Leak in 2000 S4 B5

Started by maxpearson, November 08, 2017, 09:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpearson

Has anyone had a leak in their S4 where the drivers foot well fills up?
2000 S4 B5
1997 A4 B5

le mans

Does it have a sunroof? If leaking the water can travel along the roof to the A pillar and then down into the floor pan.

maxpearson

Quote from: le mans on November 08, 2017, 09:34:51 AM
Does it have a sunroof? If leaking the water can travel along the roof to the A pillar and then down into the floor pan.

No it doesn?t have a sun roof. Previous owner had it garaged so never knew. But when cleaning it it never leaks
2000 S4 B5
1997 A4 B5

Brett

Check the battery tray area. Common for the drain bung there to get blocked up. Also the A/C drain pipe could be causing it
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

Turbo

Had it happen on my old B5 A4.
Blocked drainage hole on the little bit of body panel near the windscreen on passenger's side.
Only happened when parked on an incline.
Real bugger trying to dry the insulation foam in the footwell.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

maxpearson

Yeah sorted that! Cheers mate
Quote from: Turbo on December 20, 2017, 08:42:30 PM
Had it happen on my old B5 A4.
Blocked drainage hole on the little bit of body panel near the windscreen on passenger's side.
Only happened when parked on an incline.
Real bugger trying to dry the insulation foam in the footwell.
2000 S4 B5
1997 A4 B5

vonripsnorter

Super Super Common on the B5 A4 & B5 Passat
The two drain plugs clog up & the water then makes its way into the car. Most people don't notice until its too late & start getting problems with either the central locking and or alarm and or the transmission on (Automatic cars)  can start doing funny changes . This is because the control units for these are located under the front seats.
( Open them up & make sure they are dry inside otherwise issues will arise later when the terminals start to corrode)

One bung is under the brake booster ( reasonably easy to get too ) & the other is under the battery so this has to be removed along with its mounting plate & you will then have easy assess to the bung.
I would clear these both out once a year every year when I had my A4 & Passat & you will never have the problem again. I always did it at the same time the car was in for its annual service as part of the service   

If you own a B5 or B5.5 , just do it & do it now, this effects ALL of them