Reverse camera install (number plate light location)

Started by Chchgti35, September 17, 2017, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chchgti35

Has anyone had a camera installed in this location? Dealer has offered this option over the boot hatch Handle factory method and I was hoping someone could offer advice please? Quoted $800 inclusive (franchise dealer) I am not hung up over the non factory location but just want to know if it is effective? If any other options in ChCh please sing out, thanks.

McDoof

The location works fine. I did this on my old legacy. Just check that he's putting a decent quality camera in.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

My GTI has a reversing camera (which i forget to use anyway lol) in the exact same location, it was installed by the dealer (non vw dealer) that I bought the car from, it cost $300 including parts and labour and works well (decent quality and has marker lines on the screen to judge distance)

The only issue with that location is that you cannot see the body of the car, which can make it more difficult to judge the distance between the bumper and an object, if it was installed under the badge you would still see the bumper in the image - but this is a general issue with reversing cameras - for their purpose, they work better when they are installed higher up rather than low down (because you can better judge the distance when you can see the body as a reference point and also higher up means a wider angle of view, i.e. the blindspots are smaller) either way you can't just use a reversing camera when reversing you still have to at least check your mirrors as the camera's have big blindspots and you can miss objects above the camera and on the side of the vehicle

McDoof

You could get a flip badge camera off Aliexpress. About $180 delivered. Then you just someone to install it. They cost a bit more of your radio is a genuine vw one because of the different connectors.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red