchased 2014 Octavia RS.  Would love to know what it is.
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

Lino_GTi

Guys i know this topic is fairly old... but i too have a Jap Import and the Radio seems to be a GEN1 as it has the smaller screen... but its all the lower FQ for Japan..
is there maybe a Firmware update i could do via SD/USB to upgrade and or change region ? i see AutoGravity does it but $600 is a bit steep ? and i think they would do it the same way by uploading SW to through SD/USB.

System Info:
Device part number 5G0035832
Hardware 040
Software 0816
Media Codec:
N/A

Then in the so called secret menu:

Software: 13.16.17.H15.10.133_STDPlus_JP

thanks any advice or assistance would be great.

Lino_GTi

Quote from: Lino_GTi on June 08, 2018, 08:55:50 AM
Guys i know this topic is fairly old... but i too have a Jap Import and the Radio seems to be a GEN1 as it has the smaller screen... but its all the lower FQ for Japan..
is there maybe a Firmware update i could do via SD/USB to upgrade and or change region ? i see AutoGravity does it but $600 is a bit steep ? and i think they would do it the same way by uploading SW to through SD/USB.

System Info:
Device part number 5G0035832
Hardware 040
Software 0816
Media Codec:
N/A

Then in the so called secret menu:

Software: 13.16.17.H15.10.133_STDPlus_JP

thanks any advice or assistance would be great.

So just an update for anyone else that is looking for a quick fix.... so i borrowed a mates Rosstech Cable and with VCDS i have changed the region code and what do you know.. i have full FM ;-) so no need for any update and or $600 to change from "Jap" to "Euro"  ;D

0x52

Do you remember which options you changed in VCDS? I'm looking at doing the same with my GTI.

Edit:
For future reference it is under [5F] - Information Electronics > Long Coding > Byte 9

Lino_GTi

Quote from: 0x52 on July 23, 2018, 08:22:45 PM
Do you remember which options you changed in VCDS? I'm looking at doing the same with my GTI.

Edit:
For future reference it is under [5F] - Information Electronics > Long Coding > Byte 9

sorry i didnt reply sooner... and i see you found it sweet ;-)

BUDIT

Hi

Question for the guys with the Jap imports has anyone successfully updated the NAV by themselves? I would of though this could be done easily through Map Updates via SD? Also glad I found this Post as I was going to Pay for the FM frequency change but looks straight forward with VAGCOM. Also is it easy to get the Discover Pro into English on a Japanese Import. I am looking at a MK7 Golf R 2015 with MIB1 so want to save on any money I don't need to spend....

Cheers

0x52

Can't say I've managed to change the nav to NZ. I made an update SD card with the VW DiscoverCare app but my Discover Pro complains about a mismatch between RoW and JP versions and refuses to update.

Changing language can be done through the settings menu on the Discover Pro.

BUDIT

I was thinking of doing the same with the NAV update as i have done this fine on my Wife's Tiguan that has MIB 2. Would of thought there was a way of changing it to ROW either though VAGCOM or maybe update firmware. Obviously someone has worked it out as you can get it done I just don't want to pay the 1K + to get it done. I have been hunting for firmware updates but havn't found anything. Possibly a dealer could do it but seems that don't want to touch anything like this been a JDM car?

80 Vert

How does one turn off or remove component protection before the nav unit is removed from the donor vehicle?
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

BUDIT

You cant remove CP easily. If you take a unit from say a NZ car and put it into a JDM then the CP will need to be removed by a dealer. From there there is some more coding that needs to be done to get all the features back, this has to be done on top of CP removal otherwise NAV etc will not work. I am not sure you will find a VW dealer with the knowledge to do all of this. I was in gazleys in Wgtn and they had a JDM golf that had been converted and they where not the ones that did it. I suspect it was done by the guys at Euro Surgeons or the like that have the knowledge.

Beaumont

FWIW the MK7s dont need hardware swapped, its all in the coding on these and firmware flashing.
Price for converting should be a lot cheaper than a grand since that used to be the price that incl new hardware (usually ex euro market)
Now its only flashing firmware and some tweaks so should be a lot cheaper!

Beaumont

Quote from: BUDIT on October 11, 2018, 04:48:55 PM
Hi

Question for the guys with the Jap imports has anyone successfully updated the NAV by themselves? I would of though this could be done easily through Map Updates via SD? Also glad I found this Post as I was going to Pay for the FM frequency change but looks straight forward with VAGCOM. Also is it easy to get the Discover Pro into English on a Japanese Import. I am looking at a MK7 Golf R 2015 with MIB1 so want to save on any money I don't need to spend....

Cheers

Trouble is the guys who do know how to do it, wont tell sadly.

Alittletuningco

Currently MIB conversions are available to be done - but they have to be accessed remotely by the team that do them - who are not based in NZ.

Most dealers will no help on CP removal or conversion - you have to use someone specific to do it for you.

Eurosurgeon in Auckland or Alittletuning on the South Island are two companies that do nav conversions.

warpigroadkill

I live in the UK and I?ve got a Japanese MIB1 in my golf mk7 r. I?ve changed the FM frequency over to UK and Navigation to be Europe, but it?s not liking my EU maps as it says Europe  ant be used as region is japan. Did you manage to get your navigation working?