Engine Failure 2009 Model

Started by Emile, October 05, 2017, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emile

Hi Guys

I have a 2009 MK6 which has had a tensioner break causing the exhaust cam to jump three teeth and bend a few valves. Long story short, Engine needs to be replaced.
New engine going on is from a 43000kms 2011 model however the mileage on mine is around 76000kms. The new engine has had a new tensioner and timing chain fitted as part of the condition of the purchase of the engine. All up setting back close to $10k with labour, fluids, etc.
Given the car is in good nick, does this pose a significant problem regarding the value of the car should I want to sell it?

Also, Anything worth selling out of the engine aside from the cams just to help me recoup costs. I am really at a loss regarding keeping it given I now know the car inside out OR selling it and trying to get some money back seeing as it is owing me around $30k and have only had it since December last year (2016). Car is a daily driver that my wife uses for work as a pharmacy sales rep so its not hammered at all.

Any thoughts, jabs, or just poking fun would be welcomed without offense.

Cheers,
2009 MK6 Golf GTI DCC

Worms

Should have bought a Honda???  ;)

Unfortunately, it's a common thing on those motors. Is it a 1.4? TBH, I wouldn't touch one, unless I had a plan for the engine replacement when it is required. Tourans had a version of the same engine, and I'm waiting for them to show on Trademe with poked engined or DSG's, so I can buy one, throw it all away and fit a 1.6 MPI and manual box, or another 3.2 R32 engine and manual box (like my current Touran)  >:D

You might get a few hundred dollars of parts from the engine, but you'd have to wait and see what people wanted. Don't bet on recouping much from it. Someone may want the pistons, if it's a 1.4, because they've been known to demolish them too.

The value isn't affected by the repairs really - You can say it's had a newer engine, with new chains etc, which should help with the sale... but then you're also telling people about this common problem and then they might not want your car at all then - they may look for a more reliable model! It's a selling point that the chains aren't the original, but I don't know if the tensioner design has changed significantly enough to stop the issue in the future???

Selling it isn't going to get you any money back, because you need to spend it on something else anyway.

It's a shame, because they go very well... until they go bang  :(

Emile

Thanks. It?s a GTI with DCC and is DSG.  Sorry , forgot to mention that minor detail.
2009 MK6 Golf GTI DCC

dummer

Will changing the head only a bit cheaper? (I saw a invoice around 7k for bent valve replacement in dealer last time I went in for service)... but don't quote me on that :-X

schattenblau

commiserations    :(

is the car nz new ?

will dealer/vwnz help out ?

Worms

Quote from: Emile on October 06, 2017, 08:42:10 AM
Thanks. It?s a GTI with DCC and is DSG.  Sorry , forgot to mention that minor detail.

Hmmm... I thought they went "bang" a lot less. Still - probably not worth flicking afterwards.

slowmo

Just drive and enjoy i guess! With so many imports, the value of them has really dropped.

My GTI is a 2010 NZ new done almost 120km with regular servicing, biggest issue i?ve had was a rear main engine oil leak and a dud MAF, noth replaced free of charge byVW.  Just about to sign up for another 3 year warranty and service plan as selling it would not net me much and i don?t really like the mk7 GTI.

I read that putting lower fuel grade can often lead to this sort of problem.

Also being NZ new, what was the service history like?
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Emile

JAP import. Service history since 60k has been feasibly decent from a private place in Henderson.. Previous owner may have given it a hammering which you could not really pick up from service history. VW says nothing they could do even though they did the 75k service three weeks prior. Will avoid Tristram European in future given they quoted me $11k for a new engine from Singapore excluding labour because they could not source a second Hand engine locally. Another mechanic in the shore is looking after me now and his labour is $75 per hour plus gst. Looking around 12 - 20 hours end to end hence the cost.
2009 MK6 Golf GTI DCC

deedub

Sorry to hear about your engine. If it were me, I'd be using it as an excuse to spend the money (and then some) on forged internals and a turbo upgrade, with the engine you have.
That's assuming your pistons have sustained damage. If not, surely just a new head would be a lot cheaper than a whole new engine...

Quote from: slowmo on October 06, 2017, 12:45:38 PM
I read that putting lower fuel grade can often lead to this sort of problem.

Also being NZ new, what was the service history like?

Since it was a tensioner failure, I think fuel and service history won't be so relevant? Seems to be luck of the draw.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

DanZ

Is there a way to check if your tensioner has been upgraded? I'm worried now. Just had a little research, it is common problem.

slowmo

Contact 80 Vert - he may be able to source a used engine for you and also install it.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

thomas.dq

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI

80 Vert

Could have done that for a LOT less than 10k, I have a couple of those engines here.
It makes no difference if NZ new or Jap and has little to nothing to do with servicing, tensioner is a crap design and pretty much a crap shoot as to when it fails.
When you replace the tensioner you MUST also replace the chain.
There's an inspection plug in the chain cover which allows you to see what version is fitted.

Id be interested in whats left of the old motor, can always use parts.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration