E Vehicles

Started by weta.worker, October 14, 2017, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weta.worker

Not sure if anyone has seen these videos (converted vehicles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJLdzRJdKrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=610Amyhpzzk

and then I went further down the rabbit hole

http://www.zelectricmotors.com/available/

and

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40

Pretty interesting stuff (and I have a soft spot \ interest \ can't ignore e-vehicles)
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

brian

It's an area I keep an eye on as electrics certainly have their advantages in a lot of everyday use but still suffer sev?ere limitations in others.
I see them as very viable second vehicle.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

schattenblau

and those converted classics seem to have even more limitations.

the 911 sounds like 110% ass !

leave the electric drive to modern EVs.

brian

Quote from: schattenblau on October 15, 2017, 11:31:09 AM

I would go along with this opinion 100%
As I see it the converted old vehicles combine the worst of both worlds. To work properly, the electric needs to be designed from the ground up for electric power and no hybrid nonsense to add a compromise to the whole design.

the phantom

Quote from: schattenblau on October 15, 2017, 11:31:09 AM

except that an older vehicle will inevitably be lighter than a contemporary one, therefore more range, performance etc, no electric seats, windows, air bags etc to weigh it down but more glass?  glass is heavy
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

schattenblau

i doubt the classic will be lighter with all the electrics and stuff put in.

:laugh:

Gordo

Well we call them motorcars, not enginecars...
Shame they didn't get a new tacho' face silk screened to reflect the motor rpm.
Electric karmann Ghia would be rather cool, IMO - but not a fan of retro-fitting overall and that Jaguar is sacrilege!
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

brian

Quote from: schattenblau on October 15, 2017, 06:29:01 PM
i doubt the classic will be lighter with all the electrics and stuff put in.

Yeah, with low strength steels and no aluminium probably heavier than purpose designed even with airbags etc. plus, that still had the weight of the gearbox in it as well!!

RobClubley

I'm surprised they left the gearbox in there. Surely it's not really needed.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

brian

Quote from: RobClubley on October 16, 2017, 02:42:26 PM
I'm surprised they left the gearbox in there. Surely it's not really needed.

I suspect that was for simplicity and certainly unnecessary from a driving point of view and just adding extra weight which should have been saved if they were even slightly serious................kind of thing one may do in their backyard shed!!

tjsmada

I remember the electric P6 Rovers in Gattaca were pretty cool. I've always thought an Audi 100/200 would be kind of neat as an electric vehicle

schattenblau

if you're going to fantasyland....

the film in time had a nice electric e-type.

were the cars in gattaca electric or atomic powered

;D

Horch

Just tragic to convert a classic car to full electric motive power.  The point of a classic restoration is to retain its original concept and appreciate its simplistic design or nostalgic value... I would have thought.

I agree with subtle enhancement to improve character and driving refinement. But turning popular classics into motoring eunuchs and Frankensteins. The average warm blooded enthusiast will respond with WTF?

Interesting that they don't upgrade an old Prius hybrid to an full EV ? (That's right ... because they're already a bloody disgrace). Am I alone or does everyone try to get into the solitairy 6cyl Holden siting 3 deep behind two Pruis at a taxi stand. If I'm paying full fare I'm emitting hydro carbons.

EV's will be upon us as fast as the development will allow and its staggering the investment under taken by the leading Europeans in the current arms race to be the first to volume production. I'm picking Tesla will go into financial collapse in the interim...  (Elon Musk = John Delorean??)

NZ needs to move along with the national infrastructure development required to support EV's with greater pace than current (excuse the pun). The average domestic 230v charging rates are to slow for real convenience. So households and businesses will need 3 phase wall box fast chargers to accomodate faster charge times. What's this mean for our national highways and tourist routes etc.

Truth is the sale of new hybrids and the limited EV's is no where near Simon Bridges objectives. That's because we are a 1 car per person nation of fossil fuel car loving people. We enjoy our present independence and freedom of driving range. And there is no incentive to convert to an EV. Ok...You can run up the bus lane for a couple weeks ..come on Si really.

The globally significant aspect aspect of EV introduction is yet to come. The long term loss of tax revenue from fossil fuel and displacement of industry(s) reliant on oil.  (Yeah I know...yawn)

While I'm waiting for the above I'll enjoy my classics running on good old fashioned motor spirits...

2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

dubstar

I disagree. Converting classics to EV is the only way they are going to stay on the road long term (in 25 years).  Eventually the tech will simply out-price petrol/diesel and then how long before petrol stations become non-existent?  Also, just the fact that you have a classic that is 'green' is enough to sell me on the idea. 

At the moment we aren't there yet with the battery tech, but we will be sooner rather later and then conversions become a very nice solution for classics.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

schattenblau

Quote from: tjsmada on October 16, 2017, 04:08:04 PM
I remember the electric P6 Rovers in Gattaca were pretty cool. I've always thought an Audi 100/200 would be kind of neat as an electric vehicle

Quote from: schattenblau on October 16, 2017, 04:17:09 PM
if you're going to fantasyland....

the film in time had a nice electric e-type.

were the cars in gattaca electric or atomic powered

;D

re-watching the film, it appears the cars were neither electric nor atomic; rather they were some form of gas turbine.

tjsmada

Just as nature intended then  ;)

Worms

At what percentage of NZs vehicle fleet being electric, do we run out of electricity (again)?

The last time we had to reduce consumption wasn't too long ago, was it?

Gordo

Quote from: Worms on October 17, 2017, 07:49:49 PM
At what percentage of NZs vehicle fleet being electric, do we run out of electricity (again)?

The last time we had to reduce consumption wasn't too long ago, was it?

And with the typical government shortsighted pennypinching there is also a decent risk of losing the main feed to Auckland as they decided not only to run the secondary power line through the volcanic plateau - with the probability of losing it from physical damage or from a build up of volcanic dust across the insulators - but they decided against a backup gas generator at Marsden Point where, IIRC, they took out the coal burner.
In theory, electric all the way, but there are also drawbacks.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

brian

Quote from: Gordo on October 17, 2017, 08:41:34 PM
And with the typical government shortsighted pennypinching there is also a decent risk of losing the main feed to Auckland as they decided not only to run the secondary power line through the volcanic plateau - with the probability of losing it from physical damage or from a build up of volcanic dust across the insulators - but they decided against a backup gas generator at Marsden Point where, IIRC, they took out the coal burner.
In theory, electric all the way, but there are also drawbacks.

Who's concerned about the Auckland electricity supply? ;D

Pushbutton_auto

We just tell Rio Tinto to fk off .........

:)
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.