Brake Issue

Started by Preisig, September 28, 2017, 10:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preisig

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone has the answer here. I've recently finished rebuilding my 85 UR Coupe after a few years of rebuilding. I have one issue I could seem to sort. My brakes.

When I press on the brake pedal the brake goes down to the floor, it does brake however its right at the bottom of the pedal. I've bleed the system several times and there is no air in the system. If I pump the pedal it still doesn't come up, if it was air it would pump up.

My suspicion is that it is the hydraulic pressure accumulator has failed, has anyone one got any ideas what else it might be or a way to fix it

Thanks

John

85 URQ
GT40 Mk1
Lola T140 F5000

McDoof

This might be a stupid question, but did you also bench bleed the master cylinder?
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GlenT

Quote from: Preisig on September 28, 2017, 10:43:28 PM
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone has the answer here. I've recently finished rebuilding my 85 UR Coupe after a few years of rebuilding. I have one issue I could seem to sort. My brakes.

When I press on the brake pedal the brake goes down to the floor, it does brake however its right at the bottom of the pedal. I've bleed the system several times and there is no air in the system. If I pump the pedal it still doesn't come up, if it was air it would pump up.

My suspicion is that it is the hydraulic pressure accumulator has failed, has anyone one got any ideas what else it might be or a way to fix it

Thanks

John
Hi John,

Have you established if it is actually the accumulator?
Start the engine and let it run for a minute to allow sufficient hydraulic pressure to build.
Then, turn the engine off and count the number of presses you get before the pedal goes hard.
If it's less than 10 then the accumulator is on it's way out. 11-30 is considered normal.

Regards,   Glen