Mag clean repair ....

Started by Pushbutton_auto, August 30, 2017, 04:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushbutton_auto

Front left tire popped, so i now have the opp to clean it up, kerbed, dirty, brake fluid spill with a coat on top ? .

Is it worth taking it to a shop to clean up or shall I set to with wire brush, soap toothbrush etc ....   :-X

Photos to come, (not pretty), after the party tonight ..  >:D

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

robh

I've used Wheelfixit a few times, always done a good job
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

Pushbutton_auto

Okay gonna, clean it up myself and then see how bad the kerbing and marking is ..  ::)

Ya think the the mags look dirty on, huh, way more brake dust and crap inside !

I am thinking let it soak in some cleaning product and then scrub it clean ?

Anything (products etc) to avoid ?

heylinb4nz

Kerbing easily fixed by using Rimblades. $60nz shipped for a full set.

Audidude

Quote from: heylinb4nz on September 01, 2017, 10:08:53 PM
Kerbing easily fixed by using Rimblades. $60nz shipped for a full set.
Not a repair, but possible solution. Are they obvious in place? Do they say "driver can't park"? That applies to me, I've kerbed on more than one occasion, usually while distracted...
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Pushbutton_auto

was d Missus, but partly mine for parking to close to footpath.

Heard it from the house as she did it about 3 yards along the kerb ...  :-\

She just said, oh yeah i heard something ..............................

but yeah gonna clean it up and see how bad it is then decide.

Pushbutton_auto

Just watched wheeler dealers, they had a BMW M3, called a guy up he came around in a van ...

broke the bead on the tire, masked the tire, then grinded, sanded, primed, painted and lacquered the mag !

look pretty basic    ???

McDoof

I did a full refurb on the the wheels on my old legacy. I had the tyres off for the job though. If you have a way to break the tyre back from the rim that should still do fine though.
The only thing I would recommend is a 2 pack clearcoat so that it hardens properly. I had wheel paint made up and still found that the clear was a bit softer than the original. It made the wheels a bit harder to clean.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Pushbutton_auto

Yeah tire is off, got my mechanic to do it same time as the toycar tire swap.

Two popped tires in a week on 2 diff cars ..  :laugh:  bloody westies driving around on worn tires .....

Bit different in price tho, Toyota tire cheapo 90 bux, S8 cheapo 300 !!!!, S8 Michies, etc ...  600 !!!

Same old story, car cost ****, car maintenance, quarter of car cost a YEAR ....  :laugh:

McDoof

Well worth the effort if you can colour match the wheel. Otherwise you have to do all 4
Went from this

To this

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Pushbutton_auto

::)

Pushbutton_auto

:-\

Pushbutton_auto

Some of it is obviously older, but not looking good ...

Cleaning it has proved fairly easy, just soap and water and d missus's dish washing scrubber ...  ;)

Gonna need some work on the spill, but have seen quite a range of cleaners on google, so should get it cleaned up.

But wow, that scraping may need special attention ...  :-X

McDoof

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/auction-1441269809.htm

maybe time to get some fresher wheels. Those edges would have to be ground down to get them looking good again.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Pushbutton_auto

Already look ground down ...  :laugh:

Those ones on TM r ugly, but thanks for the thought.  ;)

dummer

Have you thought of plastic dip?

I go to arrow wheel for bent wheel repair.....wheelfixit only like painting job

Brett

Quote from: dummer on October 18, 2017, 05:56:03 PM
Have you thought of plastic dip?

I go to arrow wheel for bent wheel repair.....wheelfixit only like painting job

Have used wheelfixit for a heap of bent wheels and repairs not involving painting.....
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

alanthomas007

Hi all.  I am the owner of the Wheel Magician.  We are experts at repairing damage just like in the photos and we are mobile too!!

Poonmobile

Personally speaking if you have the time and a spare set of wheels, i'd strip them, take them to an engineer to spin up and machine the grinding. From there get it powder coated or painted depending on your preference. I have seen jobs done by 'mobile guys' and have nothing against any of them, but they don't last- great if you want to get the car presentable for cheap and sell on. If you plan to hang on to the car, spend the extra bit of money and time.
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

McDoof

Quote from: Poonmobile on July 25, 2018, 09:51:17 PM
Personally speaking if you have the time and a spare set of wheels, i'd strip them, take them to an engineer to spin up and machine the grinding. From there get it powder coated or painted depending on your preference. I have seen jobs done by 'mobile guys' and have nothing against any of them, but they don't last- great if you want to get the car presentable for cheap and sell on. If you plan to hang on to the car, spend the extra bit of money and time.

Worth it, if you have a set of BBS or something worth a few $$$ I guess. Half the time you can almost replace the wheels with something half decent for the same price. If they're nothing special of course.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red