Engine not getting fuel

Started by mk2mitch, October 14, 2017, 01:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk2mitch

So I've been putting back together a mk2 that hasn't been on the road in many, many years. A couple of weeks ago I tried to start it for the first time and quickly worked out that its not getting fuel up to the engine bay. The lines that run into the metering head a dry. Car is a k-jet GTI.
So today I changed the fuel filter and tested both fuel pumps. It pumping fuel to the fuel filter but from what I can tell, no further.
Its almost like its priming but when the car starts turning over, its not pumping fuel.
What I'm worried about is that there was once a alarm in the car. It looks like the siren unit has been removed, but from what I can see everything else left in. There's a bunch of things spill spliced in down by the fuse box including what looks like some kind of cut off switch. Maybe it cuts fuel so the car wont start?
- Golf MK2 GTI
- Golf MK3 GLI
- Golf MK2 CL

vdubdave

When it's not getting fuel are you getting volts at the fuel pump?

Sounds like they've put the immobiliser relay into the wire that feeds from the coil/distributor to the fuel pump relay.

If this is true then often the rev counter doesn't show anything as you crank the car over (needle never moves).

Apologies can't remember the wire colour - or which pin of the fuel pump relay it goes to.
82 GTi Cabriolet EG engine
82 GTi Pretender PG engine
03 Supercharged V6 24v 4 Motion

mk2mitch

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking, but wasn't too sure if that a way of setting them up.
I had an old mk2 that had a similar thing but you could see that it had wires spliced in on the top of the coil. This one's pretty hidden apart from round the fuse box.
Thanks for the help
- Golf MK2 GTI
- Golf MK3 GLI
- Golf MK2 CL

mk2mitch

Quote from: mk2mitch on October 16, 2017, 07:37:16 PM
Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking, but wasn't too sure if that a way of setting them up.
I had an old mk2 that had a similar thing but you could see that it had wires spliced in on the top of the coil. This one's pretty hidden apart from round the fuse box.
Thanks for the help

Just a bit of an update. Finally got a clear patch in the weather so I could pull it out of the garage and get some work done.
Flicked that switch and it pumped fuel all the way up to the front. So weird that it would prime but not pump fuel when turning over, but oh well. That solves that issue.
It made a couple of gunshot noises cause it doesn't have an exhaust on it yet but its still wont run yet... Guess its on to more troubleshooting  :-\
- Golf MK2 GTI
- Golf MK3 GLI
- Golf MK2 CL