Jerky DSG shifts

Started by Jaycray NZ, October 31, 2017, 03:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaycray NZ

Hi again guys,

So I?ve made a small post before about how my MK5 GTI shifts are quite jerky.

It?s fine when in low revs and just cruising along, but when I accelerate it just jerks between shifts.

Now I recently got a DSG service and they said they also did the DSG adaption. I really thought this would solve the issue but it hasn?t and I?m starting to think it could be a bigger issue than I thought...

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated as it really does worry me when it happens and is not smooth at all.

Cheers,

James

Naekyr

have you scanned it?

could be many things, hopefully its not a mechatronic unit or that's gonna cost you quite a bit

Jaycray NZ

Yeah I?ve scanned it, no transmission/engine related issues...sure hope it?s not a mechatronic  issue :(

Feeding Cone

Worn transmission(dogbone) mount?

Jaycray NZ

Quote from: Feeding Cone on October 31, 2017, 07:59:07 PM
Worn transmission(dogbone) mount?

Never thought of this..is this a common issue? Also do you think a scan would show if there's a problem with it? Or possibly not.

Feeding Cone

I highly doubt a scan will pick it up - It's a rubber/urathane mount (ultimately whats connecting the transmission to the chassis) that's perishing / worn.

The american GTI forums swear by inserts that you push up into the voids of the OEM mount to reduce movement/wheel hop etc. Here's a billet one, but most of them are urethane - they're pretty cheap and can be had from loads of places it seems. However yours sounds real bad so maybe you should replace the whole mount rather than just putting an insert in.

You need to jack the car up and see what you can see.... it could be suspension related too, again worn bushings etc

deedub

DSG can be a bit unpredictable at times. Is it jerky shifting in manual mode as well?

Because the system pre-selects the next gear based on what the computer thinks you are going to do next, if it gets it wrong then you end up with a shift which takes more than twice as long as when it gets it right. This can lead to a rougher shift experience. Not saying this is your issue at all- but this is a good thread on vortex that is worth a read all the same.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5989734-How-to-Play-The-DSG-Game-and-Win-DSG-Driving-Tips-and-Tricks

Apparently, they are statically programmed and do not learn your driving style. I'm not sure if this is still true for newer ones.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

Jaycray NZ

Thanks for that info guys, thanks deedub I'll definitely have a read of that.

It's jerky while shifting in every mode. I forgot to mention it has a Stage 1 Bluefin Remap currently, but I don't think it has anything to do with the problem.

I'm trying to think of a better word than "jerk" it's feels like a thud if that makes sense but it's not overly violent, just makes me lurch forward in my seat a little.

slowmo

Is it like a ?clunk? when the DSG automatically shifts up/down or when you press or lift the throttle pedal?
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Jaycray NZ

I wouldn?t call it a clunk, it?s more when I am accelerating semi fast between gears, it feels like a thud/jerk

GLIDN

Quote from: Jaycray NZ on November 01, 2017, 03:22:50 PM
Thanks for that info guys, thanks deedub I'll definitely have a read of that.

It's jerky while shifting in every mode. I forgot to mention it has a Stage 1 Bluefin Remap currently, but I don't think it has anything to do with the problem.

I'm trying to think of a better word than "jerk" it's feels like a thud if that makes sense but it's not overly violent, just makes me lurch forward in my seat a little.

Firstly, remove the Bluefin and monitor the car.
I helped an Ed30 owner a while back with similar complaints. It ended up being the incorrect torque load maps in the file which gave the DSG shifting the jerkiness.

Next step is to look at your engine mounts, both top mounts along with your gearbox mount also.
worked on a friends golf doing a DSG service for him. Engine mounts were that worn I could rock the entirely engine by removing only a spark plug.

After installing new engine mounts along with DSG service and adaption. The car has been near perfect ever since.

Have a look at the above suggestions. Report back once you have done them. Then will try and assist with more recommendations.
There after, depending on where you are located? Pop down to our shop I'll take a quick look for you and check clutch wear rates etc.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Jaycray NZ

Quote from: GLIDN on November 03, 2017, 05:38:09 PM
Firstly, remove the Bluefin and monitor the car.
I helped an Ed30 owner a while back with similar complaints. It ended up being the incorrect torque load maps in the file which gave the DSG shifting the jerkiness.

Next step is to look at your engine mounts, both top mounts along with your gearbox mount also.
worked on a friends golf doing a DSG service for him. Engine mounts were that worn I could rock the entirely engine by removing only a spark plug.

After installing new engine mounts along with DSG service and adaption. The car has been near perfect ever since.

Have a look at the above suggestions. Report back once you have done them. Then will try and assist with more recommendations.
There after, depending on where you are located? Pop down to our shop I'll take a quick look for you and check clutch wear rates etc.

Thanks for your input GLIDN, I'll remove the bluefin and check the mounts next week and post back on here. I'm in CHCH unfortunately as I believe you're in AKL? Thanks anyway mate, much appreciated!

Jamizzle74

Having a similar issue, Noticed it always jerks from 2nd to 3rd on hard throttle or on a cold engine. In manual and S mode it's completely fine.  :(