First time VW owner, 2012 GTi 35

Started by Chchgti35, September 09, 2017, 06:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chchgti35

Hi to all, just signed on the dotted for a very nice NZ new GTi 35 edition in Red. Pics will follow when I work out how to do this from iPad. A few nice to haves would be gps, reverse camera. Dealer tells me the reverse cam is easy as head unit will accept video in. Is GPS doable via head unit? Also can I get the definite answer for belt or chain driven cams on CLD code engine?
Thanks, pick up the new toy (wife's new toy) on Wednesday.

schattenblau

congrats !

that car's been on the market for a quite a while, good to see it go to a vasker

;)

unlike the regular mk6 gti, the edition 35 (and the mk6 r) used a tuned version of the old ea113 motor with cambelt.

Chchgti35

Thanks, sales person said they struggled to move it due to the colour, I personally can't think of a better colour for a GTi, looking forward to really driving it next week. Now my wife is seeing 2016 308's and Renaults for the same price and wondering if we spent too much, 100% certain we bought the right car.

JaseNZ

Welcome, I see you are in CHCH if you need any help with anything give me a yell, I am not an expert but have learned a few things. I also have vagcom so if you need any coding done more than happy to help.
GPS is going to be dependent on the head unit you currently have.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

Chchgti35

Quote from: jasegti on September 10, 2017, 07:43:35 AM
Welcome, I see you are in CHCH if you need any help with anything give me a yell, I am not an expert but have learned a few things. I also have vagcom so if you need any coding done more than happy to help.
GPS is going to be dependent on the head unit you currently have.
Hey thanks that's very kind of you, its the RCD510 ,

JaseNZ

Unfortunately the RCD510 does not have GPS but not sure about Bluetooth.

You can upgrade to the RNS510 which gives you GPS  and is an easy install but you need to find one. You can go the Chinese brand route which will give you all the options you want which is fine but for me I just prefer OEM.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

Chchgti35

Quote from: jasegti on September 10, 2017, 04:48:30 PM
Unfortunately the RCD510 does not have GPS but not sure about Bluetooth.

You can upgrade to the RNS510 which gives you GPS  and is an easy install but you need to find one. You can go the Chinese brand route which will give you all the options you want which is fine but for me I just prefer OEM.
Thanks yes have seen some RNS 510 Chinese versions on EBay pretty well priced but also prefer the OEM option which are more than twice the cost for good reason. Yes this unit has Bluetooth, OEM are mainly out of UK or Euro I think. Just looks tidier than an off the shelf Garmin etc

thomas.dq

I've been through a couple of stereos in my 2010 GTI.

First was the original RCD310. It was okay, but I wanted something better. 

Next came an RCD510. I also upgraded my Bluetooth module at the same time, from an aftermarket junky thing to a genuine 9W7 unit which supported audio streaming.

The RCD510 and 9W7 module were both great... Until I found RCD330 units for sale on AliExpress. These units supported Apple CarPlay.

I ordered one, it arrived in about a week, then installed it. All up the install took about 15 minutes (most of that time was removing the unnecessary cabling and trying to avoid breaking the clips of the stereo frame).

The awesome thing with the RCD330 is that it requires no external Bluetooth module! Literally plug it in and it just works.

Here's a quick snap I took after install:
https://imgur.com/a/izKwd
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI

benpaul12

^ looks great. How does it work in with the car's settings?

slowmo

Can vouch that it looks very OEM, as far as i know it works with the optical parking sensors, steering wheel controls and climatronic as well.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

thomas.dq

Quote from: benpaul12 on September 13, 2017, 09:32:33 PM
^ looks great. How does it work in with the car's settings?

Yup works perfect!

Steering wheel controls, optical parking sensors, telephone, and bluetooth audio streaming all work fine.

Depending on your car, you may need to enable some features on the CAN-bus (such as telephone if the car has not had bluetooth before). This is a pretty easy job with VCDS. 
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI

thomas.dq

Quote from: slowmo on September 13, 2017, 10:10:21 PM
Can vouch that it looks very OEM, as far as i know it works with the optical parking sensors, steering wheel controls and climatronic as well.

Yup it fits in perfectly. The software looks like it is out of a MK7.

Actually that's a good point! I don't think the stereo displays the climatronic settings. It does have the outside temperature... but I don't remember it flashing up with the settings when the A/C is adjusted.
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI