MK5 Gti Cam follower

Started by Mk316vGti, October 16, 2017, 07:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mk316vGti

Anybody here have theirs fail?

Ive just bought a new (to me) mk5 with 95k on it and terrified after reading all the horror stories that seem to come from American VW sites.

Should I get this changed ASAP?

The Red Warrior

Not necessarily changed. But certainly inspect it. There are several YouTube videos on how to do it. What year is GTI? If it's 07 or newer the best YouTube video is by ROHECHT.
I check mine every 2nd oil change and usually change it if I have a new one.

Mk316vGti

Thanks for the reply, its an 06 with the BWA engine

DTM

If your going to inspect it you might as well change it , if you have no idea on how to take off the high pressure fuel pump get it done by someone who has the know how and done it plenty times with the right tools. I learnt the hard way and snapped the copper screw from cross threading  plus lost the tiny washer that goes inside the copper fuel line bolt which ive been told is scarcer than hens teeth.

I made such a bugger up i had to buy a second hand pump. Hennie helped me to fit the second hand unit on.Thanks again Hennie.

Naekyr

if it wasn't checked in the pre purchase inspection and there is no history in the service manual of it being replaced them you should get it checked/replaced asap

the part itself is very cheap

Mk316vGti

Thanks for the replies, currently getting new one fitted

DanZ

Mk316vGti

The part from VW was about $120 inc GST! Got to love living in NZ  :-\

DanZ

Mk316vGti

Expect to pay one hours labor

DanZ

This is quite cheap. I was expecting ~$500 all up.

Mk316vGti

Definitely not, I took the follower with me to my mechanic and he charged me for an hour. Where are you located?

DanZ

I'm located in Hamilton. I've got 09 Scirocco (2.0 TSI), not sure if i actually need this changed. Based on my understanding, only FSI have this issue?

dummer

Naekyr

Quote from: DanZ on October 19, 2017, 11:15:07 PM
I'm located in Hamilton. I've got 09 Scirocco (2.0 TSI), not sure if i actually need this changed. Based on my understanding, only FSI have this issue?

As above, tsi uses the roller mechanism which doesnt have the same wear issues

fsi: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/GIACUser/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxNDU4ODU4NDM=/?ref=

tsi: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/GIACUser/media/cGF0aDovSU1HXzEzNTJfenBzNDA1YzVjMjEuanBn/?ref=

GLIDN

if it help Anyone?

I'm waiting on more stock. but charge $150 installed for new a new follower.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Finlaymb

Greetings , 2 nd post ever here i have a 2009 pirelli in sunflower yellow maybe interested in a new follower . . . And few other questions on my mod journey with tbis car .

Pristle

Fairly simple to do if you're comfortable with tools in your hand. I picked up a kit (follower and o-ring) from Harry's.

Did the PCV at the same time.