deBOVering

Started by Feeding Cone, November 07, 2017, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feeding Cone

So whoever owned my car in Japan did lots weird things - one of which was installing and relocating a HKS blowoff valve - which isn't odd in of it's self, except that it doesn't make any noise, so why someone went to the hassle of doing it shall forever remain a mystery - maybe because the stock DVs were a weak point?

I want to put the factory diverter setup back in; and while I had the engine cover off and the battery tray out over the weekend I had the opportunity to have a good look at what exactly is going on with the BOV plumbing. I'm not sure what a factory setup should look like though in terms of it's routing... however I know it's not how it's currently plumbed in.

The current BOV is more or less setup like a DV - it's venting back to the cold side of the intake path, i'm not sure if anything is dumped to atmosphere.

What I'm trying to figure out is what exactly I'll need to do to get the car back to stock:

1) A OEM Diverter valve
2) presumably some hose or pipe (is this a hard line? I'm not sure) that needs to join back up to the intake path somewhere. This is the tricky bit as I don't know where it should be plumbed in.

It may prove easier to just route the factory DV into my current setup with the boost line routed better.

Where the current line ties in - assuming the factory DV was somewhere around here? Forgive the shoddy photo.

Boost line runs under the engine cover and along the front of the engine

Into the BOV - in front of the battery.

and down into intake path again... assuming the T piece and all the other bits in there are aftermarket. The flex coupling by the intercooler is purple...

So, how hard does everyone think it'll be to put the DV back in? It doesn't need to be exactly stock, but it does need to look like it's stock-ish so I have some degree of plausible deniability when I checked "this car is not modified" on the insurance form...

dummer

HKS do make diverter valve which make minimum noise
https://youtu.be/wfwMlGFxlWQ

Normal GTI has diverter valve on the right hand side under the turbo https://shopdap.com/blog/post/how-to-check-install-20t-fsi-dv-diverter-valve(hence you take off the driver side wheel splash guard to replace it).

I think you may have ED30/S3 setup and install the valve on the T for noise pipe

So to revert back to "normal" I guess you first need to check if you have a K03 or K04 turbo and have to replace the whole intercooler pumbing (at least the cold side) for K03.

Feeding Cone

Hmmm. Well it would certainly deepen the mystery if it had a K04 in it. However I doubt it, although it was making a wee bit more power than stock. I mostly put that down to holding a bit more boost and an exhaust...

I'll see what it looks like if you take the wheel and guard off. Hopefully I can read digits on the turbo housing...

dummer

either wheel guard or borrow your girlfriend selfie stick and see if you can take a pic looking up from the drive shaft

DAPPR

It looks like it's in the factory location for a K03 turbo, but is just an aftermarket DV plumbed into the factory lines.
If you want to use the factory piston type diverter valve, the part number is 06H145710D.

dummer

What r u going to do with the hks?

Feeding Cone

Um, when I remove it I'll probably pop it up on here for someone else to use.
I can't actually read the plate on the turbo at the moment (no selfie stick) - 8 week old baby precludes me from too many vanity projects right now.

GLIDN

the power the car made along with boost pressures

you most certainly have a k03 mk5 gti turbo and running stock power.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning