VAGCOM noob questions - please help :)

Started by coons, September 24, 2017, 05:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coons

Vag com - noob questions, please help

So I am looking to buy a vag com/VCDS cable as I borrow them enough to warrant just having one. I have a few questions, please help :)

- What's the difference between Hex-can and Hex-II? Hex-II seems to be the latest model?
- The Hex-II is $299 on Rosstech, yet people are selling them for $300-800 on eBay, am I missing something here?
- There is a myriad of chinese vag-com cables on eBay. What's the go with these, do they have their own knock off software that goes with them? I assume they don't work with VCDS software, as I know the cable is the software unlocking key?

Any other comments welcome. I see the thread below is about VCDS vs a competitor which is an interesting read as well...

Thanks!

dummer

Hex-II @299 on Rosstech only gives you 10 Vin where old Hex can gives you unlimited VIN

Chinese mock off uses the cracked software means you cannot update in the future

byront8

Also be aware any car newer than 2010 you will have problems using a cracked Chinese cable.

My advice is to look for an older ver B. HEX-CAN cable, that still allows infinite VIN uses.

Worth every penny having one.

thomas.dq

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/shop/vagcom-rosstech-vcds

I purchased this and have used it a few times without issue.

The cable feels like it's been manufactured well and is of good quality.

I believe the VCDS software has been cracked, which means you have to use the provided version and not update to the latest.
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI