Under seat amplifier

Started by The Red Warrior, September 05, 2017, 07:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Warrior

Anyone have any specific recommendations on an amplifier that fits under the front seat of a Mk5 GTI, bearing in mind it has the under seat drawers which make the space smaller.
I'm somewhat of a newby to car audio but I'm after something to power the front door speakers only which hopefully will be some Focals. Specifically these: FOCAL PS 165 F3 EXPERT 3-WAY SPEAKERS.
Haven't got the speakers yet as still trying to find out who can get them and for how much.

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

I have done many bud. Have a look I posted all about the installs on here.

There are much better speakers available locally. Unless you like the metal dome tweeter type of sound?

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

The Red Warrior

I've taken on board the suggestions of you both. Thanks Nick for the link, but I'm now thinking the amp may have to go somewhere else as I've ordered these:

https://www.morelhifi.com/product/virtus-2-way-3-way/

in the 3 way version and I suspect I won't be able to fit the crossovers in the doors so they may have to go under the seats.

So now I'm thinking about the new Morel amps even though I can't really afford one.

I've been sifting through your audio posts Hennie on about 4 different forums but it's a slow process as you have posted so much over the years. Not to mention that there are no longer photos thanks to Photobucket.

McDoof

There should be space in the doors for the crossovers. The stock Philips crossovers are pretty big, so once you have removed those, you should be able to mount these in the same place.
That said, if you are running those speakers, you may want to look at not running a Class D amplifier. Maybe get something a bit bigger and mount it to the back of the rear bench.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

Quote from: The Red Warrior on September 11, 2017, 09:47:38 AM
I've taken on board the suggestions of you both. Thanks Nick for the link, but I'm now thinking the amp may have to go somewhere else as I've ordered these:

https://www.morelhifi.com/product/virtus-2-way-3-way/

in the 3 way version and I suspect I won't be able to fit the crossovers in the doors so they may have to go under the seats.

So now I'm thinking about the new Morel amps even though I can't really afford one.

I've been sifting through your audio posts Hennie on about 4 different forums but it's a slow process as you have posted so much over the years. Not to mention that there are no longer photos thanks to Photobucket.

The morel range can be purchased locally, if need be? I can help you with that one as well.

The new Morel amplifiers are providing some amazing sound quality + detail now. While being a smaller than normal chassis and having a Class A circuitry.

The Red Warrior

I know the Morel amp is the one that I really want. Guess I'll have to do some (more) overtime.
I can't bolt it to the back of the seat as too often I have the seats folded down to fit something in and sometimes have a kids bike in the boot. I'll find somewhere for it even if it's bolted to the outside of the roof.

schattenblau

didn't know morel were big into ice.

i have their high-end drivers in my home speakers and they are superb.

;)

GLIDN

Quote from: The Red Warrior on September 11, 2017, 03:00:55 PM
I know the Morel amp is the one that I really want. Guess I'll have to do some (more) overtime.
I can't bolt it to the back of the seat as too often I have the seats folded down to fit something in and sometimes have a kids bike in the boot. I'll find somewhere for it even if it's bolted to the outside of the roof.

worse case?
If you want? I can build you a drop in panel inside the spare wheel. to hold the amplifier for you. Then simply bolt the tools around that?
But seeing what you have built in your time? I'm sure you are actually more than capable of doing to yourself.

GLIDN

Quote from: schattenblau on September 11, 2017, 04:58:56 PM
didn't know morel were big into ice.

i have their high-end drivers in my home speakers and they are superb.

;)

Yeah man,
All my cars that still have stereo's in them, all have morel speakers.
They are simply put. AWESOME
Even their entry level are really, really good.

The Red Warrior

Quote from: GLIDN on September 11, 2017, 05:01:42 PM
worse case?
If you want? I can build you a drop in panel inside the spare wheel. to hold the amplifier for you. Then simply bolt the tools around that?
But seeing what you have built in your time? I'm sure you are actually more than capable of doing to yourself.

Yeah, starting to think I'll be machining something out of a billet of aluminium at this rate. It would look cool and could also act as a heat sink too 😀