MK4 R32 - ECU ReMap

Started by samdaynz, October 25, 2017, 11:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filx

Quote from: McDoof on November 02, 2017, 10:28:05 AM
Really there is only one way to see.
Genuine, made in NZ, before and after Dyno plots.

Agreed. But I doubt we'll see that any time soon.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

GLIDN

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 02, 2017, 01:11:31 PM
Hennie, whats the trade off for this power gain? Does the fuel economy suffer?

Nik if driving no differently? Then improvements have been seen. On my own R32 doing long distance driving I gained 100kms per tank.
Still not driving sedately however

Quote from: Filx on November 02, 2017, 02:49:25 PM
Agreed. But I doubt we'll see that any time soon.

Jump on my facebook page, if you feel you need prove right this very minute.
I'm not here to advertise, simply to assist just like everyone else.

Sorry I was working till 4am finish off cars, this is only reason I have not yet had chance to post anything as of yet.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

GLIDN

Period_Correct_

Hey Hennie, what are the factors that are in play to give those gains? What settings did you play with to achieve that? Do you think there's any more to gain at the sacrifice of something else?
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

80 Vert

I guess we'll never know what other modifications were done to achieve those numbers, a remap alone won't do that.
Dyno graph could relate to anything, no supporting evidence to suggest what car, where etc etc.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

le mans

I don't really fancy wading into this discussion, however one thing possibly worth noting is that factory tunes tend to favour a flat torque curve so it's possible the factory tune has the ignition significantly retarded below MBT (the ignition timing that gives the maximum torque at a given load point) lower down in the rpm range. The factory tune may also be leaner (for emissions) which would offer less knock resistance however knock isn't usually limiting on NA engine ie you get to MBT before it starts knocking. So I don't completely discount the possibility gains could be made without other hardware changes, however this is only speculation on my part.

McDoof

I've seen good gains on NA engines in the past, so that graph doesn't look out of the ordinary to me.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

schattenblau

ditto
and the graphs don't go backwards !
i've seen tunes (eg. honda ) which produced less power than stock.

;D

GLIDN

Quote from: NasTnaS on November 04, 2017, 08:52:09 AM
Hey Hennie, what are the factors that are in play to give those gains? What settings did you play with to achieve that? Do you think there's any more to gain at the sacrifice of something else?

Spent most of the time with variable valve timing then fuelling to achieve this.
This is was done a 3dr mk4 R32. Everything else being entirely stock (including Air filter)
Best part was that there was zero timing pull afterwards (Stock is actually between -3.5 and -4.5 degrees)

There is more power to be had. But with Stock Headers it's a little pointless as they cannot flow much more.
So Insuring the EGT's do not sky rocket is key.

Would I recommend the Headers + CAT removal on these? short answer is no, unless you had CAMS.
Power increase after this is not massive. Torque gain is noteworthy however.

But Cost of Headers, CAMS + labour and retuning. There are far better ways to spend money on a mk4 R32.
Such as Haldex upgrade, swaybars or Lighter brakes etc.

Having retuned a well known companies customers R32.
The tune was appalling with close to -11 degrees of timing pull (any power added was basically non-existent due to too much timing requested) . Can't believe the owner did not hear or feel the engine knock.
Removed this all, made the power more linear best of all after lots of logging. I spotted one case of -1.5 degrees of timing pull for 8 milliseconds. Just as a final touch, added no lift shift (Flat shifting) too.

Quote from: 80 Vert on November 04, 2017, 09:04:06 AM
I guess we'll never know what other modifications were done to achieve those numbers, a remap alone won't do that.
Dyno graph could relate to anything, no supporting evidence to suggest what car, where etc.

Doubt all you like John... I'm not here to convince you or even advertise my services as I stated previously.
You wanted a dyno graph of a before and after of a mk4 R32 on the dyno in 4wd mode, which is exactly what I provided.

However as a side note, that a remap alone can't achieve all that much?
On the 2014 RS7, I see gains of 97KW + 190Nm.
With nothing more than a remap alone. (Yes I understand its not even closely the same car)

Filx

Quote from: GLIDN on November 03, 2017, 05:59:56 PM
mk4_r32_dyno_stage1 by Hennie Sadie, on Flickr

There you go, before and after.

I can't say that vague photo of a dyno screen does anything to make me less skeptical. I mean who's dyno was that? When was that done?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, each to their own. I guess what you're saying is that VAG, with their millions of dollars and years of R&D, trying to sell performance cars in a highly competitive car market are leaving a lot of gains on the table with their NA engine mapping. Doesn't make sense to me but if people are happy to buy the maps and happy with the results then that's up to them.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

GLIDN

Quote from: Filx on November 13, 2017, 07:49:06 AM
I can't say that vague photo of a dyno screen does anything to make me less skeptical. I mean who's dyno was that? When was that done?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, each to their own. I guess what you're saying is that VAG, with their millions of dollars and years of R&D, trying to sell performance cars in a highly competitive car market are leaving a lot of gains on the table with their NA engine mapping. Doesn't make sense to me but if people are happy to buy the maps and happy with the results then that's up to them.

Well they do spend loads on R&D in a sense of fitting one model into all regions, fuel types and markets.
Yes, some markets have the ability to go more.

If we followed this train of thought? It would be impossible to unlock close to 80kw of power out of a Golf R by adding a few bolt on parts.
Therefore it's all relative.

If any of the Admin, don't mind me advertising company name or the likes?
I'll post it up.

McDoof

Quote from: Filx on November 13, 2017, 07:49:06 AM

VW does mass manufacturing. Each engine is slightly different. So they tune the car with the lowest common denominator in mind, then take a bit more out in case they got one wrong so that they don't end up with warranty issues. Each factory tune is done to provide the same experience with each and every car the rolls off the factory floor. That goes for power, economy, emissions and even down to the way the car sounds.

So what the leaves is a bit of headroom. Some cars have more than others even if they have come off the same assembly line.

This is the same thing across all mass produced vehicles.

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

ERRRNO

Yawn...

As far as I?m concerned. A bold claim to power increase was challenged by one member who then asked for graphs to support their claim. Graph was posted. End of story I think.
Black 3door Mk4 TDI - Elite Motorsport Hyper miler
Tornado Red Mk5 2.0 TFSI Variant - Elite Motorsport Stage 2
White Mk6 GTI DSG - Elite Motorsport Stage 1

80 Vert

Yes YAWN indeed, Yawn to this whole thread.
The most vague possible graph was produced, does not prove anything.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration