Anyone tried DIY DSG Transmission Service?

Started by Jaycray NZ, October 10, 2017, 01:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaycray NZ

Just had a shop give me a quote for $580 which includes: New oil, new filter, and DSG adaption drive.

Nearly $600 just seems like a hell of an amount of money for this.

I do have a VCDS so I'm able to do my own adaption drive, but I'm yet to use it so don't know how hard it may be to do...

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated!

GLIDN

You can give Motor works group a call if you are in Auckland.
Just mention I recommended you to them. They will charge $400 for DSG service.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Jaycray NZ

Sorry I should've mentioned I'm in Christchurch.

Thanks though mate.

VW'n

That's steep I got quoted $350 here in Napier.
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

Naekyr

mhm I got quoted about the same thing for a DSG service which is why I did it myself and cut the price in half, as for adaptation - I had the battery out of the car for 12 hours during the service (i service other parts at the same time) and that seemed to reset the DSG settings

Jaycray NZ

Quote from: Naekyr on October 10, 2017, 05:32:41 PM
mhm I got quoted about the same thing for a DSG service which is why I did it myself and cut the price in half, as for adaptation - I had the battery out of the car for 12 hours during the service (i service other parts at the same time) and that seemed to reset the DSG settings

Naekyr- cutting the price in half sounds great to me, I have little experience tinkering with cars but am willing to try! How hard would it be for someone like me to do? Also, where did you buy the parts/oil required?

Cheers

Naekyr

I bought the filter and oil from the dealer, if you hit up qualitat or other 3rd party place that sells euro parts you can probably get the parts for even cheaper

As for the job, it was harder than the engine oil and filter change - to get to the filter I ended up removing the air intake filter box and it gets a little messy draining the oil underneath, there are several methods you can use, they mainly relate to how you figure out how much oil you need to put back in and also you can replace the oil from the top or the bottom - some use the little dipstick underneath the car where you drain the oil, some measure the temperature using a infared thermometer.

but what I did was get a jug with measurements and measure out to the exact milliliter how much oil came out, I then replaced that plus an extra 100ml for the filter, IIRC I think my GTI all up took 4.7 or 4.8L.
I replaced the oil from the top where the filter is, this the slowest method of replacing the oil, I think it took about 40 or 50 minutes to get the oil in

You can find some videos on youtube that document the servicing process pretty well and thats how I learnt, I watched several youtube videos until I got the process down 

Altom14

Quote from: VW'n on October 10, 2017, 05:10:49 PM
That's steep I got quoted $350 here in Napier.
Where from? The local dealer wanted 650-700 and hawkes bay transmission could do I t for 550

VW'n

Andrew Hollywood Motors
Was about a year ago.
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

nzgti8v

I did mine myself the other day using Fuchs Twin Clutch oil from BNT and got the filter from the Audi Dealer in town.
About as hard as a normal oil and filter change. Total Cost around $220 as i bought 2x 4L packs of the DSG oil (Will only need 1x next time) and i got the oil at trade price thanks to a mechanic friend

Feeding Cone

Going to give this a go this weekend.
Doesn't look too complicated.

Jaycray NZ

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

I just could not find the time to perform the DSG service so I ended up going with a local the guys that quoted me $580, but they actually did it all for $475 so I thought bugger it I?ll do that.

Thanks for all the input, always get knowledgeable answers on this forum.

Feeding Cone

This was pretty easy btw.
Worst part was getting the sump plug off - whoever tightened it up last time (in Japan) torqued it up way way tight - much higher than the 34foot pounds I saw quoted... I snapped a high tensile M10 bolt w/ 14MM hex head I was using to get it off (pro-tip don't buy cheap repco high tensile bolts). The top fill method does take it's time however...

Naekyr

Quote from: Feeding Cone on November 07, 2017, 03:12:58 PM
This was pretty easy btw.
Worst part was getting the sump plug off - whoever tightened it up last time (in Japan) torqued it up way way tight - much higher than the 34foot pounds I saw quoted... I snapped a high tensile M10 bolt w/ 14MM hex head I was using to get it off (pro-tip don't buy cheap repco high tensile bolts). The top fill method does take it's time however...

takes time, but its better than trying to pump up from the bottom, having some run out when you pull the pump out and then having to use a infared gun to measure the temp as a way to check if the fluid level is correct

Feeding Cone

Yep that's exactly what I did.
Took 5 liters.