Mk2 k-jett radiator upgrade

Started by scrubber dub, October 11, 2017, 06:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrubber dub

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded there mk2 radiator? bigger, better, larger? mine seems to run quite hot but that is not indicated from the thermostat as it doesn't work, runs sweet just seems hot after a run, any suggestions? cheers

albert7550

Try replacing the fan switch. For some reason they start kicking in later when they get old. This with a proper flush and water hose through made a big difference on mine.  Assuming your fan works.
2014 Audi S3
1992 VW Golf mk1 GTi Cabriolet
1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S

scrubber dub

Yeh mine seems to come on when I pull up somewhere after a drive so will try what you suggested! cheers

luigi

You could try a mk2/3 diesel radiator, or use dual fans from a passat on your current set up
If you have an A/C model you can use the fan wiring to make a manual fan switch to regulate heat - need temp gauge to work for this
1992 Golf MKII Diesel
1991 Golf MKII 2e/VR6

black16v

If the car is not modified then spend your money on getting it checked out and if there is a problem fix it. Don't waste your money trying to fix the symptom. Fix the cause. I'm sure the VW engineers got it right.
1988 MK II GTI 16V

SG

^^^ This.

When was the last time the coolant was flushed?

Don't want to spend money? What colour is the coolant? If it is brown, google it, flush it thoroughly, do it yourself it's not that hard.

If your car has the original hose clamps, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4525-Cable-Type-Flexible-Pliers/dp/B000F5JM0O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401498586&sr=8-2&keywords=hose+clamps+pliers

Should come in handy.

It's pretty important the thermostat works, or do you mean the gauge?